Sign in to follow this  
malladin.ben

Let's start taking tactics

5 hours ago, m.jäger said:

hello ppl. is ikaros and "auto include"? i so hate the model and never ever dont want to play him. what would you use instead? i was thinking of all the other box models with VHearne. 

Use the Rookie version I did, so much better.

On 11/5/2018 at 11:57 AM, digitalgenepool said:

Usually Frelsi is used just for assisting but I've had some instances where she's scored on a late activation with Devana dodge and Air Mail. If I'm facing a more footbally/fragile team, I'll mix in Rundaas in for one of the archers. 

Just to check... you mean over 2 activations?  because Frelsi can't shoot after an Air Mail character play, right?

So my local meta is finally booting up pretty quickly.. we had an 8 man tournament a few weeks ago, got to go to a team tournament last weekend, and then are starting a league with atleast 10 folks this weekend... I'm typically a Brewers, Butchers, or Blacksmith player, but for the League, picked up and started painting Falconers... 

I'm too very curious about the 'not just load up Devana and make her do all the work' ideas.. but I'm looking at it more as something you can switch between during the game... so Turn 1, depending on who is kicking off and which team you are playing into... you may threaten the death by a thousand Harriers and then in turn 2 when they expect you to bring the pain, change it up and try to get 2 goals, so you can finish the game at the top of turn 3 with a take out.. or something... 

But I'm also wondering if I just shouldn't focus on Devana's set up until I figure that out and save the changing it up and feint maneuvers till I'm more comforable with just using the Falconers!  lol...

I had a close game yesterday vs Ratcatchers... Hearne missed the game winning goal and then my opponent was able to eventually get this final goal to win 12-8... I think I let my team get too spread out and between Ikaros failing some crucial dice rolls, Hearne missing the goal, and Egret only getting 1 attack that rolled a 3+... probably should have felt like I was more in control.  That said, I feel like Ratcatchers are tough as their is so much movement and ball pressure with them (due to Piper and Bonesaw) that maybe vs them I should just go all scrum and Devana until I've got 8 VP and try to kill the ball instead of letting them play football... (also wasn't planning on going into Rats, so really hadn't thought out that plan very well).  Looking forward to more feedback and games.  - Josh

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, jahatch28 said:

Just to check... you mean over 2 activations?  because Frelsi can't shoot after an Air Mail character play, right?

Yes. Over two activations. If I know I can score that turn with a late Devana activation, I'll give Frelsi 1 inf and activate her last for the goal. I love the utility of Devana and try to keep her at a mid to late activation if possible. 

I had a decent outing with Devana, Frelsi, Minerva, Ikaros, Egret, and Vet Hearne into Blacksmiths - Capt Farris, Cinder (not vet), Anvil, Sledge, Ferrite, and Iron... I was able to trap Ferrite & Anvil in a Harrier and between Eye Spy, 2 gang ups including Frelsi with Assist, KD, Snared, and Harriers on Anvil, Devana was able to chew through his HP surprisingly quickly (after her Legendary and some condition damage from Poison from Egret)... 

I was really enjoying the mobility of Egret when firing at Def 2 and Def 3 models... 

Ikaros really didn't do much, but the threat of him scoring was there.. I deployed with Devana too far away from him to pass to him at the end of Turn 1 (not Air Mail, actual pass) that would have let him make a goal run over a Harrier... but alas...

Then things went south as Hearne missed a 3 shot goal... and the following turn Devana also missed a 3 shot goal after charging into Ferrite for Momentum, hitting the KD on the charge to avoid any Tackles, and then just also couldn't roll a 4+ on 3 dice.. lol....

So, sadly, I did lose 12-4... but missing 2 goals does always mess with your win chances when your opponent doesn't! lol... 

In fact, the hardest part of this game was that Devana kept ending up with the ball due to weird scatters... so I was torn between using her for offense and try to reposition the ball or make a goal run with her... so gotta work on that... but I did enjoy the mobility of Vet Hearne and Egret as hitting those low Def Blacksmiths was fun... even if it made base TAC attacks somewhat rough... (Frelsi with only TAC 4 isn't very likely to even get Snared when the enemy has 2 armor)... 

I played two tournament level games again Blacksmiths and in my opinion it's a horrible match for Falconers... vCinder and Sledge can each kill  a model per turn with ease, they have an easier time scoring goals (better kick and better ball protection - bubble plus Iron). Even with Egrets condition output (flurry 3 models per turn) you're  just not dealing enough damage to them  - games usually end in the third turn now.

My plan both times was to TK Sledge and vCinder after they take out my players, but I managed to TO just one of them fast enough ... plus in the second turn masters become a problem too. The best I managed was:

- first turn - 0:2 (Sledge TO one player...)

- second turn - 4:8 (I TO 2 and he TO 2 plus a goal)

- third - since I can't score goals anymore I go for TOs, ... 6:12

... next time I'll try to go for ball earlier and see what happens ...

The thing with Blacksmiths IMHO is that they tend to get in their own way... lots of large bases, some pretty slow models (although they did get some speed buffs in S4)... so the one thing Falconers have over them is mobility... 

Also, we want to be pretty spread out... and they want to clump up to get bonuses from Sentinel and all their Master/Apprentice relationships (although a lot of those are 6" now.. so it's not nearly that limiting)... 

I think the only reason I had a decent game into them was I kept pulling him in two directions... I had models on both flanks, and he had to decide which side to dedicate the 'middle' models too... 

I saw the same thing actually in my game vs Farmers on Monday... he wanted to scrum in the middle, and I got models behind his lines to set up for Snap Shots and kept my ranged attack models on the opposite flank, so he kept dividing his forces, reducing the gang ups and letting me slip away a few times.

The problem with that was Minerva kind of got caught in the middle (not being quick) and when she gets taken out, losing Eye Spy, a Harrier, Nocturnal Hunting, and her damage buff from Easy Pickings is rough... Frelsi is kind of in the same boat.. you want the bird to risk getting hit to get Loved Creature, you certainly want the Assist for Devana, but they know that, so they are looking to just remove the bird if the chance shows up.

Ikaros is one I'm having trouble with, as he wants the Harrier support (+1 Tac and Cover plus +2/+2 move) but he doesn't want to buying his own Harrier (it's non-momentous or just too expensive to pay for outright) and then he only has 1 chance to tackle the ball if he wants to walk away and shoot, and obviously it's easy for an enemy to re-tackle it or KD him when he's giving up a parting blow... So then if he's near Minerva, Maatagi, or Rundaas, he can maybe use their Harrier, but then he's likely too close to the enemy beaters for comfort! lol... 

Finesse team for sure!  But looking forward to trying unlock this puzzle.