Suppose Ikaros jogs into a friendly Harrier AoE and uses Updraft to treat it as fast ground but this additional movement does not cause him to clear the AoE.  If he then uses Taking Flight to make another jog, does the Harrier AoE act as fast ground again from Updraft or would this count as a second use of Updraft and thus not provide a movement bonus even though it's the same AoE?

Also Taking Flight gives him Flight with ignores ground. Does this mean he can't gain the movement bonus from Updraft for the Taking Flight jog?  (and subsequent advances). 

My understanding is its a timing thing when using these interactions.

Starts in harrier and uses updraft for a standard jog or sprint with +2speed and then takes flight to be able to make a 5" standard jog which has the flight rule and ignores terrain penalties/bonuses for the move (also bases if he can clear them). 

Total possible move based on these two rules is 14" and costs 2inf.

4 hours ago, Stephen78 said:

My understanding is its a timing thing when using these interactions.

Starts in harrier and uses updraft for a standard jog or sprint with +2speed and then takes flight to be able to make a 5" standard jog which has the flight rule and ignores terrain penalties/bonuses for the move (also bases if he can clear them). 

Total possible move based on these two rules is 14" and costs 2inf.

I can imagine a few cornercase scenarios where you first want to use Take Flight before your standard advance. That is why my question is: what is the timing on gaining Flight and the extra jog? Can you choose to first take the jog and then gain Flight so you can use Updraft on that extra jog?

From the wording I'd say the extra jog is an active trait (may) and the gains Flight part is a passive trait. So I'd guess you can't choose and Flight will be switched on  immediately, denying Ikaros the fast ground benefit.