Sign in to follow this  
Jacob C

Football Legend

This character trait has caused a lot of questions with my friend and I. I've searched in the forums and didn't seem to find anything addressing this issue.

Football Legend [4" Aura] states: "While within this aura friendly Guild models gain [+1/+1"] KICK"

That's not so bad on the outside, but when you get into specific circumstances it gets hairy (not Harry :D)

Friendly Model: A friendly model/marker is a model or marker that belongs to the same team as the active model.

Active Model: During a model's activation, it is the active model unless another model is performing an action. In all other instances where a model becomes the active model, it is not considered to be that model's activation. There can only be one active model at a time.

This mostly brings up questions of Masons v Masons and Mallet. If the active player is Masons, activating Harmony, and does not have Mallet on the pitch but is on the roster/team, does this apply to them? Harmony is a friendly model, according to Mallet (Harmony belongs to the same team as Mallet, and is in the same guild). The only ambiguity here, really, is what defines a "team". There is nothing in the rulebook for the definition of a team. I would assume "team" would mean who is on the pitch, but it is very easy to argue that a guild or a roster is also a team. I would then to go the roster, but if Mallet is on Harmony's roster then it's still ambiguous. 

From the rulebook:

Pre-Game
Guild Ball is a game played between two teams of equal sizes. Players 
agree to a game size before picking a Guild to represent. They then select 
models from an extensive roster to make up their team for the game.

Also if a model is not on the pitch it's aura cannot be measured.

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, so does this answer your question?

Right, but if Harmony is Active, Mallet is technically a friendly team due to them both being on their rosters for their team, and both being from the same guild, therefore Mallet can be argued to be on the friendly team when he is not on the pitch of the active model. There is no differentiation between the two Mallets other than the obvious, he's on the opposing player's side of the field kind of thing

But friendly model/marker according to the rules states:  A friendly model/marker is a model or marker that belongs to the same team as the active model. And around and around we go. This is the problem my friend and I had. Team needs to be defined to stop somebody from arguing this at a tournament and eating up time.

"They then select models from an extensive roster to make up their team for the game"

A team is the models selected by a player from a roster. The roster is defined by the chosen guild.

A team is not any model on the roster or from the guild. A team does not include models selected by the opposite player. A team does not include models that a player doesn't select to make up the team.

I agree with everything that has been posted. I wasn't arguing to be an ass, it just needed to be clarified. Everything said makes logical sense, but not logistical (I think that's the right word?) sense in terms of the rules that have been printed by SFG. There are two separate teams, but it's all implied. 

Am I making sense?

Page 8 of the online rulebook has all the rules for what a team is and how one is chosen.

There are two separate teams. It is in the rules.

Yes: In a typical game of Guild Ball there are six Guild models per team, including a Captain and a Mascot. The most important member of a team is the Captain who determines the team’s Guild. A team may only have one model with the [Captain] type. A team may also only have one model with the [Mascot] type. The Mascot and all other models selected must be able to play for the same Guild as the Captain model. Each named character is unique and can only be taken once per team.

Try not to be frustrated, I'm only relaying what he is saying and what we have and are thinking about. We both understand that there are two teams, but if we are bringing this up then surely someone else will and hopefully they will find this explanation.

...to make up their team for the game... OK, each player has a team, and Active/Enemy models more or less states that they are opposing.

...six Guild models per team... Clarifies teams better, putting forth that Rosters =\= teams, but the 6 models on the pitch = teams. Now let's add Mallet on both teams to the mix.

Each named character is unique and can only be taken once per team... Mallet is now on both teams.  Harmony is out of Mallet's range but because enemy Mallet is on the other team, even if she was in his range it is the opposing team that is controlling enemy Mallet.

I think it may behoove others to put this into the clarifications. You may not think it needs to be clarified, but if we need to go to more than one area in the rule book(pg 8 and pg 14), even though it's easy to understand when it's laid out (Enemy Mallet =\= Friendly to Harmony in our example, because of the enemy model rule), and that it can be argued this far, it may deserve to go into the post.

I don't presume to know how things are done, though, so do with it what you will :)

Thank you for the discussion and clarification!