blindside

Best value single box team

I was hoping you guys could give me an idea on which boxes to look at purchasing after the starter box. I was wanting have a couple more teams available and play with friends, possibly have two games at once.  Rather than buying everything for a single guild, I was hoping to just buy a couple more guild box teams. I was wondering if people here could give me an idea on which guilds boxes to look for. I will already have brewers and masons teams from the starter box. I am wanting a couple single box teams that are fun to play with and against with just the single box team alone. I am hoping the teams would be competitive versus the two starters teams and not really have any bad players. I hope that I am not asking for too much. I am pretty interesting in the minor giild teams. Does anyone have an opinions on which box sets would be the best for me? Thanks so much.

You could pick almost anything and have a good time. Pick the guilds you or your friends might be interested in and guilds with various playstyles. Outside of the Masons and Brewers, I would rank boxed teams as follows.

Note: Minor guilds aren't in this list because they're designed to work as a box.

Good boxes

THE ENGINEER'S GUILD: THE INSTRUMENTS OF WAR

THE ALCHEMIST'S GUILD: THE LURE OF GOLD

THE FARMER'S GUILD: THE HONEST LAND

THE BLACKSMITH'S GUILD: FORGED FROM STEEL

THE BUTCHER'S GUILD: THE BLOODY MASTER

THE FISHERMAN'S GUILD: THE CHANGING TIDE

THE FISHERMAN'S GUILD: PIRATE'S RETURN

Maybe boxes

THE ENGINEER'S GUILD: PRECISION MADE - Somewhat weird team, but proxy vVelocity -> oVelocity and it's ok

THE BLACKSMITH'S GUILD: MASTER CRAFTED ARSENAL - The other one works better alone I think. If you're interested in these particular players, then go for it.

THE BUTCHER'S GUILD: THE SCARLET CIRCLE - Tenderizer is a bit off,  it is used as a counterpick. The other Butcher box works ok.

THE HUNTER'S GUILD: BLESSED OF THE SUN FATHER - Good box, but it's tricky to play. Again, if you really like the Hunters, go for it.

THE MORTICIAN'S GUILD: THE MASTER OF PUPPETS (RESIN) - Same as Hunters: Good box, but it's tricky to play. If you really like the Spooks, go for it.

Don't Touch boxes

THE ALCHEMIST'S GUILD: THE NEW AGE OF SCIENCE - This is just unsynergistic alone and lacks relevant models from the other box

THE FARMER'S GUILD: OLD FATHER'S HARVEST - 4 Reapers & 2 Planters is not gonna work smoothly

IDK boxes

THE HUNTER'S GUILD: HERALDS OF THE WINTER'S MOON - Personally, I wouldn't play these. I have hard time fitting any of them into team right now (wait for season 4)

THE MORTICIAN'S GUILD: STRINGS OF THE SPIRIT WEAVER - The box has 3 of the least played Spooks and the rest are really tricky to play. I wouldn't touch this as a team, but ofc it's a great addition to the Spooks overall.

Wow thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't 100% about the minor guilds, but it makes since they are supposed to be good out of a box. I had a question about the minor guilds and whether there was a plan for them all to have a rookie player? For newer players like us would there be any minor guilds or the "good boxes" that might be too complex? Thanks again.

38 minutes ago, blindside said:

I had a question about the minor guilds and whether there was a plan for them all to have a rookie player? For newer players like us would there be any minor guilds or the "good boxes" that might be too complex? Thanks again.

Yup, they are coming soon.

3 hours ago, blindside said:

Wow thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't 100% about the minor guilds, but it makes since they are supposed to be good out of a box. I had a question about the minor guilds and whether there was a plan for them all to have a rookie player? For newer players like us would there be any minor guilds or the "good boxes" that might be too complex? Thanks again.

