Snow

Veteran Fangtooth

Posted (edited)

So this may not be 100% accurate, but we have enough of a flavour from the streamed game to have an idea of how he might fit in.

What are everyone's thoughts on how Vet Fangtooth will fit into the Solthecians long term and Blackheart/Rage teams in the interim?

I haven't played much Brisket, but I do think he seems situationally strong in vRage. Although I do think that Gutter and Decimate may still be better into armour due to vFangtooth being only tac 5, 2/3 inf and no anatomical. Thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited with full card:

36383476_10155324510072735_1741106697289596928_n.jpg

36376891_10155324510127735_14998897675993088_n.jpg

Edited by Snow

He’s minimum Tac 7 with Bloody Coin (8 with the Tortoise Bonus). I think he’ll be just fine in a brawl.

I really like his Potbellied pass. Spigot can Balls Gone! or Read the Game it to Fangtooth who can pass it to someone else, and either Brisket or (for now) Blackheart can then call the ball in their activation.

Sooo, now we have the full card, it's almost like they've thought about vRage 😂

6 minutes ago, Snow said:

Sooo, now we have the full card, it's almost like they've thought about vRage 😂

He's still solid. You just need someone else as the primary Red Fury target, i.e. Gutter.

Im excited to get some games in with him this weekend. Going to keep it within Order only. With him and SSpig they will help fill in the lack of Take out options they struggle with.

I'm having a hard time getting excited about this guy.  On the one hand, bringing 2 influence and having glutenous mass and 2" melee is really strong.  Having all his damage values over-inflated is also really powerful.  There are clear connections to the original Fangtooth in the Flagrant trait and Ground Pound character play and he even took a bath.  Given all that, I still like oFangtooth more because his design is tight and focused even though he doesn't see much play and vFangtooth will be on many Order teams. 

Every part of oFangtooth's card is focused on a couple ideas: damage dense playbook, momentous knock downs, no repositions, low influence but powerful traits that make up for it if used carefully.  vFangtooth is all over the place.  He's got Blacksmith damage values on his playbook but he has the standard tac long playbook length.  The pushes seem like they're on there just because big guys have pushes.  Does anyone else have any idea what he's doing when he uses the Flagrant trait?  I think he probably licks the fire and poison off of his team mate and it gives him heart burn but your guess is as good as mine.  Potbellied Pass seems like it's on there just because he's in the Order and Order models have passing tricks.  Never mind that his 2 die kick will make it questionable to ever use it.  Why was Glutenous Mass renamed?  Does SFG think we won't believe he's fat just because he's covered in armor now?  Does the game really need two rules with different names and identical effects?  I thought there were enough things for new players to keep track of.

Overall I think vFangtooth's design is inelegant and worse, uninteresting.  I'll probably try him once with vRage or Blackheart because 2" melee is pretty good and once Soltheicans are their own team he has a slot in the 8.  Here's hoping vCalculous's design shows the principles that made vChisel rather than the ones that made vFangtooth.

5 minutes ago, MechMage said:

I'm having a hard time getting excited about this guy.  On the one hand, bringing 2 influence and having glutenous mass and 2" melee is really strong.  Having all his damage values over-inflated is also really powerful.  There are clear connections to the original Fangtooth in the Flagrant trait and Ground Pound character play and he even took a bath.  Given all that, I still like oFangtooth more because his design is tight and focused even though he doesn't see much play and vFangtooth will be on many Order teams. 

Every part of oFangtooth's card is focused on a couple ideas: damage dense playbook, momentous knock downs, no repositions, low influence but powerful traits that make up for it if used carefully.  vFangtooth is all over the place.  He's got Blacksmith damage values on his playbook but he has the standard tac long playbook length.  The pushes seem like they're on there just because big guys have pushes.  Does anyone else have any idea what he's doing when he uses the Flagrant trait?  I think he probably licks the fire and poison off of his team mate and it gives him heart burn but your guess is as good as mine.  Potbellied Pass seems like it's on there just because he's in the Order and Order models have passing tricks.  Never mind that his 2 die kick will make it questionable to ever use it.  Why was Glutenous Mass renamed?  Does SFG think we won't believe he's fat just because he's covered in armor now?  Does the game really need two rules with different names and identical effects?  I thought there were enough things for new players to keep track of.

Overall I think vFangtooth's design is inelegant and worse, uninteresting.  I'll probably try him once with vRage or Blackheart because 2" melee is pretty good and once Soltheicans are their own team he has a slot in the 8.  Here's hoping vCalculous's design shows the principles that made vChisel rather than the ones that made vFangtooth.

