Sign in to follow this  
Banjulhu

Running Fish into Farmers

So the near future now holds for me another team I have yet to face, the Farmers.

What should be my starting point? Do I go for a typical Corsair 2-2 team and pick on one of the low def no armour models to get take outs or would I be better off running a Shark team with multiple fast 2" melee range goal threats to force the farmers to spread out?

Also much in the same way people have to be aware that oSiren is on the pitch when playing against Fish, is there any particular model(s) I should be watchful of that could ruin my day?

I play a high-speed 3-0 game with Shark. Corsair is not a great match-up here as you don't want him in the scrum (Thresher will rip him apart), and they struggle to hide the ball, so you should be able to get it back. Be prepared to trade players for goal, watch out for Thresher, he's still really fast.

So something along the lines of missiling Shark or Sakana up to score an early goal and then keeping them in kicking range of the goal to threaten the snap shot and/or draw flak, drop in Greyscales and/or oSiren as dedicated ball recovery and possibly have Hag at the back to clear scrums and set up better field position?

I agree with Ningu, Farmers easily outfight Corsair but struggle to hide the ball, so Shark with a full scoring team is the way to go. I would play Shark, Tentacles, Greyscales, Hag, Siren1 and either of the Sakanas.

Yeah, something like that. Got distracted half way through writing that post... 😀

I'd take Shark, Tentacles, oSiren, Greyscale, Sakana and Hag.

If you are kicking, kick with Shark down the middle and leave him 10" away from Thresher. If they place the ball on one side of the team, get it and score. Then move Greyscales and Sakana up opposite flanks ready to retrieve the ball after scoring. Move Tentacles up to blind somebody if possible and keep oSiren out of the way until she can run and grab the ball.

So standard Shark tactics of "Dont let turn three happen".

I might go with oSakana for this given his ability to buff his own speed just using Inf but vSakana could also be a thing given the low def and scrum focused nature of the Farmers

If you take vSakana, put him on the same side as Jack or Peck (hopefully both). You should be able to find a soft target to get Fancy Footwork off if they try to hide the ball.

Is it worth investing some resources into sprinting over harvest markers to remove them or do I just have to expect abd play around the Farmers having a lot more Inf than me?

If you're stopping before turn 3, then they probably aren't going to have more influence than you often (You probably can't do too much about the Turn 1 Harvest Markers anyway)

I personally look to do so if I think they want the marker for setting something up, or if I can get 2 or more in 1 sprint, but I've not faced them using Fish.

Generally, it's not worth going out of your way to get harvest markers. Thresher can use 1 to extend his Melee range to 3", but you don't want to be near him when activates, so it can be quite hard to get rid of it. The one to watch if Tater - if he is near a HM he can counter charge. If you are getting that close to Tater, you should be able to either remove it on the way past, or engage him to stop the charge.

Looking over their cards I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that if the game gets into turn three then I will very likely be up shit creek without a paddle.

So the farmers game turned out to be a lot smoother than initially expected, mostly thanks to in the first activation Jackstraw fluffing up a kick to Tater and putting it 6" behind the goal line. The farmers player was forced to rearrange his line to stop any retrieval and pass to the models on the deployment line becoming Shark bait. He did that very well and was able to shut down me stealing the ball and getting a turn one goal but at the cost of giving me field position and Shark a chance to use Windle as a momentum battery.

The turn ended with Shark in a forward position with Greyscales and Siren on the wings and vSakana midfield. I was able to get Initiative with Midfield General (+1"/+1" Mov) and went to town. Shark stole the ball, fired off his legendary and scored. The Farmers tried to kill the ball and keep it from an easy recovery by Siren or Sakana but Greyscales was able to charge and bounce around Jackstraw to pickup and shoot for goal two. On the next kick off the ball was just dropped slightly infront of the goal and picked up by Grange who went and wrecked Shark's day (Shark ended up on the ground with a handful of HP left and Tater looming over him). Siren made a 10" charge (Midfield General is useful at times) into Grange wrapped, dodged back and asked him nicely to pass to her and preceded to get goal number three.

The game did not go as either of us expected but I had the advantage of being able to capitalise and gain field position.

We're going to have a rematch where hopefully the game does not fall apart for one of us in turn one because Fish-Farmers feels like it can have some interesting matches.