Well, I'm of the opinion (take that as you will - I am not a "good" player) that the Rats are fairly complex, though less so than Morticians to be honest. The toughest part of them is getting good use out of Piper. If you can have some patience, and understand that he is an outstanding model with a bit of a learning curve, you're good to go. Not enough known yet about Navigators. The Order seems like a very straightforward guild (I mean, yeah, there's some jank to be had, but can be played fine without it), but acquiring the entire guild is a PITA. Falconers seem like a real solid minor guild for beginners who want to HURT THINGS!

Before I started the post I was leaning towards the ratcatchers due to their unique playstyle. I think it would be good to have one guild with a little more depth than the others assuming they aren't super hard to figure out playstyle and combos. I can't tell, do they want to score goals or kill more in a game? The falconers also look interesting, but I am unsure about the order they seem a little heal oriented. I looked at a lot of the boxes tasku mentioned and the alchemists, blacksmiths and engineer "good teams" all look cool. Upon looking at the store description, I cannot tell whether they include tokens or the health dials. I found unboxing videos that showed the ratcatchers, blacksmith and farmer teams having them, but the with others I am unsure. I do like the idea of having a 3d terrain piece included in the box, but it would be nice to have the tokens and maybe the dials when I get a team. 

The metal teams don’t have tokens or health dials included, only the blacksmiths/farmers/falconers/ratcatchers do. 

You can get token sets for all the other guilds but they’ll cost a bit extra (around £15-20 usually), and you’ll either need to make health dials (fairly simple if you’re good at handicrafts) or get some clear backed card sleeves so you can use a dry wipe marker to mark wounds. 

5 minutes ago, Mako said:

The metal teams don’t have tokens or health dials included, only the blacksmiths/farmers/falconers/ratcatchers do. 

You can get token sets for all the other guilds but they’ll cost a bit extra (around £15-20 usually), and you’ll either need to make health dials (fairly simple if you’re good at handicrafts) or get some clear backed card sleeves so you can use a dry wipe marker to mark wounds. 

That was my suspicion, thanks for clarifying that for me. I might want to go for the newer teams first then because of that and they are a bit cheaper on Amazon in the US.  

Yeah, for slightly less than the cost of a 6 model metal team you get so much more in terms of convenience - no assembly needed, a goal, terrain piece, all the tokens/health dials... it’s a pretty decent deal :)

You can always pick up the metal sets later on if you fancy indulging in the hobby side of things, or want a new challenge in your games :D

1 minute ago, Mako said:

Yeah, for slightly less than the cost of a 6 model metal team you get so much more in terms of convenience - no assembly needed, a goal, terrain piece, all the tokens/health dials... it’s a pretty decent deal :)

You can always pick up the metal sets later on if you fancy indulging in the hobby side of things, or want a new challenge in your games :D

For sure and the extra 3D goal and terrain would make the board look better.

1 hour ago, blindside said:

but I am unsure about the order they seem a little heal oriented

No, they're not. Of the full 8 players for The Order, you won't be using Grace THAT often, and it's a fairly minor heal at that. The Order is primarily a goal first team. Not that they can't do some damage, and they will need to, but seaBrisket and Mist want to score, and seaSpigot wants to set them up. But - you should be aware that SFG has said there are no plans (in the near to mid future) to repackage the order in the same way as the other minor guilds. So no PVC box set with terrain, etc.

18 minutes ago, landstander said:

No, they're not. Of the full 8 players for The Order, you won't be using Grace THAT often, and it's a fairly minor heal at that. The Order is primarily a goal first team. Not that they can't do some damage, and they will need to, but seaBrisket and Mist want to score, and seaSpigot wants to set them up. But - you should be aware that SFG has said there are no plans (in the near to mid future) to repackage the order in the same way as the other minor guilds. So no PVC box set with terrain, etc.

Oh, that is good to know, I took another look at them and they seem better than I originally thought cause I saw a post with the two healing players and moved on. I checked the Order minor guild price and its nearly $80 on amazon, which is almost double what the blacksmiths or ratcatchers cost on amazon. I'm sure they are fine, but that price will have me check out the other guilds.

