Sign in to follow this  
DanB

Struggling with vKat

Hi all.

I'm hoping to get some advice on using vKat, as I'm finding him more of a liability than an asset (I have only played about 3 games with him, using the Curkov smoke list or a close variation of it).

I'm really struggling to get Witness Me! off. My opponents seem to be very savvy as to his threat, and through a combination of my (presumably bad) positioning and their cunning, they always seem to be able to engage me such that vKat's charge is blocked out by my models (or those damn spider's nests!) - I'm trying to keep him back and not expose him early, but he ends up with a lot of blind spots. After his 3rd activation of stomping around not doing much, he's lost 12 HP and is becoming a soft takeout target. I'm getting much more work done and VPs out of Decimate (albeit with a much higher INF cost).

I also feel like the setup is quite hard to achieve. Assuming nobody is going to put a conditioned target in vKat's threat range (unless I get a cheeky blindside with Midfield General - love that game plan so much!), I need to put conditions on the target and push it into range. For that I need Mercury in range to charge for the double push and another 2 INF to light them up. Or I run Harry, who can probably pull off that setup for 2-3 INF, but then I lose Decimate, who I feel I really need for momentous damage. Maybe A&G could cover both bases with a KD >> using Thuggery?

I know my inexperience is certainly the main factor here, but I can't help but feel vKat is a bit of a one trick pony and everybody knows how to counter his threat. Can anyone give me some pointers?

For now I'm thinking of benching vKat for now and trying a 2-2 Smoke list, maybe Smoke/Naja/oKat/Decimate/Vitriol/Calculus.

In my experience playing against Alchemists, vKat doesn’t do a lot for the first couple of turns. He doesn’t get allocated any Inf so he just jogs up the pitch unless an opportunity for a Furious charge presents itself.

vKat has a 10” threat range when he charges so if you practice a bit with keeping people out of his way you should be ok - remember that you don’t have to be in base contact so you can end your charges behind your own models, so long as you’re within vKat’s 2” melee.

You’ll likely get lots of potential targets for Witness Me! in the turn you use Smoke’s legendary play, as Chemicals Frenzy combined with Intensify can really start to pile on the damage.

The team you’re suggesting at the end of your post is pretty good.

(I’ve heard of the Curkov Smoke list but not what’s in it. Is it different to the Smoke teams that everyone else in the world uses?)

19 hours ago, Starlight said:

(I’ve heard of the Curkov Smoke list but not what’s in it. Is it different to the Smoke teams that everyone else in the world uses?)

I think it's the "standard" Smoke list - My understanding of what the Curkov list is: Smoke, Flask, Merc, Calc, vKat, Decimate. Kill the ball, pile on conditions, get a Witness Me!, 2 x take out using Smoke's Legendary with decimate backing up for more Damage, then a Smoke goal for the game

I usually use Naja instead of Flask - while flask give the free jump point, I always end up with him in the wrong place and exploding in my face. Naja gives an easy bonus crowd out or a decent place to hide the ball when Smoke is getting closed down.

One tip (it doesn't help with the first kill) is that after you got a witness me, if you play smart the second one is actually easyer. When vKat comes back, he can be back in the game surprisingly fast. He jogs in 5 inch, there are 2 initiative cards that give him +2 inch, and his threat is 10. So if you use the previous turn to set up 1 or 2 enemies, they usually cant't hide. Your job is just to make sure you farm momentum to possibly start, and move the enemies into position. One thing that you MUST watch out for, is vKat not to get tied up by a 2 inch enemy. If you move him into a battle, be sure, that he can get the takeout (assuming 12 damage usually works, but he will often deal more), or it is late in the turn and you can get it right at the beginning of the next turn.

He is a one trick pony but it's such a good trick he's worth preserving with

Screening him with other players helps a bit, especially calc or merc as their Auras are free condition applys on non-2" melee until your ready to unleash him is how I play it

Taking the odd parting blow isn't the end of the world if it opens a charge lane

Just durdle him about till a good opportunity to get a Witness me take out presents itself, remember he can use MOM to heal himself if needed but that's kind of situational, even more so with the plan cards

On 6/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, Dandyman said:

Screening him with other players helps a bit, especially calc or merc as their Auras are free condition applys on non-2" melee until your ready to unleash him is how I play it

Nice. I always forget about their condition auras, will have to try this.

On 6/2/2018 at 1:10 PM, Starlight said:

The team you’re suggesting at the end of your post is pretty good.

I played Smoke/Naja/Vitriol/Decimate/oKat/Compound vs Pin Vice/Mother/Salvo/vVelocity/Colossus/Hoist last night. Had loads of fun with it.