with season 4 on the horizon got me thinking of what I would like to see for Blacksmiths in season 4.

first on my list is that master of the forge gives +1/+2 influence making the captain 4/5 inf. this would put the blacksmiths on the average amount of 13 influence whilst still keeping the master apprentice 3/3 and 1/4(3) split.

whilst I don't think any of the player cards need changing I would like to split the masters legendary plays in two, one of which is captain only, instead of one combined one. I feel this will make things clearer to new plays and also opens up the possibility for some of the master only parts of the legendary plays to be heroic plays instead.

what do you think of my list and what do you want to see in season 4 for blacksmiths?

+1 Influence woud be good.

Farris need the KD earlier... shes on a Horse :)

Sentinel maybe in melee range?

Sledge 1/4 Influence...

Iron Arm 3, look at his armor ;)

some ideas...

But where does the KD go? Wouldn't put it on the second column as I would rather have an earlier stager. Posiably 3rd column replacing the tackle, having it on first would be too good.

i'm not sure sledges problem is his inf cap it's more that it's so telegraphed.

i could get behind I bigger sentinel range 😀,

that would make him a 2/4 when in sentinel... sounds legit 

Move the KD on 2 combined with the  >    :)

I think 1/4 Influence is important for most (all?) of the Apprentices... You have so much work to set them up... the greatest weakness of the smiths is, that most of their actions are telegraphed... so you need the reward for all the preparation... and with a 3 Influence cap its more difficult to get the reward...

Bolt & Sledge both get a free character play if they are close enough to their masters. I think that will be why they have the 3INF cap.

I like the idea of the extra INF and always choose the game plan cards with that on them if possible.

Regarding Farris, how about instead of moving the KD, she automatically does a KD in addition to whatever other playbook result she rolls during a charge or impact attack? Admittedly, it may make impacts too strong since she can keep moving afterwards. 

These are the fixes I would make to Blacksmiths:

• Sledge can potentially do insane quantities of damage but only if you have also spent insane quantities of setup. Iron, Cast and Alloy can reliably do more damage than Sledge, because they have better Playbooks (they have better low results) and can carry more INF. Even Bolt and Cinder can do good damage with a low investment (but no MP, sadly). So I think Sledge must have a shorter Playbook (6 rows) with a 6 momentous damage at its end. Also, lower his 4 momentous damage to row 4. With this, he will have a more reliable damage delivery.
  • Anvil has good plays and he is damn resiliant, but he is overcome by the rest of Masters. Among the possible changes (I would pick only 1 or two of them) I would give him a reliable access to his Singled Out (second row), shorten his Playbook by 1 row, melee 2", improve his legendary to give him +2 TAC (instead of +1) and change his Play "While the Iron is Hot" as: "While the Iron is Hot: Choose one of the borders of the Pitch. Friendly models within this pulse immediately make a [2"] Dodge directly towards the chosen boarder." In this way, the Play will be more useful (more directions to move with it) and faster to execute (it's easier to point perpendicularly to a border than directly towards a goal post.).
  • I love Farris but I feel like some Traits are a waste on her. "Give It a Whack" is good, but not as good on Farris because her KICK stats are pathetic. Also, her Legendary is disappointing. I would remove "Give it a Whack" and I would give her some other trait to help repositioning enemies. Maybe "Step Back!: Once per turn, when this model declares an Attack or Charge against an enemy model, this model may choose to add an additional [>] Playbook result for the remainder of the Attack." Like the old Vitriol's Hidden Damage, but with a free 1" Push. And her Legendary, apart of his stealing ball ability, it could give "Step Back!" to friendly models within the pulse (instead of giving "Give It a Whack").

Also, some changes you mention could be very powerful.

Models with ARM 4 are barely indestructible. A model only have this ARM if he can use it once per turn (like Benediction). Imagine Iron with ARM 3, within a Sentinel aura and in cover... if you don't charge him or you have TAC 6 or higher, you cannot do him at melee anything. And don't forget Defensive Stance...

Auto-KD are also too brute. That's the reason Bolt, with his Shoemerang, and Hearth, with her 3" melee zone and her KD in row 1, are amazing models. Giving something similar to Farris will make her too good (she has a potential melee threat of 14"). I think it's probably that these two model would be nerfed in Season 4.

