malladin.ben

Let's start taking tactics

@EpicChris you have nothing to apologize for - I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek, as well as just making a general observation that applies to, well... almost everything. (At first, you can't even decipher the Matrix. Then, you begin to be able to read it, and eventually you don't even see the code, just blonde, brunette. But it takes the One to truly manipulate it like a master.) Anyway... one of the most frustrating games in my Guild Ball life last night has left me with a question: I'm still a bit unclear about the status of Heroic and Legendary plays as they relate to a Character Play. Are these Character Plays? If the Legendary is a CP, would a Harrier increase the damage dealt?

5 minutes ago, landstander said:

@EpicChris you have nothing to apologize for - I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek, as well as just making a general observation that applies to, well... almost everything. (At first, you can't even decipher the Matrix. Then, you begin to be able to read it, and eventually you don't even see the code, just blonde, brunette. But it takes the One to truly manipulate it like a master.) Anyway... one of the most frustrating games in my Guild Ball life last night has left me with a question: I'm still a bit unclear about the status of Heroic and Legendary plays as they relate to a Character Play. Are these Character Plays? If the Legendary is a CP, would a Harrier increase the damage dealt?

Heroic and Legendary are Plays but not Character Plays. As such Tough Hide works against them but they do not benefit from Harriers. They can also be used when Knocked Down.

I feel like Falconers are at the strongest if they can abuse a slight increase in average dice rolls. A lot of the results you want are already within reach, but things that just nudge probabilities into your favor seem really strong. So I really like Grudge Match and +1 tac on a squaddie, even though singled out can get real dicey when put on one of your players. This is also why I feel like Devanas legendary play is so important. Using it to get just a kill is rarely worth it, but ending a turn by snaring a bunch of targets really boosts your next turn massively! Most targets with -1 def will be good targets for almost any of our players: Minerva is pretty solid on her own, but snared gives you more safety in hitting the results you need. Mataagi can more easily hit the mom harrier (or a tackle!), Rundaas will start hitting those delicious upper results, and so on. And while I know that this isn´t rocket science and people already do this, I think its easy to lose sight of these small bonuses in the heat of battle. The 3 damage is great, but guaranteed snared is really good. Also, counter attack to put out harriers or other character plays! Any influence saved is influence gained, and all of our players really want that one extra attack. Sure, Rundaas might not knock you down on a counter, but he will put up a harrier or dirty knives. Then when it´s his turn, he can go straight into the juicy results! Same with Minerva: If you don´t actually need 3 attacks to do KD, Eye Spy and Harrier, thats great news! Even choosing these results ahead of the "better choices" can be worth it. If Minerva has the chance to knock someone down on the counter attack, but they have a momentum, ask your self this: Would I rather he waste that momentum to stand up and continue as usual, or do I want him to end the turn in a harrier or eye spyed, which he can´t clear?

I am enjoying Falconers very much at the moment, and with WTC behind us, we´re hopefully gonna be able to get some more games in with them! :)

Thanks for this sharing :)

I'm enjoying playing with them as my first guild, and all feedbacks help me. 

This question is awesome :  "Would I rather he waste that momentum to stand up and continue as usual, or do I want him to end the turn in a harrier or eye spyed, which he can´t clear?" Never thinking like that.. Thanks a lot. I want to improve myself a lot with them :)

After a bunch of games and taking a look at how games are won and lost, here are my thoughts on the team:

- Everything runs through Devana.  She is a super solo that needs set up.  The more set ups the better - she is very greedy, so you need to feed her.  She should always go last, unless it is to set up the winning goal.

-  The secret of Rundaas is Dirty Knives.  When I attack with Rundaas, I am now always leading with Dirty Knives followed by a Harrier.  Dirty Knives is great to knock out a target with 1 health left.  I was watching a Falconer's match report today and the Falconers player was trying to kill a 1 health model with Minerva.  I think the play is have Rundaas attack a near by model and then kill the other model with Dirty Knives and save the Minerva activation. 

-  I think the base line up of Rundaas, Minerva, Mataagi and vHearne is the primary line up for S3.  This line up gives you 3 Harriers, 2 models with 2" melee, and Last Light, and provides the most synergic boost to Devana.  Last Light on Devana is amazing, given that her character plays just cost 1 INF.

-  Current S3 Egret does not provide synergy for Devana, which goes to my first point.  Everything needs to run through Devana.  If she is on the field, you are either giving up a Harrier or Last Light.

-  My ideal game is 4 TOs & 1 goal.  Work on getting on getting the ball, force the other team to over commit, get the 4 TOs, then score the goal for the win.

-  if in doubt, pay for the Harrier.  The team gets a lot more work done with Harriers on the field. 

-  Do not over commit Devana.  If Devana is not on the pitch, the team performance really goes downhill.

1 hour ago, Riino said:

This question is awesome :  "Would I rather he waste that momentum to stand up and continue as usual, or do I want him to end the turn in a harrier or eye spyed, which he can´t clear?" Never thinking like that.. Thanks a lot. I want to improve myself a lot with them :)

If in doubt, Harrier followed by Eye Spy. KD is great on the counter after Harrier and Eye Spy are already out.

Question for you all: In turn one when receiving, do you allocate influence to lay out 3 harriers, or do you prioritize having influence left for passing the ball around? I´ve been thinking about going for a more ball oriented approach to "guarantee" momentum and/or some janky moves, but it´s so hard to tell whether 3 harriers will be overkill or perfect when allocating. Doing 5 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 0 (Devana, 3 harriers and a sprint + pass to retrieve the ball) or something like that makes influence so tight, so you never feel like you can afford to play ball! Any musings? So far I´m in camp "2 harriers are enough for turn one, play the ball more". This is all predicated on the fact that they don´t have Grace, Banisher of Birds. She changes things! :D

I plan for at least 2 Harriers on turn 1.  The decision to play ball or go for 3 Harriers depends on what their ball retrieval looks like and if they can get into my lines on turn 1.  For example, if I am playing against Shark/Fish (or similar team), I am planning on 3 Harriers because I know they are going to come after the ball and I want to take out whoever they send to get the ball.  My main strategy on turn 1 is to get the ball in a safe place and then start focusing in on taking out anyone that my opponent over commits on.

I've been playing the Falconer's mainly since I started painting them up. My impressions so far is that they are unimpressive. I am struggling to figure out how to make them "flow" better. I'm not here to be negative, I would really like to discuss in depth strats to make this team not feel like a self inflicted handicap.

My main issue with the Falconer's is how it feels like you're always setting up Denava for a big turn. While she can certainly deal impressive damage, using my models as a one model set up is not a viable strategy. I think individually every model is great in their role, but something cohesive is missing when I play them, and if I were to pick out one thing it feels like their damage output is strung up with Denava. Rundaas is a great model, but he'll chip damage and set-up other models. Same with Minerva. And maybe it wouldn't  be that bad if the Falconer's didn't die to a stiff breeze. Rundaas is the tankiest model on the base team, but he is about as tanky as a Blacksmith apprentence. In the games I've played Falconer's I have won pnce against a Mason's player who over committed Brick, who I one turned with Denava. 

Up to now I've been playing the base team. Again, individually I think they all have their merits. New Vet Hearne looks good, but unsure who I would swap out. I have no hope for Egret in Falconers.