Sign in to follow this  
malladin.ben

Butchers minor confirmed as next after navvies

At vengeance there was a bit of info on the navigators, but when asked what minor guild was coming after them, Jamie P said they were going to be "red". With a very heavy hint that by this he meant butchers in case we weren't quick enough to clock on.

If I can offer a bit if speculation, the navigators are described as having a very simple, fast, goalscoring playstyle. I would expect the butchers minor to be similar for takeout play. Lots of sinple straightforward models that are just good at dealing damage without too much finesse or set up required. Anyway, that's just me guessing.

Cheerio,

Ben

So, what would "simple abilities and playstyle" mean in reference to takeout play? What tools would such a team need to have access to to be able to work?

One of the biggest issues I find for new players is getting their head around activation order issues. If the playstyle is to be simple, I think it means you need to have a team that has few activation order issues to deal with (I see Shark fishermen currently as being very much like this). Therefore, each player needs to bring its own set up, such as a model with Smell Blood who also comes with Crucial Artery or Blood, or plays like Singled Out, Butchery, They Ain't Tough or Stagger that only that model gains the benefit from. Maybe the entire team could be mavericks? 

What current abilities would you describe as simple? Furious? Berserk? Ambush? Does simple mean a lack of dodges and pushes? Does simple mean mitigating the "classic" butcher weakness to counter attacks? And if so, how do you do so without making the broken? (On this score I once designed a fan model that was designed to be better if you spent their INF on set up and then charged at an opponent once, rather than their INF being better spent on a single attack, perhaps this could be a concept that fits this guild?)

What about playbooks? Is there any room for simplicity there? What about having 2 DMG in the first column? Too strong? Too dull? (this gets my vote).

Also, how do you balance a simple take-out playstyle? Do they need to be fast so they can threaten people even if they run away, or is the ability to spread out and not rely on buffs from each other enough to mitigate this issue they might face? Do they need to be light so that they can be easily defeated in the scrum if they have strong individual activations? Or do they need to be more survivable in the scrum, but better able to pull people into it and/or trap them there when they do? If they're going to be strongly focused on takeout play, do you need to dissuade them from scoring goals? If so, how, especially if they're going to be fast? Low kick stats, low kick ranges, high non-momentous tackles?

Lots of things to think about if this is the case. What do you think?

Ben

You know if I were SFG I would simplify a lot of the Guilds using Guild Rules. These would express the flavour of the Guild without unnecessary additional rules. E.g.

Butchers - all models get Crucial Artery

Fish - all models get Shadow Like

Brewers - all models get Tough Hide

etc

Now I recognise there's some balance stuff here, but the point is you can take away a lot of the extra rules Guilds have by just giving the whole Guild a flavour. You still have have levers like Heroics or actual card stats. But the use of a global rule ties the models together. It doesn't stop that rule being used on other Guilds but it just makes them work together as a team.

Or you could pick non-rules such as the GICs and put those on every card - but that might not help with simplicity.

Fillet in a team where everyone gets crucial artery would be pretty brutal! I guess smell blood would have to change to a TAC bonus or something instead..?

If the minor is Cutlers, anatomical precision could be a good shout for their guild rule.

That said, I'm not sure it necessarily simplifies their play style, or at least not on its own. It makes them a bit easier to remember, certainly, and clears up some space on the card, but I think it depends on the trait as to how simple it makes things, and there's a lot of other stuff that can be done to simplify a guild's playstyle beyond just giving them a universal rule.

Ben