Sign in to follow this  
Nykolae

Veteran Harmony's Sword

Hi guys,

Quick question: How do you guys keep vHarmony's sword from constantly falling off? I've reglued it so many times now, and it's too thin for pinning. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

What are you using for glue? I glued mine in place with PVA glue (Elmer's Glue All) believe it or not, and it has held well. It's a bit more flexible than CA glue (for example), even if it takes (MUCH) longer to cure.

There should be a circle-shaped dip in the Veteran Harmony body that helps you lock in place the sword grip in the right place. There's a circle on the back of the hands of the sword part. You probably know that already ... but just in case yours was cast badly.

My (unsophisticated) solution when I can't get things to glue together is to get the knife out, scrape off all the old dried-up glue to get back to a clean surface, then use the knife to cut cross-hatches on the surfaces for a bit of extra grip and try again.

2 hours ago, ADG said:

There should be a circle-shaped dip in the Veteran Harmony body that helps you lock in place the sword grip in the right place. There's a circle on the back of the hands of the sword part. You probably know that already ... but just in case yours was cast badly.

Mine was indeed cast quite badly, but that's not the problem. The swordblade broke off and I've had to reglue it multiple times since.

I'll try the idea with the greenstuff later, I think.

Is it possible to glue another part of the blade to the stand or her body? I had teh same problem with Shank's chains and it worked like a charm.

Mine hasn’t broken yet, but it’s only a matter of time. The sword is very fragile and I hold my breath every time I open my carry case.

I have got rookie Chisel on standby to use instead, as once it’s come off I can’t see an easy way of fixing it.

My preferred glue for these types of things is loctite powerflex, as it has a bit of rubbery give in it that helps prevent cracking/snapping off with gentle knocks.

And hope. Hope is also useful :D

I didn't really have much trouble with her. There's a circle for attaching the hilt/hands to her arms, and I glued the end of the sword to the base. It leaves it with a good, firm placement that shouldn't fall off.

It’s not the whole piece that’s the issue - that got glued on fine. But now it’s attached, the sword is incredibly fragile and is in danger of snapping off at the hilt.

1 hour ago, Jon Bucket said:

It’s not the whole piece that’s the issue - that got glued on fine. But now it’s attached, the sword is incredibly fragile and is in danger of snapping off at the hilt.

How do you store your minis? I have my GB teams in Feldherr Mini cases and haven't had any bother, other than a few wider pieces bending slightly (Mallet's mallet, Fillet's lower blade). A good storage solution may solve the issue

8 hours ago, Pinball said:

How do you store your minis? I have my GB teams in Feldherr Mini cases and haven't had any bother, other than a few wider pieces bending slightly (Mallet's mallet, Fillet's lower blade). A good storage solution may solve the issue

I store mine in a Feldherr case too. My Mallet and Flint are fine... so it could just be an iffy sculpt, or a one off knock that caused a weakness.

These things happen though - all part of being a gamer.

I glued the tip of the blade to the base as well. My shodding gluing then is covered by some static grass / tuft during the basing. :P 

15 hours ago, Jon Bucket said:

I store mine in a Feldherr case too. My Mallet and Flint are fine... so it could just be an iffy sculpt, or a one off knock that caused a weakness.

These things happen though - all part of being a gamer.

My Mallet is the Kick Off plastic one, he's a bit softer - plus I might occasionally over fill the case if I'm squeezing 3 teams in for travel - my own problem! 😉

I have put the figure together. See what you all mean about the wrists being a tight fit. They sure are. Managed that after making the hole for the attached disk a fraction larger with a sharp knife. This left the very large sword she is equipped with hanging over the base edge. I pushed the whole figure into a more upright stance to have the tip 'inboard'. (I think that was how she was meant to be and I had got it wrong.)

I then put some cubes of mdf that are a similar size to the cobblestones I have on the bases of all my masons. Approx 2mm by 2mm. These are arranged under the tip of that crazy sword. Just touching the bigger notch. This should negate the huge lever on her fragile wrists as both ends are now fixed.