Sign in to follow this  
Redmaw

Cat vs Dog : pre season 4

Sorry if this has already been discussed in another topic but I've noticed most comments on here and the Facebook are suggesting that people prefer to take the dog as a single mascot in their current tournament 10. I'm kinda curious as to why.? 

Personally, I agree you only "need" one mascot in your lineup but while I like the pooch I always seem to get more use out of our murder kitty. I also can't remember going against any Brewers players that weren't using the cat.. 

While I've not been to any events since V3, I'm wondering if the arrival of vDecimate has raised the viability of our doggo (and Esters) so much.? Personally it feels like too much egg / basket stacking but I'm open to have people change my mind..

So, which mascot do you prefer.? Do you have any thoughts or insights regarding mascot choices.? What do you feel are the pros / cons of each.? Answers on a postcard, or preferably posted below... 

Yes, the switch to Quaff came with the release of Veteran Decimate. She benefits massively from Bag of Quaffers and Second Wind. Also, with Decimate, the Pat Cat move is not required that much anymore.

It more comes down to the loss of the Sic' 'em card from the plot card deck. Previously Scum was a murder machine without needing any investment, whereas now, she needs at least 2 INF to make her useful.

1 hour ago, Hunter said:

Pat Cat move 

I really wish people would stop calling it that...

postman-pat-1376562625-custom-0.jpg

1 hour ago, ningu said:

It more comes down to the loss of the Sic' 'em card from the plot card deck. Previously Scum was a murder machine without needing any investment, whereas now, she needs at least 2 INF to make her useful.

I really wish people would stop calling it that...

postman-pat-1376562625-custom-0.jpg

Agreed, because it should by rights be the 'Jess' move.

Brewers play around vet Decimate right now and mostly with Esters. Scum isn't all that useful in Esters' team. With Tapper he can get buffs without putting them directly on him. With Esters all buffs require to 'target' friendly model with means the cat can die and the buffs are lost. Also, the term pat cat is triggering me as well. 

I agree with what has been said above.  The loss of the Sic'em plot card, means that Scum is not as useful as he once was.  If you are taking both captains, 1 mascot, 4 squaddies, that brings your list to 7 players with 3 rotational models.  I would rather have access to 3 squaddies rather than 2 squaddies and another mascot for my rotation.  I think I can get by with just 1 mascot, which would be Quaff, and still be in good shape for a tourney.

I find this interesting as I always preferred the kitty before Sic 'em became a thing.. Obviously he lost a lot of necessity when they changed Tactical Advice but the option to give Tapper 6inf is always nice and I still feel he's the safest ball retriever in the guild, especially with the added mobility Friday offers..

That being said, I find myself increasingly tempted to get the pimp pooch painted and on the field for my next event.. (mainly because of the hat)

I do agree that putting the ball on Scum to play keep away is a valid tactic, and if that is the overall strategy going into a tournament, then there is a case to be made to go with Scum instead of Quaff, but I don't think I would take both. 

21 minutes ago, mr baron said:

I do agree that putting the ball on Scum to play keep away is a valid tactic, and if that is the overall strategy going into a tournament, then there is a case to be made to go with Scum instead of Quaff, but I don't think I would take both. 

It's not so much for ball killing (although it's certainly an option), I just think with the 2" shadow like dodge and 6"/8" move he can get the ball wherever it ends up and kick it back in the general direction of the rest of the team, while 5/0 defences and Unpredictable Movement keeps him relatively safe from any repercussion..

I do agree I'd much rather have an additional field option rather than both mascots in my 10 so I this time I may leave the kitty to sleep among the kegs and beer cases back home.

1 hour ago, Selfy said:

I can see this gaining currency. Good work, sir.

The Skaldicfest sculpt is the mid way point between becoming captain of the Brewers minor guild.. His veteran version also has a cane and a pink leopard print jacket..

During National French Championship, there was 7 brewers player. So 42 games were played by brewers. 39 with Esters and 3 only with Tapper and it was me. I think I was the only one who brings Scum in his roster. Obviously, if you are sure that you will play only Esters, you don't have to bring the cat. You don't even have to bring Tapper except to get your opponent to doubt about your captain's choice.

I'm not sure but I think Vdecimate saw the pitch 42 times.

1 hour ago, Aranud said:

Obviously, if you are sure that you will play only Esters, you don't have to bring the cat. You don't even have to bring Tapper except to get your opponent to doubt about your captain's choice.

I think this is a major part of my indecision, I'm more than happy playing Tapper into every match up and while I understand he can be easily controlled by the likes of Theron, Obulus and Ballista, I honest think I would only run  Esters into Rats or Alchemists for the condition removal.. Even then, with Hooper and Stoker being able to clear their own conditions with a bonus I don't know if she would get field time at all.

Either way, I think I'm going to get "pimp pooch" painted and throw him on the field a few times before my next event and just decide on the day..

1 hour ago, Aranud said:

During National French Championship, there was 7 brewers player. So 42 games were played by brewers. 39 with Esters and 3 only with Tapper and it was me. I think I was the only one who brings Scum in his roster. Obviously, if you are sure that you will play only Esters, you don't have to bring the cat. You don't even have to bring Tapper except to get your opponent to doubt about your captain's choice.

I'm not sure but I think Vdecimate saw the pitch 42 times.

Seriously considering dropping Tapper from my 10, but I heard he's got value in the mirror match (and probably to at least make your opponent think at captain drop). 

So, as a follow up, I've hammered out a bunch of games using our pup this weekend and figured I'd share some casual musings..

Starting with the negatives, as expected retrieving the ball was a lot more risky without the cat, especially if the kick ended near the center line. Also, not being able to load Tapper with an additional inf often left players on 1 or 2 HP allowing my opponent to heal up or just activate the target and return damage which would otherwise have been avoided.

On a more positive note "Bag of Quaffers" and "Second Wind" proved valuable assets at least once per game, I also found with being 4/1, "Loved Creature" punished bad dice if characters attempted to use him as a spring board or accidentally caught him in AoE blasts.. I also felt less inclined to take Friday in every game which made inf available to stack Tapper, vDecimate or other "squaddies" which would usually need to make do with less.. 

On the whole, I didn't miss the cat as much as I thought I would and am certainly looking forward to giving him a run out in a more competitive setting...