Sign in to follow this  
Mootaz

Explain Ebb to me

I've read on several occasions that people are very high on Ebb. For me he is one of the easy drops in my lineup. So what do people like about Ebb?

He is a source of damage and can potentially deal momentous damage. But I don't think he is really efficient and mostly a supporter that I don't need.

He deals momentous damage, he is hard to kill, he solves ARM which is one of the Navigators’ most obvious weaknesses, and he helps with terrain mitigation. On top of that he still has the standard footballing ability of the guild so he can steal the ball and score pretty easily.

He provides a lot of help to the team, some of it without needing any INF at all. He is also a key piece if you want the option of being able to go 2-2, which is a good option to have available.

He’s probably not the best player in the team (hello Azimuth), but I think you’re crazy if you’re dropping him before Horizon.

Horizon is the first to go 🙂

Basically it comes down to "Angel or Ebb" for me. Maybe I value "Linked" too much, but I think Angel is stronger than him in Navigators. For me that whole "terrain" mitigation is not an issue as it is very situational (too situational).

I will have to do some tests to see if he does enough damage to reliably go for a 2-2 (with Azimuth).

Maybe the way to go is "Angel when receiving, Ebb when kicking".

I think you are overvaluing Linked a lot, yes. Fathom should be able to just snag the ball and score herself most of the time. I don’t think Linked solves Angel’s problems. She still can’t do anything in her own activation if she doesn’t have the ball, so you’re counting on Linked activations for her to be useful, whereas Ebb will always have something to provide the team.

Linked is a nice surprise, but takes some setting up. It would be much more useful if both of them had it (so it didn't matter which one went first) or if Angel was a 2" model. 

If they're both the same distance from the ball or goal, or if they're both blocked by the opposition, etc. then linked as it stands is definitely less effective. It can give Angel the 4 inch pass dodge with the opposing player unable to react, but it is much more effective if you have positioned Angel ahead of Fathom. Otherwise you're either backtracking (fine for avoiding some parting blows) or Fathom might as well score herself.

With a little momentum and positioned in cover, Fathom has a 22" threat range.... not seeing the need for linked with that combo. Add to that the 2" melee range and a dodge or two.

The need of linked is that it gives you 4 influence to get the ball and 4 to make the goal. More likely you have a few on each of those models and still being useful. More often than not, fathom has enough to get the ball but can't score in the same activation. Angel could help with that. I try to determine if she is good enough for that. My first instinct is that she us to slow for that. But I might be wrong. In navigators, every single model is to powerful to make a place for Angel, especially since if there is one model to go, siren compete with her for the place. In fish... Maybe that combo could be useful...

I feel kind of the opposite. There's no one I want to drop from my fish teams to include Angel, but I could see using Fathom to get the ball and Angel to score on a team with less 2" model options. I used to use Angel a lot until my opponents caught on and made it more feasible to use a 2" model instead. That makes a huge difference.

As to goals, Angel has an 18" threat plus a momentous dodge on her first result. It's hard to picture her being in a position where getting a pass from Fathom and taking the 4" pass and move added to her own 8 to 10" move plus 10" kick distance wouldn't get her to the goal. Super Shot ensures she'll still be shooting with 4 dice even if she doesn't escape someone's melee zone.

Add to that 'Full Speed Ahead', 'Perfect Course', or 'Guide', and I don't think getting to the goal is the issue for Angel. She simply isn't a threat to a smart opponent holding the ball.

I used to use 'Tidal Surge' on her, but overall it's just more efficient for Shark to do it himself, or focus on Sakana or Greyscales.

In fact, that's kinda the problem of Angel. Everything she does she does fire a to high price... A lot of influence nut turning into momentum or placement advantage. Supershot and nimble are powerful, but run + nimble + supershot + shot is all her influence. Greyscale is usually safer shooting at 17" for 3 and unpredictable being free. Only 3 dice so, but with 3" mute he can get to tap in, where Angel would need 5 more. Also greyscale has one spare influence to make momentum (which can be for free if you manage to get the free where'd they go from the playbook). And greyscale isn't even our best Stryker...

Getting 2-3 influence to maybe getting one snapshot at the end of the turn usually don't worth it, better get some momentum and grab the next turn first activation.

Well, about Ebb, I think he is one of our most versatile player (at least, non captain player). Azimuth is not really great at playing the ball (even if he is far from bad at it, with close control and everything) and the other one ar not that good at killing, people... Only he is vast enough to score and have momentous damage, momentous KD, Distance damage, armor mitigation (so ball, damage, [soft]control And weird buff) ... Horizon can also play for the kill once he return and is quite good at playing the ball, but it is quite harder, and when it he can't it is just useless to do it, while ebb can just do a few damage, getting the momentum and saving some for later.

And  I think you take it the wrong way when you say that terrain mitigation is not an issue. It is like the old everblight from Hordes. If you always play around terrain, it is never an issue. If you avoided every forest, being eyeless and pathfinder never was usefull. But when you started to hide just on the other side, that was terrible. Here we have the same thing. If you never hide on the other side of a wall, smooth the way is probably useless. same for true path and rough terrain/forest. But, whereas there was often no forest for everblight, there is always at least two wall on a guildball table (or it should, according to the organized play document), so you always can hide and wait for the right time to smooth the way and charge. For free. And two more dice. On a KD target. With Azimuth. Whil you're opponent can't come for you and can't really do anything else than flee. Also one of my favorite way to use Goad have always been to force my opponent over a wall. Well not here.

Yep... everything on that Guild remind me from my everblight heart. Especially Ebb and that Legendary...

I just hope the wall will not fade away from the middle of the pitch because of that... like forest did elsewhere.