Banjulhu

vSakana Rules Revealed

http://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/5-6-2018-veteran-sakana-the-faithful-new-begginings

sakana1.jpg?format=750w

sakana2.jpg?format=750w

Well there they are folks.

Not 100% sold on him. I like him but I dont think he is good enough to replace his original version in most of my team setups.

Bag of Coffers makes up in a way for the drop in inf. Later allocation of an inf can be very very good especially given Fish are a team that has less activation order issues than most, but the short range limitation and the capacity for an opponent to take him out or move him to a poor position gives me pause for though.

Another way to get the ball back without a tackle result is always welcome but I would have much preferred a way to get a hold of a killed loose ball.

Needs some game time me thinks.

I am of the opposite opinion, I feel like he replaces Sakana1 in almost every lineup.

He has a great playbook, interesting plays, very good access to damage which is something Fish is missing outside of Corsair himself, Bag of coffers is amazing.

Eh, the playbook can only be activated via attacking and the GB result you want is on column three of a Tac 5 model. That means you will need charges or help to make it reliable.

3 non-momentous damage on column 5 is nothing special, Jac packs it on 4 for example and we actually have quite a bit low result 2 kicking around. The issue with Fish and damage is not generating momentum when doing damage, because not having MP generation screws the game up.

As a theme, I don't understand why fish get absolutely no momentous dmg. Its not like butchers don't get any models with a good kick. I guess we have to see how jac and kraken shape up in season 4. From what we can tell with navigators, they won't be a source of it either. But we don't have a complete picture. 

The original Sakana was personally very dangerous, this version seems more like he makes another one of your models dangerous. Which I'm fine with, but will definitely take some practice. I'm not throwing out his original version just yet.  

For the limited time that we have vetSakana and gutter I think he'll be strong though. 

On a personal note, I miss singled out. Please give me singled out back. Haha. If you could manage to get 6 hits a couple times on someone in the Corsair scrum, your dmg would be sweet. 

On first look, I thought that Fancy Footwork only worked on the model you attack, but it actually has a 4" range, making it pretty useful I think.

Fishermen only having momentous damage on a few models pretty much determines their playstyle and the mentioned Butchers for example IMO can't compete when it comes to ball-handling or getting back the ball again. Corsair opens up the take-out game a little, but that's it for Fishermen.

3 hours ago, Falkman said:

I am of the opposite opinion, I feel like he replaces Sakana1 in almost every lineup.

He has a great playbook, interesting plays, very good access to damage which is something Fish is missing outside of Corsair himself, Bag of coffers is amazing.

Interesting. I often used oSakana as a striker - this version isn't a striker. Yes, he's got 3/8 KICK and 6/8 MOV, but he has no native way to increase his speed. For vSakana to increase his speed, he must actually strike (different kind of strike) an opponent, and hit reasonably high on his book (though Bag of Coffers will help with that if it's required), as opposed to oSakana who either just needs to be in the right position on the field, or spend an INF. Also, the 3 INF cap is a bigger detriment to strikers than one might think, and Bag of Coffers won't alleviate that issue. I'm not saying I have a problem with vSakana - I really like his damage potential, his control aspects, and his use as a back-up goal threat. But he doesn't replace oSakana in every lineup for me. I will miss Weak Point, though. I think his biggest weakness, by far, is his name...

1 minute ago, landstander said:

Also, the 3 INF cap is a bigger detriment to strikers than one might think, and Bag of Coffers won't alleviate that issue.

I'm interested in your reasoning behind this. He'll spend an INF, and then use BoC to get it back, effectively putting him on 4 INF and a free bonus time.

18 minutes ago, ningu said:

I'm interested in your reasoning behind this. He'll spend an INF, and then use BoC to get it back, effectively putting him on 4 INF and a free bonus time.

Ah, yes, I think you're right.

The only downside here is that the misses out on the free Bonus Time until he has spent Influence (if he started full).

It's no more of a downside than not having BoC. You can still pay MP for a bonus time on the first INF

3 hours ago, landstander said:

Ah, yes, I think you're right.

Ah,I thought I'd missed something

4 hours ago, landstander said:

I think his biggest weakness, by far, is his name...

