Sign in to follow this  
MrFox

Making a 10 post vChisel

Hey everyone !

Now that our glorious new veteran model is here how do you build up your roster of 10 ?

(I know that in a few weeks the cap will go up to 12 but there are still many tournaments until then)

I'm building my 10 for an upcoming tourney and here are my thoughts:

We can choose between 15 models (my union choice is decimate). For diverse reasons, I find that oChisel, Granite and Lucky don't bring enough to make it to the 10.

I am left with 12 models for 10 spots.

Some profiles I can't (or won't) go without: Hammer, marbles, Brick, vChisel, Tower, Mallet, Flint.

I can see 3 choices:

- Droping vHarmony and hoping not to play against Theron/smoke (Not a bad plan for a team tournament imo)

- Going monocap and droping Honour/oHarmo and some matchup will be harder (union/obulus/farmers) but still doable.

=> Now I have seen some dual captain rosters without oHarmo, but it just feels weird to play honour without one of her biggest strength: the 10-12 influence (and often 6 VP) double activation.

- Droping Decimate and loosing the versatility of decimate (+ she is a really good "squad tactics" target for vchisel). It also means loosing the "second wind + tooled up Hammer missile" option for T1.

What are your thoughts on the subject ? What does your 10 looks like until november ?

ah ... Interesting "out of the box" option !

I always thought him auto include but it's true that I tend to play him less and less lately.

It may be because I tend to only play Hammer latelly though ...

Don't you think Mallet is still needed in a Honour 6 ?

I find that we lack his "easy" KD and the 15" Threat range he has with superior strat T1.

Any one thinking that droping Flint might be an option ?

If you're gonna turn 1 superior strategy someone, I'd rather it be Flint. He gets you 4VPs rather than 0-2 and he is more likely to be able to get back out again afterwards / is faster coming back on after he dies. If you want someone who just turns inf into damage, you can always run Decimate.

I'm moving to drop Union from all my teams now that the Minor Guilds are being released, as I don't get to play much so want to make sure the games I do play are worthwhile as practice for the future.

I used to run Mist in my 10 specifically as ball retrieval, because at one event I lost two matches specifically because I could not get the ball back off Brisket. I don't enjoy playing Honour that much, massively preferring Hammer, and Brick & Mallet have issues hitting hitting 3 hits against 5/1. vChisel is now taking that Mist slot, as although she doesn't have the kick range or the Acrobatics, she does have 2" melee, 8" sprint and a mom-:T: on 1, plus even more goodness.

My 'current' (without having had any games in the last month+) 10 is:

Hammer, Marbles, Honour, oHarmony (good to bluff with 2nd Captain, occasionally play if I'm not feeling Hammer, and I think into Navigators the 2 ARM and 5+ DEF are going to be useful), Brick, vChisel, Flint, Tower, Mallet, vHarmony.

I would never, ever, drop Flint, he is a beast and by far the best goal scoring option for Masons. Plus, with 1 INF on him, he can escape from pretty much any situation, sometimes forcing opponents to take a suboptimal activation to make sure he dies before he gets out of their reach.

I've got the same ten in mind, except Lucky for vHarmony. I seem to get him to work more often than I know what to do with vHarmony. Usually she's just a Marked Target or Smelling Salts bot, while Lucky clears a condition a turn, occasionally gives me extra influence, and can really deal some damage or go on goal runs.