Sign in to follow this  
Azreal13

On bases. Their acquisition and the decorative presentation thereof.

Ok, so on a whim I've decided that I may use some scenic resin bases for my Falconers rather than simply dressing the stock bases with flock etc I've been doing so far. 

The issue I've initially encountered is that the specific combinations of base sizes needed for a Guild isn't really compatible with the packs of bases many retailers sell, meaning, in the absence of any other suitable projects, I'd need to buy a lot more bases than I'd need in a given size, especially the larger ones. 

So my question is has anyone got a U.K. friendly source that sells resin bases in smaller numbers/individually, or are people just buying the bases and sucking up the excess?

You may have to 'suck up the excess', as I haven't seen places where individual 40mm bases are available. Maybe in bags of 2-5, but not 1's. Assuming Falconers isn't your last Guild, or that you  might decide afterwards to rebase another team, it's not too bad. You could always try posting on the Trade forum or the Facebook Trade & Sales group to see if anyone has spare bases they are willing to let go.

In terms of UK based sources, you could try:

Fenris Games

Element Games (Micro Art Studios is a nice range,as are Wyrdscapes)

Bases4War (not tried, but free UK shipping and they do a 'mixed' option - 1x50mm, 2x40mm and 3x30mm of your chosen design! Appears to be out of stock at the moment, but no harm in emailing them to ask.)

MDP (again, not tried, but decent selection and UK based)

eBay (because obviously)

or Wayland games, if you want to wait 2+ months for them to be delivered, only to be told they no longer stock the item. Just use them as a sourcing/ideas site, do not try to buy anything here.

I guess for falconers you need 4x 30mm bases, 2x 40mm and one 50mm if you want one for the goal as well.

Micro Art Studios mentioned by S_A_T_S above are quite nice. The bases used to come in packs of 5x 30mm or 2x 40mm or 1x50mm, which wouldn't give too many extra if you can find those packs still in stock. You can get 5x 30mm and 2x 40 mm for £3.60 each here ... one spare 30mm for the bunny ball?

https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/bases-for-miniatures/shale-bases-wround-30mm-5

https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/bases-for-miniatures/shale-bases-wround-40mm-2

Broken Toad will presumably release their bases to retail once the Kickstarter is complete:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/979255527/resin-cast-mob-football-goals

On 8/6/2018 at 8:08 PM, S_A_T_S said:

Wayland games, if you want to wait 2+ months for them to be delivered, only to be told they no longer stock the item. Just use them as a sourcing/ideas site, do not try to buy anything here.

Really wanted to know this earlier in advance. I have firsthand experience with this. Do NOT buy anything at this webstore!

I eventually went for some bases from an eBay seller under the brand Fat Spider. I'm assuming they're a home made enterprise, but the quality is decent and the theme works with my mat, which was a priority, without being stupid expensive. They're not going to scream custom bases, but they've got some logs and stumps moulded on and also (the clincher for me) recesses for puddles, and water was something I wanted to feature. 

On 8/7/2018 at 12:43 AM, ADG said:

I guess for falconers you need 4x 30mm bases, 2x 40mm and one 50mm if you want one for the goal as well.

7 30mm bases for the ball and vHearne and Egret - even if they're harder to obtain, I'd try to get them and have bases ready for when you do.