That's the effect of losing the Union in Chains event - getting a vet model of an existing player.

13 hours ago, Henry said:

That's the effect of losing the Union in Chains event - getting a vet model of an existing player.

They could have made a veteran of a model we dont typically use however. Change the word Sakana to Kraken on that card and I would be all over it.

On 6/7/2018 at 12:44 PM, ningu said:

It's no more of a downside than not having BoC. You can still pay MP for a bonus time on the first INF

Ah,I thought I'd missed something

It occurred to me today, listening to a podcast, that you may indeed not be able to use BoC this way. This would take vSakana over his allotment of 3 INF for the turn - is that legal? I know it's legal if he GAINS an INF, but can he be allocated more than 3, regardless of how many he has on him at the time?

19 minutes ago, landstander said:

It occurred to me today, listening to a podcast, that you may indeed not be able to use BoC this way. This would take vSakana over his allotment of 3 INF for the turn - is that legal? I know it's legal if he GAINS an INF, but can he be allocated more than 3, regardless of how many he has on him at the time?

Once you've spent 1, he's now below his max INF, and so can be allocated more.

8 hours ago, ningu said:

Once you've spent 1, he's now below his max INF, and so can be allocated more.

Interesting. I wonder what they were referring to then... Thanks.

Any time you can reach someone within 7" of the ballholder, where it's easier to reach the momBall or the counterattack is less threatening.

Get the ball and a Mom, BoC yourself for a free shot on goal.

2 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

He will be super valuable for retriving the ball from high DEF models / awkward models in cover (Friday within 4" of spigot in cover is a prime example).

We have oSiren since season 1 for that scenario, I was holding outfor some tech to help retrieve balls that had been dropped and killed.

On 6/13/2018 at 12:35 PM, Banjulhu said:

We have oSiren since season 1 for that scenario

While this is true, TAC 5 with Anatomical precision is a lot more reliable than TAC 3. Plus the extra influence that Sakana can use gives him more options for scoring and/or repositioning through additional attacks after retrieving the ball.

Not to mention that you can just play them both together for even more ball threat.

On 6/13/2018 at 6:35 AM, Banjulhu said:

We have oSiren since season 1 for that scenario, I was holding outfor some tech to help retrieve balls that had been dropped and killed.

That's engineers flavor it seems. Fish have answers to it in extreme speed and dodges, as well as lure. 

So I'm going to give vSakana a run out this evening against the Butchers.

So far I'm settled on having him, Greyscales and oSiren as they feel like a strong footballing unit that can spread across the midfield but the rest is up in the air.

Corsair, Tentacles and Gutter feel like the strong scumming unit that could really benefit from Bag of Coffers and Raise the Black Flag, but there is always the worry that the Butchers will just out scrum them.

My other thoughts drop in Shark, Salt and Jac and go all goals all the time whilst Jac sits back and breaks up scrums with his heroic.

30 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

So I'm going to give vSakana a run out this evening against the Butchers.

So far I'm settled on having him, Greyscales and oSiren as they feel like a strong footballing unit that can spread across the midfield but the rest is up in the air.

Corsair, Tentacles and Gutter feel like the strong scumming unit that could really benefit from Bag of Coffers and Raise the Black Flag, but there is always the worry that the Butchers will just out scrum them.

My other thoughts drop in Shark, Salt and Jac and go all goals all the time whilst Jac sits back and breaks up scrums with his heroic.

I played Corsair, Tentacles, Gutter, Hag, Sakana2 and Siren1 vs an Ox team this Sunday and I won 12-7. Sakana provided a goal and helped control Ox with Raise the black flag, which meant I could scrum on my terms and take out Gutter2, Boar and Ox. Sakana also got off a Fancy footwork from a counter-attack, which meant my opponent had to re-think his plan to stop the sudden threat of another goal. My last two points came from my opponent timing himself.

Remember that you can’t put Bag of coffers on Corsair.

Bag of Coffers would be dropped onto Tentacles to help make Blind a lot more efficient.

I'm expecting to be facing off against Fillet so a Corsair 2-2 setup ready to swing to 3-0 would likely do okay, but just Shark feels like the natural counter to most of Butchers' preferred strategies.