Laughnchill

How do you deal with tilt?

When I play condition based teams like hunters ALCHEMISTS and morts I often get tilted because it becomes impossible to do anything. How do you deal with tilt and what tilts you?

Things that tilt me:

• Someone obviously adding 1/2" to movements by removing the measuring stick before placing the model, or to character plays by 'accidentally' nudging their models forward. Clumsy them! 😒
  • Having a really bad dice game. I know, it's dice, anything can happen. But after missing the third Puppet Master on that 3+ model, it can really get under my skin.
  • People taking ages to decide on Gameplan stuff, like the 4" dodges or where to place that Singled Out marker. I hate losing games on dice down...

And while the first one is rather obvious, the other two are just part of the game. Dice happen, and not every decision is as easy to make, especially for people that have just started playing.

You're actually never in a position to do absolutely nothing. Even activation with no influence can be hugely influential, by i.e. crowding out targets, or getting ready for a snap shot, or even just moving outside of 3" of friendly models to stop multiple people getting hit by a single AoE.

Hunters, Morticians and Smoke Alchemists just have a very different playstyle compared to more straightforward Guilds, like the Butchers and Fishermen.

For Hunters and Spooks, it's all about control of the Pitch, and constantly trying to force your opponent to make sub-optimal plays, on which you can try and capitalize. Yes, games tend to get a tad grindy, but that's the control game. ~50% of what you're doing is trying to counter your opponent's plans, while the other ~50% is reacting on the choices of your opponent. It's a 100% reactive playstyle, which requires a great deal of thinking ahead and game knowledge. After a game with either of them, my brain usually needs a breather, while after a game with Masons I still feel fresh and could go for another right away.

For Smoke Alchemists, it's 100% based on keeping your opponent from playing the game. You're constantly forcing him to spend his MP on clearing conditions, while keeping as far away as possible and letting the condition damage tick. After a while, you just let your shotgun (also known as vKat) just delete some models, maybe even Witness Me for 4 VP. Bring Vitriol and go for a 2 goal, 1 Witness game against more brawly teams. Or bring Compound and go for a 2-4 TO, 1 goal game against scoring teams. Just remember, your main goal is to keep your opponent MP starved and keeping those conditions ticking, and be as non-interactive as possible. You don't want ranks to close, you have no frontline. ;) Also, if you really want to go and score, just drop Midas. He's not as bad as people make him out to be, he's just different than what he was before.

That's what I'm getting at. I play farmer's and allow tons of interaction. I can't stand playing when I don't well, get to play. So what I am trying to learn is how to deal with the tilt. 

I vent out loud for a minute or two. I then take in the situation. I own what i cannot change. I focus on what i can change. I then move forward and make my plans come true(as best as i can). That is how i overcome tilt in Guild Ball. Tilt in poker is another story. Those blasted 4% for a $1000 or more on the line can really grind your gears.

Well I long ago did many years of Poker and I learned that being on tilt just got me in even more trouble.  It was mostly an experience thing, play more so it bothers you less kinda of thing.  The other aspect came down to what was mentioned above, know what you can have an impact on and let the rest go.  Plus if you are a more casual player a nice adult beverage always is key to my table.  

What puts me on tilt in GB is when I setup a nice play and go to execute it but forget a character ability or I am off by 1/2 inch that makes the play impossible.  

One of the best ways to counteract tilt is to enjoy the game FOR your opponent, you have to learn to appreciate he is playing his game like you are playing yours. 

Is he charging Windle with Hammer? “Aww, shit lets see if you get that double rap!” Instead of “FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GIVE ME SOME 1’s!” Is a whole world of difference.

I get tilted all the time but I try my best to make the game an enjoyable exoerience for my opponent, it is a game after all. Feel bad for your opponent when he misses a kick or biffs an attack and be quick to congratulate him when he plays well.

Hard to do but will help you in the long run.

It's all about mindset.  

Also, the grass is greener to an extent, all the match ups you mentioned are probably thinking - if thresher gets a clean line on me i'm done.  

The best way to avoid being tilted is to laugh; just enjoy the moment like Gorion said and realise that whatever else it's not sheep stations.