Sign in to follow this  
Jotnebane

Masons vs Falconers

We had a small tournament in Oslo, Norway this weekend  and we had Steve from SFG over and he brought Falconers with him.
After succesfully ignoring Thresher and his Farmers while scoring to secure a victory in the first game I got a game against the Falconers in round 2.

Ikaros kicked for the Falconers and I managed to retrieve the ball with Flint and pass it back to my goal line.
Then I get Brick and Marbles up to create a counter charge bubble as far forward as possible.
With the Falconers having only 6" ranged plays they don't move into the CC bubble so they lay down a couple of Harrier AOEs in front of my lines to discourage me from going there.

Frelsi can be dodged up into Brick and Marbles with Hack Back, but if you position right you'll still have plenty of room to send Hammer up into their lines later.

I then passed to Hammer to doge him forward and as my last activation the first turn I charged Rundaas (I think) with Iron Fist and got my first take out. Tough hide and 18 boxes meant he did not get to badly hurt by Devana and could continue pummeling falconers on the next turn. He did loose the ball, but as he's pretty good at getting it back I got another takeout and then knocked down a few Falconers before scoring and using Run the length to dodge into cover next to the Falconer goal post.

The Falconers can't ignore Hammer and go after the softer targets and so Devana pop her legendary and  while they finish off Hammer, Mallet and Lucky get into their line and get another takeout.

Hammer then returns with Get Back In There and just manages to charge a wounded Ikaros that's just escaped from the scrum and I get my 4th takeout to win the game.

So against Falconers I think Hammer with the double counter charge bubble from Marbles and Brick is the way to go. They do have good ways of scoring so I see no reason to go for a goal oriented team, while I'm sure Honour would do just fine, there is no reason to give them the ball if you don't have to.

While Ikaros is a good striker the lack of a buyable dodge makes it harder for him to get into the CC bubble or out of engagement, especially against 2" models. Airmail seems dangerous if he's all on his own out on the flank, but as it's not a pass he can't dodge out of engagement when receiving the ball that way.

So when you get your first games against the Falconers, just smile and show them just how fragile they are.

Thanks for the batrep - this is more or less what I expected. The Falconers roster has a pile easy kill targets and no defensive tech for Hammer to worry about. His counterattack is great against most of their team, and unless Devana is only attacking from range (which, to be fair, seems like a trap that a lot of people will fall into) then she's forced to use a Death From Above attack early to reach the KD. Double CC makes it hard to reliably trigger their plays via attacks, and I am not at all worried about a Falconers team spending 2 INF to hard cast Harriers.

I like your lineup, though I would personally be finding room for Tower to further abuse their low health pools. His heroic also seems pretty good when Minerva is practically an autoinclude and I'd expect most Falconers lists to be taking vHearne to support Devana. I'm thinking something like Hammer Marbles Brick Tower Mallet and either Flint or Lucky depending on how I'm feeling.

I thought about including Tower, but decided that their low health meant that Iron fist would provide more than enough damage and I brought in Flint for some ball threat on the flank where he put Ikaros. Lucky was handy as there were a few conditions that needed to be cleared during the game.

Steve only brought the Falconers box so no crossover models, but after the game he said that if he had had them he would have liked to have Egret for a more goal oriented team and her ranged play is also 8" so it can benefit from the Harrier AOEs without risking a counter charge.

Tooled Up isn't necessary with how small their HP pools, so I can definitely see leaving Tower at home. I personally think that basically no guild has such low HP that +2 DMG is overkill, but that could be a personal preference. It's not like Flint is bad by any means.

Egret seems alright, the reasoning is solid, though I'm not too worried about her damage even with Harrier. She might warrant the inclusion of Lucky to handle the poison though.