Dear me, MechMage, did you get out the wrong side of the bed this morning? All you have to do is read the blog post and it tells you why Glutenous Mass was renamed. Flagellation is the act of beating yourself as punishment during a religious act. In this case, Fangers is hurting himself to heal others. It stems from the flogging and whipping of Jesus.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MechMage said:

I'm guessing you didn't read the blog, as they explain that Glut. Mass is going to be renamed as the name made it difficult for them to put on models who aren't concepted/sculpted as big buggers, so Glut. Mass IS Resilience going forward.

The remove conditions is also called Flagellant, not Flagrant. In case people don't know, Flagellation is a religious practice where a penitent will harm themself, usually with a whip or chains, to try and purify themselves through pain. Fits with the religious aspect and harming himself to 'remove sin/conditions'.

2/6" isn't that bad (75% success odds), and the damage is simply because he's a brute, and always has been, but now he has a zealousness we didn't see before.

Edited by S_A_T_S
Ninja'd by @Selfy

I admit I didn't read the blog and in light of that the trait name change makes a lot of sense but I know what Flagellation is.  Getting a friendly player's foot out of a bear trap by whipping yourself makes even less sense than when Millstone takes conditions instead of whatever friendly model was hit by a condition.

Just now, MechMage said:

I admit I didn't read the blog and in light of that the trait name change makes a lot of sense but I know what Flagellation is.  Getting a friendly player's foot out of a bear trap by whipping yourself makes even less sense than when Millstone takes conditions instead of whatever friendly model was hit by a condition.

There are loads of plays and traits that don't make any sense what-so-ever. 

Just now, MechMage said:

For those of us of a more secular bent, believing some bearded white dude in the sky will give you free shit if you ask him nicely enough times makes fuck all sense too, but this is a fantasy game - there could well be a god doing Fangtooth favours for blood in this reality.

1 minute ago, Selfy said:

There are loads of plays and traits that don't make any sense what-so-ever. 

That may be, and GB is after all a game so it's better that the rules make an interesting system to play than one that is an accurate simulation.  That said, I wouldn't call more of them an improvement.

1 minute ago, S_A_T_S said:

For those of us of a more secular bent, believing some bearded white dude in the sky will give you free shit if you ask him nicely enough times makes fuck all sense too, but this is a fantasy game - there could well be a god doing Fangtooth favours for blood in this reality.

I can believe that.  I retract my objections.

1 minute ago, MechMage said:

Getting a friendly player's foot out of a bear trap by whipping yourself makes even less sense...

Does Snared have to represent one's foot being tied down in a bear trap? How about an ankle sprain?

Besides, I'm sure someone more versed in History of Catholic church canonisation than I am would be able to come up with examples of "proven" miracles where a Saint had, through pennance of some sort and/or flagellation, helped someone heal/survive severe wounds (Bleed) or burns (Burning), poisons (Poison), sickness (Disease), concussions or broken bones (Taken-Out), or a miriad other ailments...

Veteran Calculus is going to be terrible because Smoke betrayed her and cut off her long hair that gave her super powers ...

18 minutes ago, masterkdog said:

Veteran Calculus is going to be terrible because Smoke betrayed her and cut off her long hair that gave her super powers ...

Please God no. @TheCurkov and the other 'chemists won't survive any more punishment! They're still recovering from the previous banhammer!

The Ecumenical discussion aside, I think Fang2th is insanely powerful in Union, good in order. Bloody Coin ramps his DMG to silly levels. 4 on 2, 7 on 5, Tac 7. 

Whisper it...for the next 5 months, Union are the new Thresher Farmers....

36 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

The Ecumenical discussion aside, I think Fang2th is insanely powerful in Union, good in order. Bloody Coin ramps his DMG to silly levels. 4 on 2, 7 on 5, Tac 7. 

It's only for 3 attacks at most. It's not that bad. If Broken Ties wasn't there, yeah, new Thresher Farmers.

1 hour ago, EpicChris said:

Gutter and decimate get more work out of bloody coin though. I don't think you're ever bloody coining him unless you've misplayed, or are otherwise somehow on the back foot and don't have a better target for it

9 hours ago, Gauntlet said:

He's still solid. You just need someone else as the primary Red Fury target, i.e. Gutter.

Yeah, he definitely seems like an option. I'd want some game time to decide if and when he's an option I use.