Sign in to follow this  
skcpae

Comparisons to RL Nations

Hey everyone, has Steamforged come out and published a list of nationalities as they relate to the fluff world of the Empire of the Free Cities? I'm guessing that Erkistad is supposed to be like Russia, considering they are both home teams of the World Cup/Homelands Cup... and Decimate's name is actually Svetlana, a stereotypical Russian name.

But what about the other Nations? If there isn't a list published, does anyone have some guesses?

Well, I'll go for an easy one and say that Eisnor (home of the Viking-like Esters and Mash) is Iceland and/or Norway.

I reckon someone can take a good guess at Mald ...

Some of them are fairly obvious with their names. Numasai is eastern asia-inspired, Indar is India, Sultarish is inspired by the middle east.

12 hours ago, ADG said:

Well, I'll go for an easy one and say that Eisnor (home of the Viking-like Esters and Mash) is Iceland and/or Norway.

Eis = Ice

nor= North

Sounds like Iceland to me. 

Check out the season 1 fluff in the  resources section and they give a break down of the nations. Too me it kinda sounds like a lot are a mixture of a couple real life nations, rather than being a direct copy. 

Figo is Italy, Cestellya is Spain, etc. The GB world is pretty much a light re-skinning of the real world and is especially close to actual Europe.

That'd make Piervo Rome (religious city, home to the church), Raedland is the UK (strongest navy, seafaring nation), Eisnor is somewhere in Scandinavia, I'd guess Valentia is France (vineyards, revolution), Maldriven should be Scotland but could also be Belgium (Brewers home turf). I'm just not sure on Skald. Maybe Germany?

1 minute ago, Nykolae said:

That'd make Piervo Rome (religious city, home to the church), Raedland is the UK (strongest navy, seafaring nation), Eisnor is somewhere in Scandinavia, I'd guess Valentia is France (vineyards, revolution), Maldriven should be Scotland but could also be Belgium (Brewers home turf). I'm just not sure on Skald. Maybe Germany?

Given Skaldicfest was Esters and Quaff in Oktoberfest outfits, I’d say you’re right with Germany

On 6/21/2018 at 6:17 PM, RedSam said:

The GB world is pretty much a light re-skinning of the real world and is especially close to actual Europe.

I find most fantasy worlds are - Warhammer world certainly is. There is so much variety in this world, I suppose game designers think why make work for yourself. Also gets people to engage with the world if they can understand/imagine it.

S1 rulesbook has detailed descriptions of each nation and a map. SFG is never going to officially say which is based on what, as that would look like admiting they didn't put much effect into making them up themselves.

So checking out the S1 PDF again, there are 9 countries described;

Skald, Valentia, Ethraynee, Raedland, Piervo, Eisnor, Catellya, Figo and Erskirad.

I've looked on the player cards and there are 4 more by my count;

Indar, Mald(riven), Numasai and Sultarish. Were they described anywhere? I don't see them on the S2 PDF... that book seems to be more about the Guild updates.

Someone also shared an image of the shields and there was only 10. I think all 13 countries CAN be played in a Homelands cup now...