Sign in to follow this  
Cfighter

Update 171

So in general, I'm just gonna discuss (and possible vent) about the most recent Kickstarter Update here as I was a late backer meaning I'm prevented from commenting in the Kickstarter itself.

For those who haven't seen yet, Steamforged Games—after nearly a month of silence—finally graced us backers with an official Wave 2 shipping update. In a twist of events that shocked no one, they announced in the update that Wave 2 is experiencing manufacturing/shipping issues; the new ETA Steamforged Games has provided for Wave 2 is September 10th. Wave 3 (the stretch goals) will, by extension, be affected by Wave 2's delay and there is no longer a time-frame for when Wave 3 will ship (previously Steamforged Games said Wave 3 would ship in September). Now I'm not going to b*tch and complain about the delays themselves—I'm a patient guy, and there are plenty of other things for me to look forward to in the meantime that will actually release on time. I also think that, considering how the release of the base game was managed, anyone who honestly thought the expansions/stretch goals would arrive on time were just setting themselves up for disappointment. I expected a delay.

My problem is the lack of communication from Steamforged Games.

One of the first things mentioned in the update is that the main reason for Wave 2's delay was because their manufacturing partners dropped the ball. Immediately after that explanation, Steamforged Games goes on to explain that they then had to decide if they wanted to ship out the expansions as they arrived, or wait until they received all of their product before shipping out to backers. They decided on the first option, meaning starting Monday (the 23rd) they will begin shipping out expansions as they arrive and that by September 10th they expect everyone to have received whichever expansions you may have ordered—if you ordered multiple expansions, you very well might receive multiple packages spread out over the next two months.

The issue here is that there has been radio silence from them for, again, nearly a month when clearly they have had plenty of information to share over (at least) the last few weeks. I don't know if Steamforged Games just doesn't like giving bad news, but I have a feeling people would be far more understanding if they had posted an update as soon as they knew their manufacturing partners were lagging behind. Also, I can't speak for everyone on this one, but personally I also would have appreciated if Steamforged Games ASKED if we preferred them to ship things out as they arrived or if we preferred them to wait for one shipment. Even if the majority ended up voting for the current plan, I don't like that Steamforged Games kept us in the dark for nearly a month only to drop this new shipment plan on us without any warning.

And what really irritates me is, despite all this nonsense and beating around the bush, Steamforged Games releases updates for their Resident Evil 2 board game every single week without fail—often even an update every few days.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Like I said at the beginning, I'm only venting this here since I apparently can't on the actual Kickstarter.

This is so ridiculous. SFG was telling us that everything is as good as shipped and now this. 

I already feel sorry for backing Resident evil 2 and Godtear, I will surely never back a Kickstarter from SFG again. 

Yeah, they really just keep turning this into an even bigger mess than it already was. I'm fine with waiting too, but I hate that they get everyone's hopes up by giving out all these blatantly false estimated release dates for their stuff, they should learn to take into account all that goes wrong for them when making these estimates.

A simple rule I've made for myself is to just add 3 months to their date, Sep 2018 for RE2? Bet on it coming Dec 2018.

Oh whats that? A delay for RE2 pushing it back to Nov 2018? In reality its actually going to be Feb 2019.

37 minutes ago, TimBo said:

This is so ridiculous. SFG was telling us that everything is as good as shipped and now this. 

I already feel sorry for backing Resident evil 2 and Godtear, I will surely never back a Kickstarter from SFG again. 

I'm going to make an educated guess and predict that most people will have their complete Wave 2 orders delivered around November instead of the September ETA. Then I predict SFG will say that Wave 3 will arrive around February, and then following a whole lot of radio silence they'll inform us of more manufacturing issues and that Wave 3 will be delayed again. When all is said and done, I predict Wave 3 (and the project as a whole) will finally be delivered by May/June 2019 - three years after launch.

10 minutes ago, MaverickHunterLuneth said:

Yeah, they really just keep turning this into an even bigger mess than it already was. I'm fine with waiting too, but I hate that they get everyone's hopes up by giving out all these blatantly false estimated release dates for their stuff, they should learn to take into account all that goes wrong for them when making these estimates.

A simple rule I've made for myself is to just add 3 months to their date, Sep 2018 for RE2? Bet on it coming Dec 2018.

Oh whats that? A delay for RE2 pushing it back to Nov 2018? In reality its actually going to be Feb 2019.

