Snow

Starting farmers into brewers - second game butchers

Giving my farmers their first run out tomorrow, as a mate wants to practise his brewers into them. Any tips on lineup and tactics - general or brewers specific, for a player who has never so much as placed a harvest marker?! Ta ☺️

Our low (relatively) Defense and lack of armour leads to wrap city on those short Brewer playbooks.  Be careful with your positioning and make the squishy Brewers like Spigot go down quickly if you get a shot at them.  Otherwise be ready for a proper brawl.

Peck will be very useful in this match up.

Cocky for ignoring the first condition; knock down most likely, but fire, poison and bleed can happen too.

When the Cock Crows our only heroic on the team, it removes knocked down and allows for a dodge!

If you have access to all the players then Millstone will be very useful for helping deal with Conditions.

Jackstraw can be fun against the Brewers as he's generally hard to pin down and kill - he won't be doing much fighting for you against Tough Hide, but can help with the football side of things as well as useful crowd outs and making the opponent think twice about leaving his melee zone.

As @Cassaralla has said you can expect a brawl! Farmers excell at this, but so do Brewers. You'll want to make sure that their force multipliers (Spigot, Dirty Knives, Commanding Aura etc) aren't getting used to their potential. Either by killing or pushing the models out the way. Counter Charge from Tater can help stop Brewers getting to where they want to with the extreme lack (but not absence!) of dodges they have.

Thanks for the tips. Seems Tater, Millstone and Peck make most teams, plus Jackstraw. Any preference on captain into Brewers or recommendations for the last squaddie? Is Honour worth taking as a new player, or would you have a different last squaddie you prefer into this matchup? I accidentally have all the toys! 😁

Grange can outscrum the Brewers, when played correctly, and Fallow can be another defense tool along with Tater to keep oncoming Brewer beaters from getting to your important targets.

I'm actually quite conflicted here, as I agree with the above statements, but I'd also think either Harrow (2", Tooled Up against Tough Hide, healing aura for the scrum) or Ploughman (2", Rough Ground against already slow models, good pushing power to control the scrum) can bring something to the table. 

In the end, it's all personal choice. 😉

My own preference would probably be Grange, Peck, Tater, Harrow, Millstone and either Bushel if receiving, or Fallow/Windle (yes, Windle) for a brawl.

Grange, Peck and Millstone can deal with Knocked Down rather well and dish out reliable Harvest Markers.

The repears should be able to do what they do best in this match up, especially with Tooled Up and possibly Honest Labour. Though keep in mind the opponent will likely be doing the same thing.

We didn't end up finishing the game, as it was our second of the evening and played off the clock with new teams

Kicked with Grange, Peck, Tater, Millstone, Jackstraw and Fallow

Got magical Xmas land opening as he over extended Tapper, allowing me to charge him with Tater for the double push toward my team. Engaged with Grange for honest labour, then deleted him with 5 inf, tac 8 Fallow. Could have hostaged him, but got carried away

The rest of the game was tougher. I over extended Grange to protect Tater, so he was too far away to get all the knock down protection. Brewers got the takeout on Grange turn 3, having got the Friday goal turn 2. 

We ended before turn 4, but I had guaranteed initiative and  Tapper hostaged on 1 box, with Grange able to come back into the scrum. Could've been anyone's game really

Grange spent enough time on the ground to mitigate honest labour. Next time I'm thinking of taking Harrow for tooled up. Particularly against all that tough hide. Obviously need to be more defensive in Grange's positioning too

Would drop Jackstraw who can hold the ball, but I don't see his goal threat, unless I'm missing something? Maybe hold the ball with Peck and try a cheeky chicken goal to close the game?

Which piece would you guys kick with in this lineup?

Couldnt tell from the wording but it sounded like you didn't add honest labours buff is grange was KD'd. This is not correct as the ability states melee zone and even though grange is KD and is not engaging they are still inside his melee zone and the buff applies. Just thought I would let you know.

Thanks, I thought he didn't have melee zone when KD'd?

8 hours ago, Snow said:

Thanks, I thought he didn't have melee zone when KD'd?

You always have a melee zone, but when you are KD'd, you can't engage enemy models

15 hours ago, ningu said:

You always have a melee zone, but when you are KD'd, you can't engage enemy models

Cheers - good to know!