I can't see BS changing much. They would have had a play in S4 I would have thought. I mean nerfing BS seems like kicking a puppy at this point given how they are doing generally. 

I'm doubting that those models will be nerfed as Steamforged only really nerf teams that are doing absurdly well (farmers, alchemists, fish), and let's face it blacksmiths just haven't been making waves in the competitive scene.

yes there really good abilities but I wouldn't say there game changeing, shoemargange is opt and 3" KD is opg so there not busted. But I do agree that Ferries shouldn't have a really easy KD as she already has an easy stagger and having both is really good, just look at v decimate.

The other fix I can see them doing for sledge is keep his playbook the same length but increase his damage on his column 3 and 5 to momentus 3 and 5 respectively. This would also make his damage out put more reliable and not make is piledriver ridiculously powerful.

I think Sledge is more a ball retriever with damage being his secondary role. Tackle on 1, 2" melee, Knock back, and Piledrver from Tutipage means he's damn near guaranteed to get the ball off someone, and shove them away as well.

Or Tutilage Long Bomb, to get the ball way up the field. Tackle and Kick for only 2 inf. 

Plus, he can also crush someone with set up.

I think the only model that needs a tweak is Anvil. I think once he is fixed it will open to doors to seeing Sledge and himself on the pitch more.

I just think Tough Hide doesn't warrant making him the Captain, like hardly ever, and feels a shame to not have such a nice model leading every now and then.

Perhaps change his Legendary to +1 ARM to apprentices and +1 TAC to masters within 6"? Continues his resilient theme with Sentinel and the tutelage theme by buffing masters.

Or give KD on MOM results within 6"? just the fact that’s what he is good at himself.

Not sure, but Sledge I think is fine and Farris although I've only ever used her Captain Legendary once, like the uniqueness of it and although she isn't a great kicker (can always bonus time it mind) the team and future models could benefit it nicely.

Anvil is too slow. And his 1" melee is annoying. If he was slightly faster and had 2" I would definitely consider him. 

If anvil gets patched then I would definitely take Sledge. The boy can do a lot of football. 

With "Strike while the iron is hot", I think his spd is just fine, considering he can make his whole team dodge 2" forward or back every turn. 

1 hour ago, Devilsquid said:

With "Strike while the iron is hot", I think his spd is just fine, considering he can make his whole team dodge 2" forward or back every turn. 

It's still a 7 inch threat unless you don't want him to do anything and sprint him for 9, assuming his not the captain, and if he is you've spent 3 inf getting to your target which is really inefficient. 

4 minutes ago, PanzerHarris said:

Momentous Inspiration on Burnish. His teams end up being so starved of Momentum it's been painful...

That would certainly see him get dropped as captain a lot more. 

1 hour ago, Devilsquid said:

It's still a 7 inch threat unless you don't want him to do anything and sprint him for 9, assuming his not the captain, and if he is you've spent 3 inf getting to your target which is really inefficient. 

43 minutes ago, PanzerHarris said:

Momentous Inspiration on Burnish. His teams end up being so starved of Momentum it's been painful...

If burnish had this and alloy got dirty knives off the playbook while with in 4 would it generate double the momentum?

No...

Same with Ballista and Succer Punch..

You need to hit, while using a char play..

Not Making an attack and  use a Charakterplay...

6 minutes ago, CaerSidis said:

No...

Same with Ballista and Succer Punch..

You need to hit, while using a char play..

Not Making an attack and  use a Charakterplay...

Good to know, as that felt a little bonkers 

Would give you a reason to drop him as a squaddie too. Even if it's he gains momentum normally, and on the legendary turn it's Momentous Inspiration. 

I love the idea of Reinforced Plating but never have the Momentum to power it. 

Burnish is a very complete player. He can remove conditions for (almost) a free cost, reposition free balls and drop a truly painful AOE (even spam AOEs once per game, he's one of the Masters that can do interesting things with 5 INF on it, includind Ferrite and maybe Hearth for a KD-rush). Also he has a very good Playbook (KD and double Push on row 2 and DAM 3 on row 4, with TAC 5, not bad for a Master) and a good resistance (with DEF3+, ARM2 and 18HP). Finally, he's not as attached to his apprentice as the other masters. Cast can work well without him (while wearing Furnace), and the utility function of Burnish can help any of the apprentices.

You don't have to see him as a Flame Belch turret machine, but as a toolbox against controling and heavy-condition teams.