I remember initially wanting to back the RE2 game, but thankfully I didn't get the chance to back the kickstarter. Even if the RE2 game is an incredible, polished board game - judging from Dark Souls, I'd say that as soon as RE2 starts heading into the shipping phase the backers of RE2 are going to be in for a rude awakening. Similarly, judging from Dark Souls, I'll most likely be able to purchase the RE2 game from retailers before the backers even get their copies.

I'm not quite sure I understand the shipping caveats they've set out. If you've only ordered Dark root and/or Dice you'll get your stuff in July, but if you've ordered other add ons (for me tileset and Gaping Dragon) it's delayed til September? 

I mean, again, it's irritating but was pointed out as a risk in the Kickstarter and I'm okay to wait. I hope (and feel) they've learnt a lot from this and the next Kickstarter will be a bit smoother. The RE2 KS was certainly set out better so I'm hopeful it'll be fine. 

On a selfish note, if my addons delayed it's fine as I actually won't be home for the next few weeks XD

1 hour ago, Goseki said:

I'm not quite sure I understand the shipping caveats they've set out. If you've only ordered Dark root and/or Dice you'll get your stuff in July, but if you've ordered other add ons (for me tileset and Gaping Dragon) it's delayed til September? 

I mean, again, it's irritating but was pointed out as a risk in the Kickstarter and I'm okay to wait. I hope (and feel) they've learnt a lot from this and the next Kickstarter will be a bit smoother. The RE2 KS was certainly set out better so I'm hopeful it'll be fine. 

On a selfish note, if my addons delayed it's fine as I actually won't be home for the next few weeks XD

Yeah they weren't even clear with that either. I've read comments on the Kickstarter page that claim SFG has clarified in email responses; supposedly what SFG has stated in these emails is that they're going to ship expansions out as they arrive at the warehouse, but they wont be delivered as they arrive—they will sit at your shipping hub until your complete order can be delivered. If that's true, then I would assume you will get your order much sooner if the items in your order aren't part of the delay. But who actually knows, as again, there's an unbelievable lack of communication at the moment.

And I disagree with the "Kickstarter risk" argument in this particular case. I fully understand that when you back any Kickstarter, you're often taking a gamble. But I would argue that risk is no longer a factor at this point, as SFG has delivered on what the Kickstarter was made for: the base game. They proved that they were able to produce a competent game of a certain quality, and they should have had a clear understanding of the process to produce the add-ons/stretch goals. The stretch goals were just complimentary incentives, so while I'm more excited for the stretch goals than the expansions I'm fine with SFG shipping them last. The expansions are a different story though; they weren't part of the Kickstarter, people were given the option to pre-order them after the Kickstarter ended. Not only that, but SFG even reopened the pre-order page after the base game was delivered. They needed funding for the base game. They sold the expansions as a product. I don't think it's anywhere near unreasonable to expect SFG to, at the very least, prioritize posting progress updates on the expansions rather than prioritize posting updates on their other Kickstarter projects.

Hmm that's a fair point I suppose. I guess I've just justified it in my head as "it'll get here when it gets here". Fully appreciate how irritated it's made some folk though. 

Ok, I'm going to step in here, having just erased a post. 

We’ve been as understanding as we can be, because it’s frustrating when this stuff happens, but that’s been taken advantage of. People that can’t post civilly will now be placed on automatic moderation. If we keep having to block their content, they’ll be banned. 

To be extra clear, we have no issue with complaint or criticism. This is purely about attitude. Calmly worded criticism will continue to be allowed, because we think it’s important people can say it. 

On 7/21/2018 at 6:13 PM, Mako said:

Ok, I'm going to step in here, having just erased a post. 

We’ve been as understanding as we can be, because it’s frustrating when this stuff happens, but that’s been taken advantage of. People that can’t post civilly will now be placed on automatic moderation. If we keep having to block their content, they’ll be banned. 

To be extra clear, we have no issue with complaint or criticism. This is purely about attitude. Calmly worded criticism will continue to be allowed, because we think it’s important people can say it. 

Fair enough. I still stand by my criticism, but I apologize if my posts come off as overly negative.

17 hours ago, Cfighter said:

Fair enough. I still stand by my criticism, but I apologize if my posts come off as overly negative.

Not to worry, negativity isn’t a problem (if it was, we’d have to ban half the community every time a new guild ball release happened :D )!

Sadly, not everyone can manage to provide such a clear, well thought through, and calmly worded ‘rant’ as you did :)