Sign in to follow this  
cruehitman

Newbie questions aka Help an idiot

Hey there! Yes it will be readily apparent that I have newbie tattooed on my forehead with these questions... but I’m really enjoying this awesome game and want to make sure we’re playing it correctly. So here we go

1) For AOE... does a model have to have its entire base within, a majority of the base within, or just any part of its base touching it for it to have/take effect? Example: Feathered Friends for Ikaros... states he gains cover and 1 TAC when he is “within” the AOE. What officially constitutes as within?

2) Air Mail character play... so let me get this straight. Devana can jog or sprint, and then “give” the ball to any teammate within 14”?! 

3) This is probably the one thing I’m having the hardest time making sure I’m doing it correctly. I understand how character plays work. Range number, hit anyone within that range. S can only target itself. P can only be triggered via playbook result and will involve current target. I understand the way to pay for them, zone, OPT, etc. However, if you pay for a play with INF rather then a playbook result, you then roll dice equal to the amount of INF paid correct? Now targeting friendly models, I know i don’t have to roll if i don’t want to. I can just automatically succeed if i choose. But does EVERY other play involving an enemy target(s) require rolling dice equal to cost? For instance I believe with Stave from Brewers to use lob a barrel... he spends 2 INF and then would roll 2 dice for every model involved in AOE to see if they are pushed and knocked down correct? Where this leads to confusion though is sometimes like looking at Snap Fire for Mataagi... costs 1 INF. I know it’s a ranged attack up to 6” in LOS which can be nice even though it only does 1 damage unless modified in some way. But does that mean I truly only roll 1 die against enemies defense to see if i can hit? (Not counting bonus time possibility here of course)... just want to make sure that we’re playing these correctly. 

4) Flying trait... i know i can’t finish my movement overlapping barriers and/or other model bases of course. But when it says to ignore model bases when moving, does it mean literally pretend the model isn’t there, thus allowing me to move “fly” over them? Or just the edges of their bases?

5) I see people mention they’re going to try 3-0 or even 2-2 a lot. At first I thought they were talking about their records, but the more I saw it, the more I think they’re referring to something else. Any clue? 

Think that’s it for now. Any help is truly appreciated! Thanks!

1. If you are touching an AoE (or anything), you are classed as being within that AoE.

2. Yes. The Ball can end up on a friendly model that's within 22" of Devana's starting position 

3. It sounds like you have worked out how Character Players work. For example, Snap Fire you will 1 roll dice to hit (before bonus time additions). Baring in mind that the model using the Character Play will still lose dice for crowd-outs (1 dice per enemy model engaging the user). The target isn't affected by Gang-Ups for Character Plays.

4. Flying allows you to completely ignore a model as if it wasn't there

5. 3-0, 2-2, 4-1, 6-0 are ways of winning a game. For example, you can score 3 Goals and no Take-Outs (3-0) or you can score 4 Take-Outs and 1 Goal (4-1). Normally, most teams will end up winning 2-2 (2 Goals, 2 Take-Outs).

I hope this helps, ask if you need any clarifications for the above.

To clarify 4) further; Flying means the model can move over other models, but it does not ignore them for the purpose of parting blows. So you can fly straight across an enemy model but if you move out of their melee range they will still get to hit you.

Just thought of another, quick clarification on a character play. Ikaros has Taking Flight. So he can do his normal advance action. Then spend INF to move again via jog while now having Flying trait as well, thus allowing him two total movements that turn? I’m guessing the Flying trait only lasts to end of turn? And in theory, that means he could actually also use that character play before any normal advance and “fly” up to 5”, then turn around and use his advance action and “fly” either another 5” or 7” correct?

Also looking at Devana for example, if she uses Death From Above to attack a target 6” away, and she gets the Tackle result in her playbook, does she take possession of the ball even though she’s that far away? 

13 minutes ago, cruehitman said:

Just thought of another, quick clarification on a character play. Ikaros has Taking Flight. So he can do his normal advance action. Then spend INF to move again via jog while now having Flying trait as well, thus allowing him two total movements that turn? I’m guessing the Flying trait only lasts to end of turn? And in theory, that means he could actually also use that character play before any normal advance and “fly” up to 5”, then turn around and use his advance action and “fly” either another 5” or 7” correct?

Ikaros' Taking Flight is an interesting case. The 2 clauses on the  Character Play (CP) can be taken in either order. Either he can Jog, and then gain Flying or he can gain Flying and then jog. This is important because when he's flying he can't get the MOV boost from harrier AOEs or fast ground. This jog is in addition to his Standard Advance. As with all CPs, Flying will last until the end of the turn. For example, he can use his Standard Advance and Taking Flight in either order:

1. He Jogs, then uses Taking Flight to Jog again, and then gains Flying
  2. He Jogs, then uses Taking Flight to gain Flying and then Jogs again using flying
  3. He uses Taking Flight to gain flying then Jogs using Flying, and then uses his standard advance to make a second Jog using Flying.

13 minutes ago, cruehitman said:

Also looking at Devana for example, if she uses Death From Above to attack a target 6” away, and she gets the Tackle result in her playbook, does she take possession of the ball even though she’s that far away? 

Correct. Hot Shot also works this way.

From the rulebook: "In order to make a Shot, a model must spend [1]MP in addition to the Influence cost for making a Kick"

Reverie only discounts the influence cost, not the momentum so yes, you need to still spend momentum.

Not so much answering anything, but another newbie needing help, i know ball possesion is kept during advancments, pushes, and such, but what about placement effects, such as with Jackstraw

On 8/11/2018 at 10:03 PM, oora101 said:

Not so much answering anything, but another newbie needing help, i know ball possesion is kept during advancments, pushes, and such, but what about placement effects, such as with Jackstraw

You keep the ball - same applies to e.g. Smoke's Cloud jumper or Crucible's Slip past.