58 minutes ago, blindside said:

Oh, that is good to know, I took another look at them and they seem better than I originally thought cause I saw a post with the two healing players and moved on. I checked the Order minor guild price and its nearly $80 on amazon, which is almost double what the blacksmiths or ratcatchers cost on amazon. I'm sure they are fine, but that price will have me check out the other guilds.

I was going to ask "which two heal," but then I realized you're referring to Grace (naturally) and Benediction. Yeah... his heal almost doesn't matter. And it only affects him. I agree about the cost, and it's probably more than you think. You're probably talking about the box w/ Mist and Harry - you will still need seaSpigot and vFangtooth.

1 hour ago, landstander said:

I was going to ask "which two heal," but then I realized you're referring to Grace (naturally) and Benediction. Yeah... his heal almost doesn't matter. And it only affects him. I agree about the cost, and it's probably more than you think. You're probably talking about the box w/ Mist and Harry - you will still need seaSpigot and vFangtooth.

lol not really selling me on that one :). Why would I need spigot and fangtooth, or did you mean I would want those two cause they were strong? If I already had the spigot from the starter box can't I just use him as a seasoned spigot in tournaments if I wanted? Then I will just be down fangtooth?

26 minutes ago, blindside said:

lol not really selling me on that one :). Why would I need spigot and fangtooth, or did you mean I would want those two cause they were strong? If I already had the spigot from the starter box can't I just use him as a seasoned spigot in tournaments if I wanted? Then I will just be down fangtooth?

No no no. First things first - I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm providing some information, and a tiny bit of opinion. Second, seasoned Spigot and veteran Fangtooth are very strong models, and, I don't want to say necessary, but will be SORELY missed from a seasoned Brisket team (and they will be quite good in Union teams until the Order is officially split off). Third, whether or not you can field proxy models in a tournament is completely up to the tournament organizer. What I completely expect to happen is: people will buy the Faithful box (with vSakana, vChisel, etc.) for one or two models, and then sell the others - this is precisely what happens with the Exiles box. So if you didn't want to buy the whole Faithful box (and why would you, if you don't play those guilds), then you can just keep your eyes open for people selling those models they don't really want. If tournament play is your ultimate goal, then it is probably also worth noting - according to the current tournament guiding document, the entire Order guild will need to be painted, as they're all only available in metal (and will be so for a while) (UNLESS you just happen to have the resin versions of Mist and Harry).

I appreciate all the information I have gotten from you guys, it greatly reduced the boxes to look at to just a few. Atm I am leaning towards ratcatchers and falconers for my first two guild if my friends end up like the game because of the value they bring and seem pretty unique. I recently just started learning to paint minis with rising sun, I have an air brush now that greatly helps with priming and basing. I am glad you told me that about fangtooth and spigot, I figured sea spigot would be really good but I did not know about sea fangtooth and his capabilities. I am not looking to hit tournaments any time soon, but it might be fun to do once or twice. I imagine I might want to own a full team to stand a chance. So some tournaments would require the exact model of someone to function in different teams?

4 hours ago, blindside said:

So some tournaments would require the exact model of someone to function in different teams?

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Right now, there are 8 models that have switched guilds, two went to  Union, seasoned Brisket and seasoned Spigot (and he's not even out yet), one went to Farmers, veteran Honour, and then all of the Union in Chains veterans (Gutter, Decimate, Minx, Hemlocke, and Harry(iette)). BUT there are veteran versions of many models. I'd have to really put on my thinking toque, but I'm pretty sure only three have changed in a way that physically necessitates a new model, because they all went up a base size - Katalyst 40->50mm, Ox 30->40mm, Honour 30->40mm. So, from that perspective, there's no rules issue that forces a player to use a new model. However, in a tournament, you will likely be expected to use the proper model (*). So if you want to play veteran Brisket, you'll need the version of her with the blade over her shoulder, even though she's still a 1" melee model and on a 30mm base. PLUS, you could put together a roster that included both. In case you're not certain of the tournament rules - you put together a roster of models that you will choose 6 from for each game, and this roster may include up to 2 captains and 2 mascots (this is an issue for Union ONLY at this time), with Blacksmiths having slightly different requirements (they must field exactly 3 masters and 3 apprentices, but their roster can include any number of each, up to 10, with a minimum of 3 of a type obviously). So, let's say you played Butchers, and you really like oBrisket and vBrisket (because you're a man of taste). You're perfectly fine putting both in your roster, but you may only field one of them during a match.

