Sign in to follow this  
Malritch

Tournament? Oh... I'm not ready for that!

"Tournament? Oh... I'm not ready for that! I can’t to go to that "XYZ" tournament until I’m better."

I hear it quite often, perhaps you do as well. Newcomers don't think they should come to local ones, Locals don't think they should go to Regional ones, or National ones... or whatever.

(Opinion)

I am unconvinced....I call Bull&*$#. You can…and you should. Get out of the basement…and come hang with us!

Plain and simple, you don’t get better unless you challenge yourself and get playing others… even if they kick the crap out of you. You will learn things if you are paying attention and, if you approach it correctly, you will laugh and make a pile of new friends. Isn’t this sort of the point? To enjoy yourself socially?

I’ve been playing outside of my kitchen table for roughly 9 months now … was nervous as can be to begin… but threw caution to the wind…and you know what? No one has laughed at my mistakes or obvious lack of experience. I have been shut out and shut down but never, pardon my language, shit on. Not once. Not even a little bit. If you have… then that guy/gal… doesn’t even deserve to be playing this great game of Guild Ball with the rest of us. In my limited experience I think it is definitely the FEAR of possibly coming across one of “those” players that holds players back from joining us on the tournament tables.

SO…on that note…

Open arms, warmth, and creating a positive personal experience for the player across the table from you, in my opinion, should be your number one priority any time you get to the table to play. Yes, even if they are a salty, crusty, you-know-what. Don't go down to their level.

Why?

Simple. It’s going to grow the game and guarantee you have people to play with tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that.

“Hey there you Old, Grey Haired, One-Legged, Canadian, preachy Pundit… I’m here to win at all costs!”

Well good for you! Chances are nobody is going to enjoy playing with you, or being in your company. Hold the ego in check. Let other people tell you how great you are… and they most likely will do just that if you truly are an amazing player… a veritable gift from the Guild Ball Gods. Narcissism really has no place here, or anywhere, it just makes you look like a jackass to the rest of us.

Hardest challenge as a Pundit? Inspiring the players to have the confidence in themselves to compete and have fun doing it.

Respect yourself. Respect your opponent. Respect the game.

I am lucky enough to be off on holiday for the next couple of weeks… not sure how much I will be able to check on things… until then… GAME ON!

Well said. I've played in and run many tournaments for many games and it is always my fear of meeting one of "those players" that makes me anxious the night before. 

I wanted to play more games, do I through caution to the wind and went to my first tournament after playing the game for a couple of months. I placed last, but still had a lot of fun there. The GB crowd are a great lot, even those on the top tables will help you out whilst crushing you at the same time

I played half a dozen games back in early season 2 but then the models went away until January this year. Started a local club and been to 2 release events (with a 3rd booked in).

Was unsure about attending a tourney as my daughter has picked up the game with me (she's 9 for reference) and it was her idea to go to a tourney. So we're all booked in for an event in July and she's really looking forward to it.

Essentially if a nine year old wants in then clearly the rest of us should follow her example!

3 minutes ago, Scapegoat_Stephen said:

I played half a dozen games back in early season 2 but then the models went away until January this year. Started a local club and been to 2 release events (with a 3rd booked in).

Was unsure about attending a tourney as my daughter has picked up the game with me (she's 9 for reference) and it was her idea to go to a tourney. So we're all booked in for an event in July and she's really looking forward to it.

Essentially if a nine year old wants in then clearly the rest of us should follow her example!

Yeah my daughter started playing X-Wing tournaments with us at the age of 9. She lost most of the time but always made it through the events and was happy to be there. She wants to play GB now too. Shes 11 now. 

Great write up, Malritch.  I always know these things in the back of my head, but it’s getting them to the front to push me forward into action that can be the hard part.  Stuff like this helps push folks in the right direction.

On another note, your comments are also a reminder to those of us (myself included) who can get in a funky mentality of competitiveness that is unhealthy.  Even though I know somewhere in my brain that it’s much better to take it easy and have a good time with it, I sometimes take myself too seriously.  I never end up having fun when I get like that.

So, thank you for the great reminder, sir!

I'm just too chill for all that. I have no way of winning the thing, and if I keep coming dead last people will thing I'm doing it on purpose for the sweet Bogey Prize loot. 

The social side is great though. 

That said, I would absolutely recommend people go to at least one. I don't enjoy competitive play, but I always walk away having learned something. 

And playing 3 games on the clock is better than having a 4 hour game end at 8-8 because you have to go home because the store is closing.

I signed up for a Big League series before I got my Kick Off box.

So my first 5 games were Big Leauge losses.

Then a 4 game tournament in which I finally managed to get my first two wins, just had rack up a couple of more losses first.

With work and family taking up quite a lot of time I get most of my games in our local tournaments, and lack of time (and money) is the only reason I don't sign up for those cool big tournaments. 

So am I ready for the major tournaments?
Hell yes!

Am I going to win them?
Hell no! But I think I should be able to win a couple of games. And I'll probably learn a lot and have tons of fun.

So am I going to WTC?
I sure am, and at the moment I'm actually the best ranked player on my team (team 2) according to Longshank. And the other two guys following just behind me on the norwegian ranking.

19 hours ago, Toqtamish said:

Yeah my daughter started playing X-Wing tournaments with us at the age of 9. She lost most of the time but always made it through the events and was happy to be there. She wants to play GB now too. Shes 11 now. 

Am I going to have to face off against my little pony proxy mascots?:wacko:

1 hour ago, Redtiger7 said:

I don't think you will be permitted to play your proxy figures. In general TO's don't allow them.

