Sign in to follow this  
mr baron

List choices v Alchemists

Thinking a bit about this match up.  The Brewers have a number of good choices.  The list I am leaning towards is:

Esters, Quaff, VetDecimate, Hooper, Stoker, Spigot

Lucky is a valid choice, but I like the damage output and the 2" reach of Hooper.  I also like Stoker as he can heal and clear conditions.  Defensive stats of 3/2, makes it tough for the Alchemists 4 TAC.  

I don't play brewers, but played against them as alchemists often. After vDecimate, I think Esters is the obvious captain choice, she is good against both captains now. My fellow alchemists will hate me, but I would change Stoker to Friday, to destroy their game. Stand her in cover, or near your other figures so the alchemist receive some dice penalty, and they won't have too much chance to tackle it from Friday's 5/1 or 6/1, cover, and minus dice. If you place your tough hide models in the way of vet. Katalyst, he will have a hard time killing anything, because his usual hit deals 2 damage instead of 4 against tough hide. If the enemy brings oKatalyst just KD him with a 2" figure from reach, and he is not that scary. So if you control the ball wisely, the alchemists will have to rely on huge luck spike on their dice to tackle the ball (and not loosing it to counter attack or disengage), and tough hide kills their plan B pretty well. One solution against this playstyle that was mentioned on our forum against this was for the alchemists to bring Decimate, and try to thousand cuts Friday while she is only 5/1, but the alchemist must have Decimate in his/her roster, and pray for a 5 to have a game plan for the turn.

Thanks for the reply.  So you are thinking this line up:

Esters, Quaff, VetDecimate, Hooper, Friday, Spigot

I do like this line up a lot.  I agree that Friday at 5/1 is really hard to TO, and I have seen opponents take a lot of attacks and not accomplish that much.  I wanted to see what folks think about Lucky and Stoker into the match up or is there another line up that should be in the conversation.

I think Friday is really strong against teams that want to play ball, maybe a little too good combined with Esters (6/1 at least for the legendary turn, if you want to use her ability for damage during the other turns). This team setup has one of the best ball killing in the game, can kill 1-2 models a turn, they can clean the conditions against Smoke, and tough hide/glut mass is great against alchemists limited damage game. It's still possible to win for the alchemist player, but it's an uphill battle for them. One thing to watch out as the brewer player is when to go for the goal kick with Friday. The optimal is for the last 4 points, because otherwise you give up the ball and Friday might be too ahead of the team next turn for a vet. Katalyst kill + a return goal. Just keep her and Spigot at the back until it's time :).

Personally, before Vet Decimate, i used to play :

Ester / Quaff / Stoker / Hooper / Lucky / Mash

With Vet Decimate i no longer play Mash in my 10, so a good list should be the following :

Ester / Quaff / Stoker / Hooper / Vet Decimate / Lucky or Friday

But i also really like szendroib suggestion !

@Alrik31 it is interesting that Spigot is not in the line up.  it seems like if you have Friday in the line up, it is hard to not take Spigot.

Slightly off topic but I've found vDecimate is incredibly susceptible to conditions with the 3/1 stat line and only 14 boxes..

Does she get brought along for the 2" melee vs unpredictable movement or is it just a case thst with Esters buffs and bag of quaffers she is the flavour of the month.? 

Also, as a side note, Smoke is one of the few match ups where I may not bring a Spigot due to the conditions / low health pool issue.. 

Esters make the condition game ineffective against Brewers. Add Stoker/Hooper to the team and you're golden.

As for why vDeci is taken. She has pre-errata Tresher-like dmg output and a better threat range. And apart from that you still have your captain and another beater in Hooper/Stoker.

Its speed, damage output and 2" melee v unpredictable movement.  With both Smoke and Midas having unpredictable, you need a couple of models with 2" melee, otherwise it is extremely difficult to pin them down.  I think into the Alchemist match up vDecimate & Hooper are required if you are taking Esters.