Sign in to follow this  
SilverNines

Getting value from oKatalyst

Vet Katalyst is straightforward to see what to do with him (getting things set up to allow it is the challenge), charge in against an enemy suffering conditions and do a reliable 12 damage and trigger the witness me on the way to a take out.

Regular Kat just doesn't seem that strong, there's an easy to hit KD on there but even with 4 influence there's not much reliable damage, needing more than 4 hits to start doing anything above 2 damage per hit and even on 3 hits the 2 damage is non-momentous.  So, with 4 influence there's a reasonably reliable 8 damage with some momentum generated, that doesn't seem a great return.

What is it I should be doing to improve his output?

He was great in scrums before the Harry nerf, but at this point every time I choose him he is just a liability. There are so much 2 inch characters with low KD in the game now, that he becomes quite useless when he gets KD-d by any of them from their reach. I might see reason to bring him in a 3 goal oriented Midas team, since his fire spreading ability is quite good if he can charge in, and his KD is useful aswell. That team would want to win quite fast, so oKat probably wouldn't spend half the game lying on the pitch, and making himself useless by removing conditions. My best advice would be to leave him as your last character choice, and if the enemy team doesn't counter him hard, you can try and ply him. Otherwise just pick the veteran version, you will surely have conditions in your team to make him work.

That said, don't take my words granted, as far as I know everyone has a preferred Katalyst, it just depends on playstyle :).

oKat is an interesting model. Don’t forget that while he’s burning he has a Tac if 8, so you’re looking at 12 on the charge - pick your targets well and you should be able to hit the External combustion pretty reliably.

Failing that, you can use his KDs and pushes to clear the path for Midas and Vitriol. He’s also an amazing setup piece for Decimate. Kat knocks them down and roughs them up and Decimate finishes them off.

Hitting external combustion even on a 3+ and 1 opponent is less than 50% even with 8 dice so it's not really reliable and opponents with stats like that probably have tough hide or enough health that 4 lots of 3 damage isn't that scary.

The KD is useful but still not seeing how he should be used.  Are there matches on youtube that demonstrate his usefulness?  I've seen some but they are all pre-errata.

I basically use him to clear people off vitriol (you can also set most of them on fire if they're crowding around her) and grant her a 2" dodge. As mentioned above, he works nicely with Decimate lurking to finish off the leftovers.