Igpus

Our minor, the cooks Guild...

I'm surprised there are no posts about this yet.

For those who aren't aware, our minor guild is the cooks. Here's an image of them from the Gu.B.S page on facebook, posted by Mark Peyton:

37687829_10155461287871426_6694449229445726208_n.jpg.f6068f7be0955f97a3f92dae55d6401f.jpg

As a butchers player I can only say i'm very disappointed; I think they are the worst guild ball models I've seen. I find them to be aesthetically very unappealing (how tall is Spice - the lady on the left? Why does Sugar look like a Hobbit- the lady of the right? Why does the fat man have a pencil eraser on his head? How does he get around on those tiny legs? Is he movement 2/4? Does the lady with the paddle and buns need to pee? Is that weasel a pack mule?  So many questions...).  

Finally, the guild concept is... meh. There were far more interesting ideas, such as the Tanner's guild or Abattoir's guild, posted on these forums. 

Rant over. 🙊

Guild play style below, this time post posted by Matt Nott on the facebook page: 

416314470_Guildcon..jpg.7da3b996cf6d6bdac4b597aeb2d28b73.jpg

Now that the initial excitement has died down, what does everyone else think of them?

Going forward, lets focus on getting a good player in the Free cities draft  late this year.

Style seems interesting (extreme Butchers - more kill, more falling over at the drop of a hat), but I agree the models lack something, or rather the hats make them ridiculous. Also, I can't think of Wellington as anyone other than Gary Rhodes...

21 minutes ago, S_A_T_S said:

Style seems interesting (extreme Butchers - more kill, more falling over at the drop of a hat), but I agree the models lack something, or rather the hats make them ridiculous. Also, I can't think of Wellington as anyone other than Gary Rhodes...

Wellington Is Gordon Ramsey, got confirm on the day. 

The style is defiantly Butchery, can't complain about that.

But the design ethos for the Rats and Falconers seems to have been: they do what the major guild does, but differently. The ethos for the Navigator and Cooks seems to have been: they do what the major guild does but taken to the extreme.

I have a preference for the first design ethos.

Also not a fan of the 'every member of the team has this rule' approach, as apposed to select models, and how SFG seem to be thinking this is comparable to: the Ratcatchers dilemma mechanic; The falconers harrier AOE's mechanic; The farmers harvest markers mechanic; The Blacksmiths master/apprentice mechanic. But perhaps this design chose eludes to changes coming in season 4; Time will tell.       

Me and a few others guessed It was going to be the Chef Guild.

I really like the concept and stocked for them.

I think Its the photo that don't them Justice, the official renders which was put up on Chefs FB Group and Twitter are so much better, the scaling on the tall lady looks off tho.

Actually, I really like the Cooks guild. I admit it was a bit of a blindside for me but I welcomed that. I think the minis are pretty sweet and it's refreshing to see an different style. 

I'm rather excited about their play-style and I hope that it will allow for a team with multiple options for an effective take-out game. Right now the Butchers' guild are bogged down in the dreary "Superstar 11-inf Fillet" swamp which is, while quite workable, is not really that interesting since it lacks optionality.

So I hope that the Cooks are the direct opposite of that! 

official renders are an improvement but...

1. Roast's legs look longer in the art; they look more proportional. The wrist straps on the sculpt are ridiculously large. There's also a blade featured in the art that makes him look more menacing, on his right wrist. 
  2. I assume spice's weapon is meant to be a modified spit, but the end of it in her left hand is missing the inward blades that are present in the art. Also she looks more balanced in the art, her apron is longer, and more pleasing to the eye.
  3. Wellington is a good representation of the art. But what's going on with his chefs jacket? I've not seen anything like that neck line on one before, is it meant to be armoured? I'm happy to be proven wrong.

There are just too many niggling things wrong with them, and I don't think the sculptor understands the rule of 1/3rd s which is important for aesthetics (which the artist clearly does). I can't be the only person who sees these issues, can I?

TLDR: The individual who did the art understands what look aesthetically pleasing (proportional), the sculptor missed the mark and important elements present in the art. 

However, i'm glad people like them.   

Spice does look a bit too tall. Looks like she'd be eight foot if some of the other models were six foot. Although Guild Ball models (and people!) come in lots of sizes, at first glance seems too extreme. Guess she'd be good at Guild Basketball though ...

The pose of Skillet, with the frying pan, looks like a fun nod back to Boar's classic charging pose.

Anyone seen a good picture of the weasel yet?

ps. I see webstore now has Rookie Scourge and Ikaros available.

Not sure if you guys have seen the alt Shank and Tenderiser sculpts as well. All I can say is, they have turned Tenderiser from worst Best looking model to, worst bad looking model. If anyone should never wear a hat it is definitely him...

2 minutes ago, masterkdog said:

Not sure if you guys have seen the alt Shank and Tenderiser sculpts as well. All I can say is, they have turned Tenderiser from worst Best looking model to, worst bad looking model. If anyone should never wear a hat it is definitely him...

Now this I have to see... where are they? :D

4 hours ago, Kueller said:

Wellington Is Gordon Ramsey, got confirm on the day

Nope, he's Rhodes.

I'm experiencing massive cognitive dissonance. As a Butcher's player I really want to like these models, but the more I try to the more I hate them. 

102657098_Capture234.png.a8f177197708f6e2d95fdf99252be33f.png

I understand the need for hats etc to ID them as cooks/chefs. However surely Tenderiser could have had a different one...

1 hour ago, masterkdog said:

I understand the need for hats etc to ID them as cooks/chefs. However surely Tenderiser could have had a different one...

Sounds like a fun modeling task. Or just use the old metal one or the new resin one. 

Mostly speculation here, but based off of pieced together information I think the names have all been revealed for the minor guild.  Left to right on the launch kit is Roast, Spice, Pepper (Mascot), Wellington, Sugar and Cinnamon.

Can anyone confirm?

Those sort of digital prints never look great. Too much glare and reflection makes it look like there's less detail than there really is.

They might not be the Cutlers in name I was hoping for, but that playstyle, that intimidation ability, and what we've heard about Spice and Roast, if these two are the play-ups, all add up to making me thing that these guys are absolutely spot on.

If someone throws black puddings around I may well explode.