Punctuation, including inverted commas, is a thing.:rolleyes:

And I am convinced her dad will have done a good paint job on her figures.:)

On 31/05/2018 at 8:17 PM, Malritch said:

@Scapegoat_Stephen and @Toqtamish ...there is some fine parenting! :P Start them young! We had a 10 & 8 year old join us in an escalation league that just wrapped up... they learned a lot, and taught a few of us old timers how to measure properly. (True Story)

She went for the Butchers Guild too so a reasonable first guild to learn with. She's enjoying rocking the mostly female Butchers team of Fillet, Princess, Meathook, Vet Gutter, either Briskets and Boiler.

She's played a bunch of casual games as well as attended the Farmers2 and Ratcatchers release events. We're booked in for the Falconers event (her idea for fathers day) and a 16 player event in July.

It's helps that not only do I play but my father-in-law, brother-in-law and his partner also play. Our locals are also super supportive of her playing and you can hear the fun they have when playing with her at the events so far. No she doesn't win a lot as some of the deeper strategies escape her but its the memories. She still talks about the Farmers release event where she did beat me with Princess having Fallows bonus TAC rule dealing 10 damage to Hammer on a crazy charge, gang-up situation and took him out. Turns out with +5 TAC, a charge, 3 gang ups and in Ox Legendary Princess can half kill Hammer in one attack :P

On 5/31/2018 at 5:53 PM, Malritch said:

"Tournament? Oh... I'm not ready for that! I can’t to go to that "XYZ" tournament until I’m better."

Yeah, I'm guilty of that.

For me it's speed. Even if a game is going my way, I am 100% sure I will clock out and lose that way every time. But with that attitude I won't get faster will I?

I need to stop making excuses start practicing with a clock, tournaments or otherwise.

Thanks for the motivating post!

On 02/06/2018 at 9:22 AM, DanB said:

Yeah, I'm guilty of that.

For me it's speed. Even if a game is going my way, I am 100% sure I will clock out and lose that way every time. But with that attitude I won't get faster will I?

I need to stop making excuses start practicing with a clock, tournaments or otherwise.

Thanks for the motivating post!

For me it’s social anxiety and a bit of agoraphobia. 

Of course I fear losing and I’m slow at making any decisions, so I’d definitely clock out if I attempted a timed game.

Id love to really engage more fully in this community as it seems the friendliest I’ve come across anywhere...... but busy, sweaty rooms full of strange faces, timed decision making and making clear my failings in evident ineptitude and ‘those’ scorelines is a sure way to push me into an anxiety attack.

The tournament scene, no matter how welcoming isn’t for everyone unfortunately. I’m struggling just to go to my local club to play across from guys I’ve never met before (or maybe once or twice). Sweating just writing this!

Hopefully I can get past all this n join the world eventually 

@Wolfchild ease yourself into it, there's no need to rush. Nothing wrong with keeping to casual games in comfortable settings, it's about having fun after all.

I'm curious about tournaments because I want to play more games, not because I necessarily expect it to be more fun than playing casually!

@Wolfchild I am sure you will get past all that. The real win for you, I think, regardless of the actual outcome of any game, is going to be when you are more at ease with those guys who you hardly know now. A few games with them and they aren't strangers anymore... just friends you haven't really met yet. Like @DanB said...ease yourself into it...small steps help broaden the comfort zone... small tourney at the local hang out once you've integrated yourself my not be that far away!

One of our local pundits has come up with two ideas here to make tournaments more accessible:

1. Development Tourney. Basically everyone under our top 8 players on longshanks (which was a clear gap) can enter, and make it welcome to new players to playing on clock, playing 3 round tournaments etc

2. Split tourneys. As above, but splitting into pods of top/developing players in tournaments to pair people of a similar experience

On 6/1/2018 at 11:43 AM, Redtiger7 said:

No and please don't gender stereotype my children. Thanks. 

On 6/3/2018 at 5:14 PM, Wolfchild said:

For me it’s social anxiety and a bit of agoraphobia. 

Of course I fear losing and I’m slow at making any decisions, so I’d definitely clock out if I attempted a timed game.

Id love to really engage more fully in this community as it seems the friendliest I’ve come across anywhere...... but busy, sweaty rooms full of strange faces, timed decision making and making clear my failings in evident ineptitude and ‘those’ scorelines is a sure way to push me into an anxiety attack.

The tournament scene, no matter how welcoming isn’t for everyone unfortunately. I’m struggling just to go to my local club to play across from guys I’ve never met before (or maybe once or twice). Sweating just writing this!

Hopefully I can get past all this n join the world eventually 

Actually clock wasn't that bad at all. In all 5 of my rounds on the weekend I never once clocked out and only one game went to time for the round and dice down. The mirror match of Rats vs Rats and Matt vs Mat. 

My first ever guild ball game was at a tournament and I even managed to win it! Then lost the next 4 on the day. But every one I played was friendly and really helpful. And I never felt any negativity for being a noob. My local pundit happened to be at the same tournament and helped with some questions I had before the tournament started.

I'm not the most confident of people, especially when on my own surrounded by strangers. But I use tournaments (Both Guild Ball and X-wing) to help me deal with and overcome that. Plus it's the only way I get regular games in!

I'd encourage everyone to try a tournament at least once, I've enjoyed everyone I've been to so far!

Guildballs best strength is probably just how good it’s community is. Even at the top levels of play, people are very genuine and nice to play. I look forward to every single GB event I attend, would recommend it to anyone.

I've got a bit of social anxiety myself, and I've found that Guild Ball events are a great way to ease into reducing that.  Having the brain-engaging activity of the game gives you something external to focus your attention on, the people are predominantly very friendly, and you've got a clear hobby in common that you can both be excited to talk about.  It's a great environment to take some careful steps in.