AaronWilson.

Minerva in Hunters.

So I played my first game with our new addition this afternoon and wow, she is just as good as her card looks. She's probably one of the best early activations we have, leaving players on low health and removing them with Minerva is amazing because -

It's almost guaranteed Eye spy's / Harriers as the player is normally Snared and / or crowded out, so you can take a momentous eye spy / harrier, two of either then kill the player as well as her pseudo tooled up if your below recovery level means it's even more reliable. Then on top of all that you get a free come on mate, just damnnnn. She blew my mind, she's a better additong then I thought (and I thought she was a amazing one).

She's fantastic!  Any thoughts on how the rest of the lineup shifts around her?  I've got 7 models I want to bring nearly all the time now, and having a hard time sorting who to kick out where.

She's great.

I like that SFG is making models now that have a lot of power in exchange for being telegraphed set up. There's few situations where your opponent doesn't get to react to Minerva's setup - either they get activations where they can see her inf stack ready to prep a kill, or she puts it up and passes the turn back giving you an opportunity to react. In exchange, she setup she does bring is hugely impactful.

Smiths release feels like the point in the game where SFG realised that making setup heavy models, and big payoff models that require setup to do work, results in a game where nobody gets deleted without warning but everyone gets to do powerful things anyway, which imo is a good place for the game to be in.

I'd like to see more models like Minerva / Meathook / Hearth in other guilds. Powerful pieces but not in such a way that there's no opportunity for the opponent to deal with it.

I agree Guantlet. It is mostly the no once per turn restriction on Nocturnal Hunting that has been feeling most off for me. It either does nothing, or it can snowball real hard for the player who is already winning. I just generally dislike snowball mechanics and that is one reason I love GB so much with scoring giving over the resource - i.e. come back mechanics. 

It does however have some interesting implications, such as she cannot come on mate herself, meaning she is a prime target to take out, and that mascot kills can be "more valuable" than normal without giving extra points as other abilities might.

5 minutes ago, Warpstoned said:

I agree Guantlet. It is mostly the no once per turn restriction on Nocturnal Hunting that has been feeling most off for me. It either does nothing, or it can snowball real hard for the player who is already winning. I just generally dislike snowball mechanics and that is one reason I love GB so much with scoring giving over the resource - i.e. come back mechanics. 

It does however have some interesting implications, such as she cannot come on mate herself, meaning she is a prime target to take out, and that mascot kills can be "more valuable" than normal without giving extra points as other abilities might.

I feel like Nocturnal Hunting is a big sign saying 'Kill Minerva First' - which is probably correct anyway. It feels like beating up Minerva is intended to be one of the primary ways of dealing with her - she needs to be within 2" of enemies to be very impactful, she doesn't have fantastic defensive stats (not that they're awful or anything) and she wants to commit to a fight early on.

Nocturnal Hunting, to me, feels like a more focused version of the Shelling Out mp bonus - you get twice as much, but you have to use it on Come On Mate specifically rather than getting a universal benefit.

Hunters and Falconers are also in general pretty flimsy, so Nocturnal Hunting is less powerful than it would be in, say, Engineers, since most of the time if a Hunter starts taking a noticeable amount of damage they are probably dead.

There are certainly play and counter play to her. And she is not the end all be all or even close, text conversation makes it sound harder than I intend it to. 

It is probably just a bit of my kneejerk reaction to one of the top guilds getting a(nother) powerful piece. It is also devalues the minor a bit when one of their powerhouse models can play for the major instead - for minor guild longevity/uniqueness. 

27 minutes ago, Warpstoned said:

There are certainly play and counter play to her. And she is not the end all be all or even close, text conversation makes it sound harder than I intend it to. 

It is probably just a bit of my kneejerk reaction to one of the top guilds getting a(nother) powerful piece. It is also devalues the minor a bit when one of their powerhouse models can play for the major instead - for minor guild longevity/uniqueness. 

I feel like Rundaas and Devana are unique and powerful enough that Falconers feel unique and interesting. The hunters and falconers share the setup pieces but have different payoff which I'm fine with.

Yeah, Falconers and Hunters play differently. Falconers don't really control - they are all out damage, where as Hunters want to control with Snared and Theron shenanigans. 

Sure, Hunters are getting a sweet deal - no doubt. But Falconers still have her and all her chums and Harriers do more for Falconers.

Incidentally I've been very happy with Mataagi in hunters also. Mainly because he can fill a similar niche to oMinx, of being a model that can be given 1 influence and get good work done with it.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:32 AM, EpicChris said:

Yeah, Falconers and Hunters play differently. Falconers don't really control - they are all out damage, where as Hunters want to control with Snared and Theron shenanigans. 

Sure, Hunters are getting a sweet deal - no doubt. But Falconers still have her and all her chums and Harriers do more for Falconers.

True but I think they make marvelous additions to Theron. Theron is the king of control but they arent butchers and he is weak to high scoring teams (glares at the fishs and smiths).  With theron mataggi can pretty reliable deal out 12dmg plus bleed on some poor sob and minerva can possibly get 16 with a little help. And now minerva is the only thing that can help with condition control.  I am wondering if we will start seeing theron with those 2 more often.