It may be worth pointing out (maybe not...) - Ratcatchers and Falconers have 6 player PVC boxes available (well, soon for Falconers). However, their guilds are actually 8 players large. The extra 2 players come from their major guild sponsors, Morticians and Hunters. If you do choose Rats and Falcons (that seems... one sided?), which I think is totally legit and will DEFINITELY give you a feel for all styles of play (Rats are tricksy, with some NASTY surprise damage and goal scoring, and Falcons, while less surprising, definitely can hit hard, and they have a quality striker), you will probably eventually want to track down versions of their major guild players. BUT, by no means are they necessary to play these PVC boxes - they are very good without the additional players. As for tournament requirements - right now, and I really don't want to re-ignite the flames, but the guiding document, the OPD (Organized Play Document) indicates that all metal models on a roster must be painted, but pre-color plastic and resin do not have to be painted.

(*) Well, here is where the goofiness that is "alternative" models comes into play. An example are the rookies - it is totally allowed to field them as their original versions. So rookie Zarola can fill in for original Zarola, no problem. A trickier example is alternative Rage - it is totally acceptable to field him as either original Rage or veteran Rage. I don't know yet about Chisel; there is a rookie Chisel, a regular Chisel, and soon (sigh) a veteran Chisel. Can the rookie fill in for both? If so, seems like that's the one to buy. The same can be said for Fangers. There is: regular Fangtooth, easter Fangtooth, rookie Fangtooth, and soon veteran Fangtooth. Can the rookie version be used for all 3? If so - there you go, just pick him up.

Right, the rookies was a reason why I asked. It sounds look like that is in the air whether it is allowed yet, and that is fine. I would hope the rookies for the minor guilds would be a player outside the box, but I suppose we will need to wait and see. For the rats, the two extras only seem okay and do not really seem like must haves, unless season 4 blesses them with a buff. I know less on the falconers but they seem strong as a set also.

The rookies are, as far as I know, only useable as their original versions, not veteran or seasoned versions. Rage is only an exception as his veteran version is a captain, so it’s easier to tell which one is on the field (because blackheart and seasoned brisket either will or won’t be there).

They’ll also probably be models from the boxed 6, otherwise the major guilds will also have access to them too. Can’t remember where I heard it so it might just be rumour, but I thought the ratcatcher one was Scourge?

10 minutes ago, Mako said:

They’ll also probably be models from the boxed 6, otherwise the major guilds will also have access to them too. Can’t remember where I heard it so it might just be rumour, but I thought the ratcatcher one was Scourge?

Interesting... 

No guarantees of course, I don’t know anything secret so if no one else has seen that info it’s quite possible I just dreamed it :D

3 hours ago, Mako said:

I don't know what this means. There will probably be models from the boxed 6... that do what? Oh, rookies? Yeah, I heard it was Scourge from Rats. Obviously we don't know from Falconers. Fangtooth from Order (I guess? But then there's either none from Union, or they're going to serve as either?).  Navs is big unknown.

The Rookies are a side line/red herring.   Don't be distracted by them. 

The game is about the guilds themselves.

Find a local game store and see if you can cut a deal with him. I Sheffield (UK) we get 10% off the retail price from 'The Outpost.' But I think the postage to the USA would eat that up.