Sign in to follow this  
MartyJB

Daughter of Falcons - First Impressions

I'm not normally one to complain, but having eagerly awaited the Minor Guild for the Hunters, I am a little disappointed. I received my set today which i purchased from a LGS rather than SFG direct as I would normally, because I wanted the Limited Edition mini, which was included in the LGS bundle.

On inspecting the figures, I've found that a number of them have major mould lines on them, and more urgently, that the Goal Post mini was leaning over at a strange angle. In the the process of straightening it, it snapped off, lucky where the bottom is joined into the base. With care and a little bit of careful scrapping away, I've been able to superglue the Goal post back into the base, at a more reasonable angle, so it look straight.

Of late, I've been championing SFG's PVC quality on a number of Kick Starters, I hope that the set of Daughter of Falcons, I have received is a one off. I hope the Quality of both the Godtear, Critical Role and Dungeon and Doggies minis that I'll be receiving next year are back to the standard of the Farmers and Blacksmiths Guild box sets, which were of a very high quality.

I'll have to reconsider purchasing future Minor Guilds for the Major Guilds I have.

Martin

You're not alone, mine have issues too.

In addition to mould lines:

• The goal post leans to the right from the front - maybe fixable with some heat.
  • Mataagi's left arm socket has a lot of glue in it making it look dislocated.
  • Rundaas' torso is very poorly aligned with his legs, it overhangs at the front.
  • Minerva has literally no facial detail... need I say more? 

I've contacted support, waiting to hear back.

My brothers resin Mortician's have a lot of issues too, they've sending him replacements in 2-4 weeks.

I'm waiting on the resin Hunter's, and have backed the Godtear kickstarter as well, so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Too much to complain about recently, hopefully things will turnaround come season 4.

I got both of the Blacksmiths and they are far from a very high quality.

But I saw my friends Falconers today and I have to say that the "best quality pvc in the market" is a very misguided self praise. 

I was quite looking forward to the Navigators but I'm not at all sure I'm willing to pay the price tag. 

Godtear was super good value in the price it was. So if this is the quality, eh, it's okay with that game. Not with Guild Ball. 

As always, issues such as these should be directed to support@steamforged.com and include pictures of the items with issues. Falconers seem to be having their fare share it would seem from recent social media activity.

Did You guys expect quality level equal to metal minis? PVC is ok-ish for boardgames, not for wargaming. Only muli part metal or hard plastic provides sufficent quality. Resin aswell, but it has its own problems.

1 hour ago, el009 said:

Did You guys expect quality level equal to metal minis? PVC is ok-ish for boardgames, not for wargaming. Only muli part metal or hard plastic provides sufficent quality. Resin aswell, but it has its own problems.

@el009 - to date, I've been very impressed by the quality of the SFG PVC stuff and it has rivaled their metal figures, which I have quite a few. The Daughter of Falcons, however, seem to have been rushed in production at the factory, poor assembly and little if any Quality Control.

@Igpus - You might find as I did, that it's the spigot that is causing the problem, when mine broke off. after cleaning up the base and the odd bit of PVC on the bottom of the Post, that the spigot is slightly too large, so I had to file it down the diameter, to get it to sit in properly.

43 minutes ago, MartyJB said:

@el009 - to date, I've been very impressed by the quality of the SFG PVC stuff and it has rivaled their metal figures, which I have quite a few. The Daughter of Falcons, however, seem to have been rushed in production at the factory, poor assembly and little if any Quality Control.

I have Ratcatchers myself, gave close look to both Farmers and Smiths boxes and it's obvious for me that details level is nowhere near metal minis, PVC is bendy and mould lines are tricky to remove. That's the way PVC works, it has only one asset - price. I'm going to buy Navigators either way but I don't expect them to be masterpieces. 

Switching to PVC was a move I disliked but it is what it is.

38 minutes ago, naiconn1981 said:

In regards to adjusting the PVC, it's best to heat the PVC with a hair dryer or hot water.

It's not bent, it was never properly positioned on the base. The post is quite thick, but the factory have glued them to the base at an angle, not straight as they should be, I think the spigot that pins it to the sculpted base is slightly to large, so not fitting properly.

8 hours ago, el009 said:

I own both Falconers and Ratcatchers, and I've seen both boxes of Farmers and Smiths up close. 

This isn't about expectations for resin or metal (and as a war gamer of some three decades, I somewhat resent the inference that we're all green noobs who don't know the difference nor how to set our expecatations accordingly) this is about them not matching up to the same standard as existing and extablished PVC. 

Let’s not get caught up in who assumes what about who.

Though I am surprised, the sets have been improving each time - it would be a shame if qc was spoiling the trend!

16 hours ago, Mako said:

Let’s not get caught up in who assumes what about who.

Though I am surprised, the sets have been improving each time - it would be a shame if qc was spoiling the trend!

I wish I'd taken a photo now, before I tried to repair my leaning goalpost, it was leaning to the left and forward, as you looked at it from the front. And when it broke off you could see that only that quarter of the surface had made contact with the base underneath, the other 3/4 was unmelded PVC, hence why it broke off so easily.

