dwhite87

Tempo-Smiths. A new way to play Blacksmiths

I came up with a way to play Blacksmiths (that includes Anvil & Sledge) that's been dominating. I can outfight Butchers & Brewers with this tempo style, easy. 

We talk about it in our latest podcast. Navigators cards are discussed for the first portion but at the 56:00 minute mark I go into my list, theory behind it and lineup. 
http://midwestwargaming.com/podcast/the-pitch-ep-18/

Hey Dan,  Look forward to hearing the podcast.  Not sure if this is the same as your style but I believe another gentlemen also has been having great success with rotating the captain spot between Burnish, anvil and hearth.  Apparently Anvil into fish and alchemist, hearth into masons and burnish into everything else.

I still used Ferrite my captain choice, but mostly for her turn 1 legendary.  My style is about pulling out all the stops and going all-in on turn one. 

It doesn't work into a few matchups, Corsair being one so its awesome that you shared that info that someone else is rotating captains and finding success. I really want to try making Anvil my captain into fish so now I'm more excited to give it a go. 

On 8/9/2018 at 7:35 PM, Riozaki said:

Corsair is rough, but shark is easy mode as long as you have ferrite and iron lol.  Share if you figure out the corsair matchup lol

What makes you consider Shark easy mode when bringing Ferrite and Iron? I play fish myself and while I prefer playing Corsair into Smiths, I don’t really see what Ferrite and Iron bring that would counter Shark very well.

On 8/13/2018 at 2:44 AM, Falkman said:

What makes you consider Shark easy mode when bringing Ferrite and Iron? I play fish myself and while I prefer playing Corsair into Smiths, I don’t really see what Ferrite and Iron bring that would counter Shark very well.

I only have about 10 games with smiths vs fish so my experience is much more limited than yours (6/10 were probably shark). From my experience having iron near a mastering making him 2/3 while ferrite disarms shark in my experience can make him a very sad panda  :(

That is just my experience personally, your shark playing is probably on a whole other caliber lol.

I tried your list the other day.  It was very interesting. I played against union and vRage. I was forced to charge abit early with vCinder because Gutter got the ball and could dodge into charge range. 

Also a small obstacle and a dodge on Benediction made Sledge fail to charge so that took alot of the tempo out of the match. However the list gave one of my meta's best player a real headache so i smell potensial for the list.

Also enjoyed the podcast so thanks for that

Well the system worked for me last night. 

I had a difficult time blocking countercharges and lost Farris at the end of turn one. Murder gran AKA Fallow was tooled up and in Grange’s aura.

But due to some lucky scatters Turn  2 went my way.

I've played it against farmers and falconers. My game vs falconers fell apart when I walked vcinder and sledge back on in range to be taken out by Rundaas. If I hadn't been stupid and done that I had a good shot.

Ran the list just yesterday in my local meta 3/0. Neither fish nor falcon really appreciated the amount of hate I was generating. 

A very well balanced comp as it felt that every model was useful in their own way turn by turn.

Will be interesting to see what it brings in S4

*Newer blacksmiths player* 

Does this tempo smiths idea still hold? Any major changes that need to be done? My guess is Ferrite would not be captain now?

On 12/27/2018 at 1:28 AM, ncw103 said:

*Newer blacksmiths player* 

Does this tempo smiths idea still hold? Any major changes that need to be done? My guess is Ferrite would not be captain now?

It doesn't work now as the cards have been changed. 

But the concept is still good. It is difficult to win the momentum race because to opponent's figures can be removed so fast. ;)

2 good swings with Sledge is a maximum of 5 MP!

But there are other ways of applying pressure. Watch the Beardminis you tube "Don't touch the Beard" where he plays against Barry. I think it is number 25. 

Edited by The Old Buzzard
corrected errors.