Sign in to follow this  
Petraites

Falconers, the whole picture

Now that the two last Falconer players have appeared in scene, we can see the whole picture now.

IMO, Falconers will be a very football-oriented guild: Devana has terrific tricks to steal and pass the ball, the team will have access to 3 models with 8" distance kick and Frelsi, the mascot, has 3 dice-kick (I think it's the mascot with greater dice-kick, without buffs). Also, Ikaros, with 3 INF and 1 AOE Harrier, has a fantastic goal threat.

Furthermore, I think Falconers, even with Harrier, aren't as killy as they seem. They have low HP, crappy defenses and aren't as slippery as Hunters are, so they will have to spread to survive. They cannot benefit pretty well of crowd out and ganging ups. I think their most successful plan attack would be to weaken some key enemy players with poisons and bleeds, and then kill them off with a Devana DOA or with a Rundaas' or Minerva's visit (now, Minerva's Easy Pickings trait has more sense).

My first 6 will be Devana, Frelsi, Egret, Ikaros, Mataagi and Minerva, looking for a 2-2 victory. Egret, Mataagi and Minerva will mainly have 2 INF each turn. Ikaros will have 3 INF, 4 if he needs to recover a hard ball (he has good tricks to bypass Unpredictable Movements and other defensive ball-holder abilities). Frelsi will have at least 1 INF to make a Sprint, or 2 to Charge and snare the target. Devana will have the rest of INF. Maybe I could change Mataagi for Rundaas to have someone more durable and better with MP-generation, without compromising my Harrier generation.

The natural choose is to receive. It seems pretty hard to stop an Ikaros' goal run. He's like Friday full of movement buffs, but with the capacity to go through enemies and barriers.

What are your thoughts? 

Rookie here.

They don't have any models capable of protecting a ball, so if they have to kill it, they will have to punt it into space...  I think everyone just huddles behind minerva, and Ikaros runs around on the opposite edge.  They seem like a 2-2 team by necessity to me.

First thoughts, I'd want to start with:

Devana, frelsi, rundaas, ikaros, minerva, vhearne.

Rundaas (cousin jaecar) seems always take. With a damagy short playbook he is the teams best beater after devana. Harrier and some extra dice and things will die. Built in harrier and dirty knives means he does the set up he and devana need in one package. Pushes are great in general but especially for getting people (back) into harriers. Good speed and kick enables a credible football switchup role. Most durable native squaddie in a team of paper cannons. He does literally everything falconers need.

Falconers need goals, there's no way I'll be able to keep them alive in any kind of kill race. Ikaros seems absolutely fab.

Minerva seems like a strong support peice. Suspect falconers take outs will come from quality attacks (devana death from above on set up enemies) rather than quantity which inevitably places your players in vulnerable positions.

Vhearne is a decent battery, and last light really should help the falconers get off the essential plays. Inf allocation seems like it will be very tight otherwise. Hope s4 makes him more tanky.

Falconers has 2 forms to kill the ball, a repositioning with Devana's Air Mail or passing to Frelsi + Hack Back, and Ikaros possessing it. The first is an active form, you have to activate Devana to protect the ball. When you see your opponent concentrating INF in his striker, Devana can frustrate his plans sending the ball to a safer place, out of that enemy striker threat range. The second is pasive, but needs setup. Ikaros has an amazing goal threat range and, if within a Harrier AOE, his counterattacks will become pretty powerful against enemy strikers. Also, Falconers has some good models who like to activate last and have good counter-goal capacities (Egret and Mataagi).

Rundaas has good qualities but he's very vulnerable to counterattacks. Without a reachable KD, melee 2" or good dodges, his kill runs can finish prematurely. His trait helps him to engage enemies, and his CPs let him not to waste his INF, but those don't remove his vulnerability. Also, he is not as tanky as he seems. vHearne can do better (more HP, 2" melee, dangerous counterattack).

These guys seem like a fightier version of the Ratcatchers. Lots of early game pressure with a preferred 2-2 approach. Whereas the Rats are rewarded more for creative football play, the Falconers seem like they'll get rewarded for good fighting set up. That being said, these guys absolutely do not want to brawl. I'd guess they'll feel like a combination of the Hunters' trickiness with the Butchers' raw damage when they fight.

I can see swapping out Ikaros for Egret when the Falconers want to slow the game down and maintain their distance longer. Don't see running vHearne too much since he's so slow, but he won't be bad as a counterpunching option against teams that have to come into the Falconers or in situations where you really want more Snare options. I also don't see taking out any of the Harrier models since they all work too well with Devana and they're all just too good to swap out for either Egret and vHearne.

Final thought: think I'll usually like kicking with these guys rather than receiving. The last activation should give Devana a good chance to set up 2 or 3 mega attacks at the end of a turn that can transition into five Assist attacks at the top of the next turn for a take out. Obviously this won't work against teams that can just sit back and shoot (Smoke Alchemists, Engineers, Esters Brewers, Burnish Blacksmiths) but I think it will be my normal approach.

I definitely want to hop over in the latter half of the year here and really play with this guild, so this is pretty interesting.

Just in discussion with a friend, I think the Falconers could be a poster-child model for the 2-2 game. They have some great goal scoring options but I think they will need to be advantageous with their take-out targets. As a collective group, they seem to be pretty squishy, so if it takes too long to do, it's probably not going to benefit this team very much.