Sign in to follow this  
cruehitman

Master of Puppets vs Spirit Weaver

So I just got into GB recently and have purchased several teams to go along with my Kick Off set. I love the look and theme behind the Morticians and want to get one of the legendary resin collections... just not sure which one! They both look amazing... if i could only pick one, which box would be better to order? 

I personally really enjoy Scalpel and Bonesaw (though many others hate him), Brainpan/Memory are also good (the three make for a fairly solid goal threat with Scalpel also able to do a bit of damage, lots of dodging and some pushing about too). Memory can do surprisingly good damage too, and it’s  all momentous. Casket is reasonable for stopping brawlers flattening you, even if I struggle to get the best from him. vGraves and vileswarm... honestly I can’t say, I’ve never used them (not painted them yet). They have a fairly pants reputation though (in S3, but maybe season 4 will change people’s minds). You’ll end up playing a bit of inf lower than many teams though as Scalpel only brings 4 and Casket/Vileswarm 1.

Master of puppets on the other hand has Obulus, who is one of the biggest pains in the ass I hear. With him is my go-to ball collector and annoying crowd out bird, Dirge. Alongside you get Graves (Tooled up and bleed are great if you’re going for takeouts), Cosset (who deletes a lot of stuff on a charge, especially if dirge goes in first. Expect her to die though, she’s really squishy), Ghast (my personal preference for clogging up parts of the board and being hard to go round), and silence (who almost perpetually has my opponent on tilt. Messing with the opposing activation order and parking flame blasts makes him a lovely disruptor of plans. 

There’s summaries of each model in the thread pinned at the top of this area (aside from a few extras I need to update when I get time)

So... while I really enjoy the shenanigans of Scalpel and Bonesaw, I’d say you’ve got a better generalist team in Master of Puppets - several types of control, some damage, and a bit of ball capability on the side. 

Go for Obulus without doubt, Scalpels box is unplayable alone. 

To make them shine You need vHemlocke and Ratcatchers and You're golden, could even play some competitive games. No second box models are really 'must have'.

I think the Master of Puppets is a more Flexible box out of the start. Though I love me the hell out of Scalpel. Her box is much more focused on playing the ball game and she does it very well. I do agree with that VHemlocke helps her out a lot and is our 2nd best ball retriever besides OGraves. plus, if you have Ratcatchers or plan to have them in the future both play down models are in her box! 

If You don't mind having weaker team than the opposition and are ok with losing - feel free to go for Scalpel.

Out of 5 players I don't use in my tournament list 4 are in that box. SFG had 2 perfect opportuinities to fix them (S3 and Ratcatchers release) yet they didn't. Will they in S4? Maybe.

54 minutes ago, el009 said:

If You don't mind having weaker team than the opposition and are ok with losing - feel free to go for Scalpel.

Out of 5 players I don't use in my tournament list 4 are in that box. SFG had 2 perfect opportuinities to fix them (S3 and Ratcatchers release) yet they didn't. Will they in S4? Maybe.

That sounds a little too dramatic for me. I prefer Scalpel over Obulus and the box seems fine. Not perfect obviously as VetHemlocke (which isn't in either box) and oGraves are Scalpel's best buddies, but I have no doubts that I could work with the box as is.

I guess some players will see a rework in Season 4, but oveall I feel that Morticians are in a good place since VetHemlocke's release.

C'mon, only one model in the box has 2" melee, You are at 12 influence, Your 'striker' is a bit useless, You have 0 reliable KD and no significant damage source. This team has no damage potential, weak goal pressure unless they already have the ball and next to zero control abilities. Sure, ina a perfect world You can score twice and trigger Casket time but i can't see that coming vs competent player.

I'm fine with Spooks as they are cause You can pick a decent 10 and 6 six players in any matchup. Thing is, there are players I wouldn't ever take. Obs, Dirge, Graves1 and Hemlocke are core team and there are decent flexes like Skulk, Pelage, Cosset, Ghast. Others are situational, at best. How many of the models I named are in the Scalpels box? 

My usual 6 is Scalpel, Dirge, oGraves, VetHemlocke, Casket, BP&M. Dirge I have absolutely no problem dropping as Vileswarm can do the same job... which is standing around and doing nothing. VetHemlocke would truly be missed, just as she would with the Obulus box. oGraves for VetGraves is not a good trade.

Scalpel can still do damage without oGraves and I do fine without much 2" melee. 

As far as the other box goes, Cosset and Silence don't even make my 10.

Weak goal pressure from Scalpel's box? In that box alone Scalpel and Bonesaw score me a goal just about every game. The only problem it has out of the box is actual ball retrieval. Take out potential is on the low side with out oGraves and Pelage.

Ive played Scalpel almost exclusively this year. My usual line up is Scalpel. Most games going 3-0 or 2-2. PLus, with changes coming to the passing game Bonesaw's stock goes up. That big base getting more tap in pass options is a huge advantage.

8 minutes ago, Jynxed85 said:

Weak goal pressure from Scalpel's box? In that box alone Scalpel and Bonesaw score me a goal just about every game. The only problem it has out of the box is actual ball retrieval. Take out potential is on the low side with out oGraves and Pelage.

2 hours ago, el009 said:

C'mon, only one model in the box has 2" melee, You are at 12 influence, Your 'striker' is a bit useless, You have 0 reliable KD and no significant damage source. This team has no damage potential, weak goal pressure unless they already have the ball and next to zero control abilities.

Added a bold for You ;) It's enough to kill the ball on a UM model and Sclapel is so screwed... Yes, she can legendary. Once per game. And You have 3 goals to score.

Scalpel has trash playbook and can't handle models with UM/clone/etc or decent counter attack. 

I agree that, unless You play Cosset or Silence, Dirge is as useless as Swarm. Mascots aren't our forte.

Obulus box just has more options, I would never advice Scalpel as a first choice.

Thanks everyone! I may end up getting both boxes at some point, but based on things I’ve read here and your answers, I ordered Master of Puppets. Looking forward to seeing how they do. And love the updated models! 

Glad we could help :)

Have to agree with folks too - vHemlocke is such a good enabler of shenanigans, and well worth the hunt for her if/when you expand. 

11 hours ago, el009 said:

I still can't believe they didn't fix the 4 players you don't like, just to stop you from moaning about it all day long.

1 minute ago, Selfy said:

I still can't believe they didn't fix the 4 players you don't like, just to stop you from moaning about it all day long.

Neither do I, keep forgetting that You can only praise SFG on this forum...

12 hours ago, Mako said:

Pfft, you can criticise all you like...

Politely :D

Come on, calling a fictional character in a board game 'a bit retarded' is impolite over here?