Quality Control has certainly been slack on this set. Checked the rest this morning and have to say I agree with the comments about Minerva's facial feature, and my Rundaas' torso too, is a little misaligned, not so the torso over stands the legs, but certainly the belt is going to be very thick at the back, unless I add some green stuff to pack the back out a bit.

Surely when a figure is in two parts, then some sort of alignment or spigot pin should be employed, to make sure the parts match up correctly.

I really hope that this does not happen with the Godtear PVC sets next year, I've over £700 invested in sets, so don't want to waste my investment, as some of them are gifts for friends.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:15 AM, el009 said:

Have you seen the character models for Zombicide Black Plague? They are super high quality PVC and IMO easily suitable for wargaming. Way better than anything from SFG I've seen so far.

And then there's of course Kraken's early Alkemy miniatures from ten years ago which were resin-quality PVC (but also priced so). For some reason no one has done PVC minis the same way since so I don't know what their magic was.

Falconers do seem like they're easily the worst of SFG's PVC releases. A local player thought that Minerva had a mask since there's no facial detail. And her hand squeezes the staff weirdly (the staff is really thin where her hand grips it).

Here's hoping that this is a singular fluke and that Navigatos, Cooks, and Godtear will all be better.

I thought Farmers, Blacksmiths and Rats were fine - Rats were some of my most favourite models to paint. Falconers have suffered because of something - we don't know what. But they are not unusable by any means. And if you have a serious problem with any miniature, contact support@steamforged and they will sort you out. I have never had something wrong not resolved by SFG. I don't know what they'll do for Minerva, but I am sure they will do something.

So yes we've seen an issue - but I suggest contacting SFG and they will sort it out. I know SFG are aware of this and they (unlike some competitors) care about this. It will get sorted. I expect it was just a rushed/bad batch.

25 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

I thought Farmers, Blacksmiths and Rats were fine - Rats were some of my most favourite models to paint. Falconers have suffered because of something - we don't know what. But they are not unusable by any means. And if you have a serious problem with any miniature, contact support@steamforged and they will sort you out. I have never had something wrong not resolved by SFG. I don't know what they'll do for Minerva, but I am sure they will do something.

So yes we've seen an issue - but I suggest contacting SFG and they will sort it out. I know SFG are aware of this and they (unlike some competitors) care about this. It will get sorted. I expect it was just a rushed/bad batch.

Totally agree on all points! :)

That seems fair to me. The Erskirii Wolves resin models and some Minerva models have come out below Steamforged/community expectations, and so they are replacing both. You can't always fix things instantly, but where it does go wrong, they do fix it.

My Minerva was lacking detail on her face, but wasn't much different from my other models after painting. Frelsi (the eagle) has a lot of detail that you can paint up quickly with a base colour and a wash. Ikaros has a good face, and enjoyed painting Rundaas too.

The quality of the falcon set is the same as the kick off. Very dull. Not sharp and crisp at all. I got the rats too and they look much better. But then i have Lucky. He is super clean imo. Like the Rats. But now the real issue: finecast aka crapcast 2.0 in the Navigator pre order models ( and i fear that the set will have that bad quality too) the bases are different. Why? But the models are super flawed. Angel is a complete mess. Holes, not full legs, part at the clothes are missing. And much much more. This is the same bad product games workshop stuggled with and needed to put out of their programm. This and the falcon quality is the reason why i dont want to spend 70€ on the morticians. Both sets. This finecast resin stuff is bs. The plastic minis lacks constant quality. So i dont pre order anymore or but something out of the store. First i need to see the real figures and not renderings. 

On 8/15/2018 at 9:42 PM, m.jäger said:

The quality of the falcon set is the same as the kick off. Very dull. Not sharp and crisp at all. I got the rats too and they look much better. But then i have Lucky. He is super clean imo. Like the Rats. But now the real issue: finecast aka crapcast 2.0 in the Navigator pre order models ( and i fear that the set will have that bad quality too) the bases are different. Why? But the models are super flawed. Angel is a complete mess. Holes, not full legs, part at the clothes are missing. And much much more. This is the same bad product games workshop stuggled with and needed to put out of their programm. This and the falcon quality is the reason why i dont want to spend 70€ on the morticians. Both sets. This finecast resin stuff is bs. The plastic minis lacks constant quality. So i dont pre order anymore or but something out of the store. First i need to see the real figures and not renderings. 

I really doubt they have anything to do with finecast. Tons and tons of minis companies use resin but no one else than GW used finecast (which is non-toxic) that I know of.

It depends how the resin is prepared, if a vacuum pump is used to draw the air bubbles to the surface, prior to the resin being poured in to the mould, then the number of air bubbles is greatly reduced. This is a longer process and depends on the resin being used, as with a quick curing resin, it's not possible.

A lot of main resin companies such as Broken Toad, use a vacuum system to reduce the number of air bubbles, however as they recently experienced, vacuum systems can explode.