Nykolae

Season 4 changes

Hi all!

As discussed in here, Steamforged is doing away with 'gaining' of influence, otherwise known as putting more influence on a model than it's cap. From now on, models can't receive more influence than their cap allows them to.

I guess the days of putting 5 influence on models are gone... 😞 Or Steamforged have something else for us in mind, namely giving most of our players a +1 INF cap... 🤔

What do you guys think of the changes?

For more part 1 of the upcoming Season 4 changes, go to here.

So far I like all the mechanical changes that come to season 4.

How they will impact my Masons I'll wait and see how the models change. Speculating on that based on partial information won't help.

The mechanical clean up is good.

The changes to Gain and 0 cost plays is worrying for both our Captains, but we don't have enough information to really read to much into anything.

Most of the mechanics seem good to me and offer clarity which I’m all for.

I’d hope there are some other changes on the player cards that compensate for the 0 cost and gain changes. I agree with the principle of cleaning things up, but if for example Iron Fist is going to start costing 2 inf (1 from Hammer and 1 from another model) then it feels more likely a costly nerf than a clean up. Have to wait for the cards to find out.

Allocation seems fine to me, as Superior Strategy has always been that so it's not like Honour players haven't got used the careful placement of INF.

What is of far more concern to me is the changes to Hammer. Removing his 'steal INF' pays completely changes how he works. To me this looks like he is having/needs to have a complete redesign. Giving him +2"/+2" and +1/0" permanently and a self-only Tooled Up makes him seem very Vanilla to me. I love the fact that he doesn't soak up all your resources like other captains (he can), so if I decide I don't NEED Iron Fist, I can leave that extra INF on the other player and use it with them. He forces me to play with my team together, managing my INF. His having to be in 6" to get the buffs also effects how he is used, as he needs to be supported by his team to be all he can be. Turning him into yet another super-solo captain does NOT appeal to me. I look forward to seeing his new card with trepidation...

In generally I like all S4 changes so far.  Cleaner rules, cleaner game.

I'm so far not excited about the changes that hit both our captains.  Maybe if they give Honour a 4/6 INF stat it'll make up for the "gain" vs "allocation" issue.

I agree with S_A_T_S that having Hammer NOT steal from other players fundamentally changes how Hammer works and how Hammer is portrayed in the fluff (which I understand should not dictate gameplay, but it's nice when it's consistent with how the model plays).  I also don't see why they couldn't just have an Active Trait, like the one Alloy has, where Hammer can just steal 1 INF from someone 6" away and then choose 1 of 3 abilities each time he steals, each once per turn?  The change to give Hammer 4/6 and Iron Fist as a 1 cost play is a bit drastic and non-thematic.

I don’t know if the currently available info would rule it out completely (the old memory ain’t what it used to be...), but I’m personally hoping Hammer’s plays go to 1 cost and he has a general trait that lets him spend inf on friendly models within 6” for his character plays. That would keep him similar but avoid the zero cost issue, right?

2 minutes ago, Mako said:

I don’t know if the currently available info would rule it out completely (the old memory ain’t what it used to be...), but I’m personally hoping Hammer’s plays go to 1 cost and he has a general trait that lets him spend inf on friendly models within 6” for his character plays. That would keep him similar but avoid the zero cost issue, right?

That would make sense I think.

4 hours ago, kryzak said:

I also don't see why they couldn't just have an Active Trait, like the one Alloy has, where Hammer can just steal 1 INF from someone 6" away and then choose 1 of 3 abilities each time he steals, each once per turn?  The change to give Hammer 4/6 and Iron Fist as a 1 cost play is a bit drastic and non-thematic.

They may well have done what you suggest, which is why I'm waiting to see. I'm anxious about what it is, but they must have a plan for him in this 'new world'.

1 hour ago, Mako said:

Hoping you're right...

I hope you are right Mako, but the wording of the blog suggests that Hammer's max INF is increased from 5 to 6 to account for the 1 INF cost of Iron Fist.  If he has a trait where he can use friendly models within 6" INF to power his character plays, then why increase his max INF to "adjust for the S4 rule change"?

Could be a thing of how the rules work - maybe he can take inf off a friendly model, which would then increase his inf stack, and so basically mean a free play but with a higher max inf needed. 

I’m guessing here, really. It might not be that, and he may have totally changed about. But I like to think there’s a little hope left, I liked his inf-hogging mechanic :) 

16 minutes ago, Mako said:

Could be a thing of how the rules work - maybe he can take inf off a friendly model, which would then increase his inf stack, and so basically mean a free play but with a higher max inf needed. 

I’m guessing here, really. It might not be that, and he may have totally changed about. But I like to think there’s a little hope left, I liked his inf-hogging mechanic :) 

I hope you're right.  The Masons captains' abilities of messing with activation orders and INF allocation (esp with the introduction of vChisel) is definitely one of the hallmarks of the team.  Would be sad to see Hammer be a very boring "self-tooled up" person and have no real interaction with the rest of the team anymore.

What I have been thinking:

Steamforged have also mentioned that S4 would bring Guild Rules to the other Major Guilds as well. For now, it's only Farmers and Blacksmiths.

What if the Mason Guild Rule would be connected to the influence cap? Or the ability to shift influence around, like the "The Greater Good" GIC?

Any other ideas on what our Guild Rule is going to be? I think it's either influence flexibility, activation order flexibility, or something defensive (extra DEF or ARM on charges [Built To Last GIC], extra DEF against CP's [vHarmony's Breaking Play], etc.)

Not keen on these Guild Rules. Maybe for new teams, where it can be factored into the design, but do we need Guild Rules for established Guilds? Do the Butchers need anything added? Don't they already have all their damage be momentous? Isn't that a guild rule? What about Fish having low momentous dodges? Do they need Guild Rules or can the flavour just come across through their design influencing playstyle?