Playing into butchers tomorrow now. He used Fillet in our last game when I ran Engineers, but he may use Ox - either way, at least there's less KD to think about!

Our staple players of Millstone and Tater will probably do most of the heavy lifting (barring the captain) in this matchup.

Millstone (and Peck) are key in "ignoring" the Bleed condition, Millstone can also provide some goal keeper style assistance.

Tater's counter charge is massive against Butchers who really don't like Counter Attacks - let alone Counter Charges. Farmers have access to a lot of pushes (not so much easy double pushes though) which can ruin a Butchers day if they want to keep hitting you.

Thresher can and will delete any Butcher player he wants pretty much, but can end up overextended and farmed for Momentum and then VP. Try to take the Butchers on on your terms - so in your half of the board and in a good ol' brawl. Getting the ball off them is very useful to prevent them dodging into combat or out, thus avoiding any Counter Charges. Or just denying them any goals obviously.

The Grange prison is super rough for Butchers. Grange, Peck, Tater, Fallow, Harrow & Jackstraw is what I’d play here. I don’t think Millstones threat extension is important as you want to play a defensive game. Harrows healing aura will always get work done in the match up and Tooled up is never bad.

Force them to play around counter charge, force them to play into Between a rock and a hard place. Keep as many people KD & in Honest Labour as possible.

Unfortunately we didn't get to play last night in the end - but good tips for next time, thanks!

Interested to hear about farmers goal scoring tech, or are we all just literally going 6-0, planting our opponents in the dirt?!

When I'm playing I don't exactly go into the game thinking "I will score at least one goal" it's more of an oppurtunistic thing usually.

If receiving, Bushel can score from the starting line as long as she has some momentum to start with and 4 INF. Generally I'd pick up the ball with Jackstraw and place some Harvest markers at the same time to allow Tater to Counter Charge as soon as possible. Pass the ball around a bit and get into position for the next turn. Last activation, or close to it, would be Bushel. Eat a Harvest Marker for re-roll kicks. Passing to Grange (ideally, for the For the Family trait) for a dodge 4", get him to pass back and dodge 4" again, jog towards the goal and pop it in for a goal.

Jackstraw allows for less linear and predictable goals, and can be a good player to hide the ball with since he has some absurd movement shenanigans.

Thresher and Tater can threaten goals with decent speed and kick threats - nothing out of the ordinary though.

I will typically only go for a goal to get 8 / win points if my opponent is below 6 points, if on 6 it depends if I’m going to win the initiative. It’s much more of a oppurtnistic thing, normally building Thresher / Tater up for a 6VP activation

On 6/12/2018 at 7:59 AM, ForestRambo said:

The Grange prison is super rough for Butchers. Grange, Peck, Tater, Fallow, Harrow & Jackstraw is what I’d play here. I don’t think Millstones threat extension is important as you want to play a defensive game. Harrows healing aura will always get work done in the match up and Tooled up is never bad.

Force them to play around counter charge, force them to play into Between a rock and a hard place. Keep as many people KD & in Honest Labour as possible.

What about millstone to protect from bleed?

1 hour ago, ForestRambo said:

I don't think it's relavent. Those players that Blled (Filet, Boiler or Meathook) either do it everyone within 3" or on every hit, so it doesn't seem relavent.

So you figure you're just gunna take it anyways? So heal it with momentum gained from combat?

Well Meathook & Boiler apply bleed on any damage result, so if Millstone takes it the chances are the next 1-3 attacks will just re-apply it. If Millstone takes a bleed from a Blood Rain from Filet, again the chances are Filet will just hit a Blood Rain again.

Both Fillet and Meathook have Smell Blood which adds +2" to charge against someone with Bleed, Millstone can help against that with her Take One for the Team aura but it's not something that can totally count on. You'll need to be sensible when to absorb conditions with Millstone since as @ForestRambo says they can very easily reapply it - then you have 2 people with Bleed instead of 1!

You'll likely get more mileage out of Harrow's Rapid Growth trait for dealing with the Bleed condition damage - though Butchers do use Bleed for other benefits, not just the 3 damage later on.

Tater and/or Fallow are useful here. Tater with his Counter Charges and Charmed [Female] against a team that has a lot of females is great. Fallow can also prevent the Butchers from hitting the people they want to and she can blenderise them in return if set up right.