Wolfchild

Poor showing on YouTube. Are Brewers that bad?

Trying to get myself back into GuildBall, I’ve been refreshing by watching game reports/videos on YouTube and noticed a couple of things:

- There aren’t many Brewers games on there compared to many other guilds.

- The Brewers lose almost all the games shown.

So I have to ask:

- Are Brewers a bottom tier team?

- Can they be played and expect to win?

- Which Guilds are our best match ups?

It seems just about every other team has longer threat ranges for both attacks and goals.

Our lack of dodges reduces janky manoeuvres for reaching goal threats.

We are out manoeuvred by all the faster teams, many also have ‘where’d they go’, ‘acrobatic’ etc to escape our grasp.

Small 4” aura abilities that rely on our team being close, yet making goal threats against us easier.

Heavy reliance on Heroic abilities when we are low on Influence and often Momentum.

Only generating momentum in melee.

Have the Brewers been left behind (being one of the original few)?

With vetcimate?

Why are they absent/failing online?

Is it perhaps an amazing player managing to get results out of a poorer team?

Last 3 major events brewers made 3rd place twice, 2nd once and 1st once, and that’s 2 finals back to back with brewers present. They are on a roll since the release of Decimate 

Veteran Decimate definitely strengthens the Brewers. In the hands of a skilled player all guilds can perform well... in my hands all guilds can, and probably will, be crushed miserably.

Win or Lose... we take the booze! Laughs and Learning with old friends, new friends, and friends we've yet to play. :P 

Love your attitude @Malritch. I wish I could do the same, I don’t have that kind of self confidence in anything, never mind a new game.

Im finding the learning curve ridiculously steep tbh. It’s not just about learning your own team, it’s needing to learn your own team AND all the other teams, their players, their tactics n tricks.

If u play regularly and have played since the start, you’re only learning lil bits as u go along, adding to your encyclopaedic knowledge of the game. As a noob, there’s just too much to take in. I doubt Steamforged realise just how much of a burden that is on newer players, or like myself, folk returning after a year or more hiatus.

The fact that in GuildBall we dynamically select a team on the spot, rather than preselected is so strange and adds yet another layer of challenge. With only 7 players (tho I’ve just picked up Vetcimate, she’s not assembled), I can’t even make a roster of 10 and wouldn’t want to yet.

Then we add in the Gameplay cards (thankfully simpler than Plot cards) for another layer of complexity.

Im far from stupid, with 2 degrees and a bunch of other qualifications, loads of ‘life experience’, common sense and 3 decades of war / board gaming experience. But Guild Ball is one of the biggest if not THE biggest gaming challenge I’ve ever faced. 

So far I’ve set myself the mission to play thru 10 games and see if I can spot a light on the horizon. Without any noobs around, I fully expect (as you have stated of your own experienced hand) that I’ll be annihilated by all-comers. All I can hope for is 1 or 2 take outs. If I score a goal without receiving I’ll be amazed, but even then I read that Brewers are best to ‘kill the ball’ until they just need the goal to win.

It’s a tough intro road, I came back to regular play after barely any the previous few years and man is it a harsh wake up call!

I faced Brewers with my morticians every week for a few months, and like you kept to a fairly limited list (still working on painting a whole tournament 10 for them). It’s tough at first, but each game I learned a lot and found that looking at what I achieved outside of the VP levels was useful. This game I managed to set up a great dilemma for my opponent, that game I shut down a key model at the right time, and so on. 

Eventually I even managed to scrape a win, which was great! And I still don’t know half of what the morticians do, or even the brewers for that matter :P

The biggest help for me was an opponent that wouldn’t go easy on me, but equally wouldn’t stomp me without offering advice or reminding me of key things. Including “do you really want to do that? What will it achieve for you?” - best advice ever, and led to me running away and winning the game :D

If you get a few good opponents, stick with it, and don’t change too many variables at once, you’ll get to grips with the puzzle in the end. The brewers may not be the most powerful guild, but they’re pretty capable of messing people up in my experience!

Try not to bite off too much at once. Each game, focus on getting the most out of one or two of your players. When you feel comfortable with that player, move on to the next.

Currently I’m trying to do that with oGutter in my Union. Everyone raves about her but I just can’t get her to work for me... Yet.

On 6/3/2018 at 1:07 AM, Wolfchild said:

So I have to ask:

- Are Brewers a bottom tier team?

- Can they be played and expect to win?

Statistics of tournament GB games played from 18th May. So no, they are not bottom tier and yes, they can be played and expected to win. You arrived just at the right moment, during Magical Christmas time. :)

guild_stat.jpg

14 minutes ago, Csonti said:

Statistics of tournament GB games played from 18th May. So no, they are not bottom tier and yes, they can be played and expected to win. You arrived just at the right moment, during Magical Christmas time. :)

guild_stat.jpg

Union are on top, but that's a little misleading because that guild is so variable. How many were laying an all beaty Rage team? A Brisket/Mist scoring malestrom?

16 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

Union are on top, but that's a little misleading because that guild is so variable. How many were laying an all beaty Rage team? A Brisket/Mist scoring malestrom?

I think this would lead us to off-topic fields but you can dig the whole database on Longshanks for answers to this kind of questions.

Duly noted, will have to see what I can do about that.

Can’t speak for other YouTube channels but I do keep a running tally of guild representation in an effort to keep things as even as possible. Whilst my first few videos featured Brewers I guess that was nearly a year ago and they’re probably due a return. 

Eapecally as I’ve been lucky enormously they to have my Beardminis Brewers painted for me by the very talent Dom Symes.

I’m reading that Brewers are really strong since vetDecimate appeared.

It sounds like we’re using a crutch. I hope season4 brings the rest of the team in line n perhaps her down a peg, to balance this.

On 6/3/2018 at 12:07 AM, Wolfchild said:

Small 4” aura abilities that rely on our team being close

I started off with Brewers and this is reliance on buff auras is, I think, why I was terrible with them. I will certainly be revisiting them now that I understand the game so much better. When I started, I wanted to run up and punch people as soon as it was possible to do so - basically over extend to do a few points of damage. I think figuring out how to keep the pack together to make the team much more than the sum of its parts is key and requires discipline. As soon as you spread out I think you are fighting an uphill battle.

Also think about how to hide the ball. You can leave a clear route to goal open if conceding means you can take out the scorer, gain possession of the ball and hide it on Friday (with +1 DEF from Spigot's aura and Tough skin from Hooper it will be pretty safe), forcing your opponent to move more models dangerously close to the brewers' meat grinder.

Definitely get vDecimate on the pitch. She's so scary. I've played against her once with Midas Alchemists. Pretty much managed to avoid her for the whole game, but her threat was really limiting where I was prepared to put models (e.g. never placing anyone within 8" of a pitch edge ever). While I managed to limit her takeout threat, she just punted in the winning goal anyway. She can do everything, very flexible and perhaps less reliant on the rest of the team to get work done.