Sign in to follow this  
Sharky

Midas vs brewers

Hey there I've got a battle against a brewer player tonight, that the last time I took smoke against and I was nearly ready to rip my hair out, from the amount of conditions removal that occurred.  So what do I take in a all alchemist team using midas instead?

It's a really bad matchup, especially since vDecimate arrived and Esters got more pupular. Esters, Spigot and Friday can just keep the ball with 6 def and 1 armor in a scrum, and you can't really do anything about it expect hope for a spike of 6-es. It either happens or it doesn't (usually it doesn't). I find this Friday combo quite broken tbh, more than vDecimate. It was there before, but Esters and brewers got way more popular since vDecimate, and most of my games are against Brewers now either with alchemists or hunters (hunters have even less chance to get the ball, but at least they can fight dirty). Other problem with alchemists vs brewers is the tough hides. The only target for vKatalyst is basically Spigot, and he can stay at the back. So if Brewers want you can't really play ball, and you can't really use vKat either. The matchup can still be won, but it's really an uphill battle.

20 hours ago, szendroib said:

Esters, Spigot and Friday can just keep the ball with 6 def and 1 armor in a scrum, and you can't really do anything about it expect hope for a spike of 6-es.

I have been thinking about this: what about Thousand Cuts with Decimate? Needs a nearby DEF3 brewer to make it reliable, but negates her +2DEF buffs.

Another theoretical option is to Midas Touch Friday before you score (before she gets the ball and is buffed) - unless Friday has Tough Skin form Hooper, you are guaranteed 1 hit. Also needs Vitriol (for 2" reach) to charge Friday same turn as the goal though - not sure who is doing the scoring in this scenario...

Thousand cuts is actually a great idea, but it's really hard to hit from playbook to avoid the 6 def. Maybe if you charge and the enemy doesn't have mom to def stance. But even if you hit it, Friday can just move away from your strikers after it, since she is really fast. I'll keep it in mind anyway, because it seems like the best solution for now. Maybe vet. Calculus will have some nice football abilities like most of the new players.

6 hours ago, szendroib said:

Thousand cuts is actually a great idea, but it's really hard to hit from playbook 

Yeah, you have to charge, but most Brewers are 3/1 and Decimate ignores 1 ARM, so the odds are good. You're right though, Def Stance will probably ruin the plan.