Sign in to follow this  
EpicChris

So close you can taste them in the air...

OMG I cannot wait for Falconers to land. While Hunters are probably benefiting more, I want to play Falconers and just get that silly Devana overkill! :) 

Not looking forward to placing those AOEs though!

Given its by Angel, it’s almost certainly a Vallejo paint. Maybe worth finding him on Facebook and asking? He’s a decent chap and happy to help people, will probably be able to look it up in his recipe book for you :)

2 hours ago, Mako said:

Given its by Angel, it’s almost certainly a Vallejo paint. Maybe worth finding him on Facebook and asking? He’s a decent chap and happy to help people, will probably be able to look it up in his recipe book for you :)

I'll tell him Mako sent me

7 hours ago, Anudem said:

I'll tell him Mako sent me

I’m not important enough in the painting world to have name recognition with Angel :(

In case others were interested.

He based the red with black red, then blended up using flat red and ice yellow. Shading was done with black red and purple.

The accent color was black and turquoise 

5 hours ago, Anudem said:

He based the red with black red, then blended up using flat red and ice yellow. Shading was done with black red and purple.

That's pretty much what I said: Red and Turquoise 😂

5 hours ago, ningu said:

That's pretty much what I said: Red and Turquoise 😂

Just because you gave the correct answer doesn't mean your right

On 7/31/2018 at 9:26 AM, Anudem said:

These are going to be tricky for me, because it looks like there's 2 very similar color pallets for the Falconers - at least on Devana. There's sort of a very dark forest green, like on the boots, trousers, and chest (and maybe the winged shape on the hood). And then a very subtle-ly different kind of green, maybe a bit yellow-y (?) on the dangling ribbon and gloves. Oh, my eyes! I need new ones.

I wonder if Falconers were written w/ Season 4 in mind. And therefore, the Harriers will get a sizable range boost when S4 is released.

I planning on a winter theme for my Falconers, so I can use up the huge tub of snow I have, and have a second team to go on my snow-theme tray. Now to work out how to remove them from those crappy bases without breaking the flying stands...

13 hours ago, S_A_T_S said:

so I can use up the huge tub of snow I have

You can send me some? I'm dying to know how to make the stuff! :P

Just called my LGS, and they are expecting the shipment in tomorrow (Tuesday).  Looking forward to getting a game in with them this week.

On 8/5/2018 at 6:19 PM, S_A_T_S said:

I planning on a winter theme for my Falconers, so I can use up the huge tub of snow I have, and have a second team to go on my snow-theme tray. Now to work out how to remove them from those crappy bases without breaking the flying stands...

Just looking at my box now ... I'm wondering if there's any good ideas for painting Ikaros without getting paint on the flying stand?

With Frelsi I can put masking tape around the clear plastic stand. But it looks a bit hard to do that with Ikaros as his legs are in the way. I think I'd have preferred to have him separate and glue him on the stand myself, but I guess just better be careful!

7 hours ago, ADG said:

Just looking at my box now ... I'm wondering if there's any good ideas for painting Ikaros without getting paint on the flying stand?

With Frelsi I can put masking tape around the clear plastic stand. But it looks a bit hard to do that with Ikaros as his legs are in the way. I think I'd have preferred to have him separate and glue him on the stand myself, but I guess just better be careful!

I paint the flying stand a matt black, I think it looks better than clear, personally.

A word of warning, though: I've converted my Ikaros and tried taking him off the flying stand to do so, snapping it in the process. Not such a big deal for me as it let me put a wire pin through his foot as a new flying stand (and paint it black) but may be an issue if you're trying to remove him from the stand to paint. 

Yeah, I thought about trying to take him off the stand and then glue him back on, but probably best not to!

The other thing you can do @ADG is cover the flying stand in blue tac or some sort of equivalent. It masks the stand really well and you can spray over it, paint over it etc., then remove it once you've finished the model. 

Hope that helps :) 

Just finished the falconers now. Wasn't too hard to avoid the clear plastic after all when undercoating by brush.

On 8/11/2018 at 12:08 PM, Anudem said:

If there is a way to take the models off the clear stands I'm all ears, because it would make painting easier

What would help is knowing the adhesive (or solvent) they used for assembly. One of the most common for PVC is MEK (methyl-ethyl ketone). Acetone is also a solvent for PVC. So don't use those to try and separate the pieces. It's possible they used CA glue... but I doubt it. It's nasty and very troublesome to use in a production environment. I'm not really sure what would, uh, resolve(?) MEK, but I do know that methanol and ethanol are solvents that don't attack PVC (as is toluene, but bleh!). I may try just cold/heat, and try and work them out.