AaronWilson.

Constructing your new Hunter 10.

So I had a total blast playing Butchers in the last month, ending up 14-3 with them at events.

Its time to our Hunters back on the table, the WTC is getting closer and closer, so I’d love to hear your thoughts on my 10. Currently, this is it (With Falconers in mind) -

Theron, Fahad, Snow, Mataagi, Minerva, vMinx, Zarola, Jaecar, Seenah & oHearne. 

I’ve got sooooo much testing to do! What’s your 10 going to look like post Falconers?

I think Snow is great into Butchers & Morticians who don’t want to spend attack’s picking KDs / are high on the playbook. I don’t see where I would take Chaska or Egret these days.

I'm in a pretty similar spot, but with Skatha instead of Snow.  I do love Snow into Butchers, but I enjoy Skatha too much to fit him in the 10 as well.  I only really liked Chaska into Blacksmiths, and with the new additions, he's gotta go. 

So I've got Theron, Skatha, Fahad, o.Hearne, Jaecar, Zarola, Seenah, v.Minx, Minerva pretty well locked down at 9, with Egret and Mataagi battling out for the last slot.  Need to do some more thinking about matchups and get some more games in to test some things and see where I end up.  Actually leaning Egret at the moment, but not sure I'm not just overcorrecting for the appeal of the new shiny.  

I would pick: Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Jaecar, Minx2, Minerva, Zarola. At that point I would probably take Egret (Corsair, striker), Mataagi (Bleed, extra Harrier, speed, Hot shot), Chaska (Blacksmiths, Masons, Morticians as synergy with Harrier - because 5 DMG shots are worth it - works against unpredictable and also bring traps).

Seenah is a trap. She will get KD'd, and then farmed or destroyed while your INF pool is crippled. With Harrier you don't need her to do DMG and she's not that tanky either. Minerva does everything else better.

Current General Line Up: Theron, Fahad, Jaecar, Minerva, Hearne1, Minx2

Kicking Pressure: Theron, Fahad, Jaecar, Hearne1, Minx2, Zarola

1 hour ago, THE_DOJO_MIKE said:

@Breaking_Play can you explain why Minerva over Mataagi for you? Our Meta is split down the middle of your line-up but the last slot is either of the falconers. I would love to hear other peoples reasoning. 

I think she brings more passive value than Mataagi, with 2" reach and her Come on Mate aura.  I also highly value the knockdown she brings.  The efficiency of that aura feels huge, when an injured Theron or Jaecar or whoever can activate and get a takeout and heal themself 8 boxes for 1 momentum, whether she's done anything at all.  And I think she delivers and supports the harrier better.  If Jaecar gets to attack a model that's been knocked down in a harrier, that model is dead.  That said, I've only got a couple games in with them, so this is initial feeling still.

15 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

I would pick: Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Jaecar, Minx2, Minerva, Zarola. At that point I would probably take Egret (Corsair, striker), Mataagi (Bleed, extra Harrier, speed, Hot shot), Chaska (Blacksmiths, Masons, Morticians as synergy with Harrier - because 5 DMG shots are worth it - works against unpredictable and also bring traps).

Seenah is a trap. She will get KD'd, and then farmed or destroyed while your INF pool is crippled. With Harrier you don't need her to do DMG and she's not that tanky either.

I'd agree Seenah can be a trap, if you play her incautiously and/or into the wrong matchups, but I think it's too strong to say she flat is and will be abused.  I am curious to explore how the new models and harriers change the games where I've played her previously, though.  May very well be that she can leave the ten with these new additions.

I think if i were to try hunters at this point it would be with 

Theron, Skatha, Fahad, Jacear, oHearne, vet minx, egret, seenah, mataagi, (Zarola, Minerva, vHearne)

what do the fine people here think?

10 - Theron - Skatha - Fahad - oHearne - Jaecar - Zarola - Egret - Mataagi - Minnerva - vMinx

!= 10 - Chaska, vHearne, Ulfr, Seenah, Snow

I need to give more tabletime to Snow to really feel if she's worth it.
I think Chaska fights with Egret, but I've always found him too fragile and dicey to rely on. Definitely want to get some games in with him though.
Ulfr is just Where'd They Go with a mov and kick.
vHearne, the QuadBox dream is the only reason I see for taking him.
Seenah is just bad. She costs too much and does too little. You're better off using other damage dealers who don't deprive your team of 4 Inf/Turn before you invest any setup like Harrier.

I think that the new models really provide a skew in play styles that will demand lineups that go one way or another.

You can follow a jack of all trade routes, or go hard into takeouts. Obviously 85% of models can contribute to both aspects of the game, but players like Minerva, Chaska, and the Hearne's (it might be a hot take to group them together, but that's how I see them) will struggle to find space against players who are clearly designed with one role in mind.

Now that there are going to be 15 (14 after Ulfur) players to choose from, I don't think a set consensus will really emerge. 

1 hour ago, Breaking_Play said:

I think she brings more passive value than Mataagi, with 2" reach and her Come on Mate aura.  I also highly value the knockdown she brings.  The efficiency of that aura feels huge, when an injured Theron or Jaecar or whoever can activate and get a takeout and heal themself 8 boxes for 1 momentum, whether she's done anything at all.  And I think she delivers and supports the harrier better.  If Jaecar gets to attack a model that's been knocked down in a harrier, that model is dead.  That said, I've only got a couple games in with them, so this is initial feeling still.

I'm also in a similar spot in that I don't often see why I'd want Mataagi over Minerva. There's some shenanigans with Hot Shot that can be nice and I think Skatha appreciates more of what he does, but much more often I'm going to want Minerva in the 6. Mataagi often feels redundant enough, as I don't think I'm ever going to want both, but I definitely want to playtest that a little more before I make up my mind. 

Skatha loses part of her synergies with Minerva and Mataagi because her Blessing and her Legendary are only available to Guild members. The same with Snow's Feral Instincs. It's a pity, because a Mataagi's Hot Shot, blessed by Skatha and against a frozen target would be very funny.

8 minutes ago, Petraites said:

Skatha loses part of her synergies with Minerva and Mataagi because her Blessing and her Legendary are only available to Guild members. The same with Snow's Feral Instincs. It's a pity, because a Mataagi's Hot Shot, blessed by Skatha and against a frozen target would be very funny.

Minor guild members are "friendly guild"

11 minutes ago, Starlight said:

Gotta saying I’m pretty keen to try a quad Boom Box against a target in a Harrier. Just once.

Fun, yes.

But my goal is to make it meta bending. 

I think Skatha is a solid captain, and I think that Harrier is really going to open up her game. My tentative ten is as follows:

Theron, Skatha, Fahad, Vet Minx, Jaecar, Seenah, Chaska, Vet Hearne, Ulfr, Mitaagi/Minverva.

What can I say, I like dark horse models apparently.  I think a one-two scoring combo of Ulfr and Skatha is a thing with the killing threat of a Harrier AoE. I think I would like Mitaagi more with Skatha for his kick stat and Minerva with Theron for her support. Minerva kinda fills the void of not having oHearne. 

Skatha, fahad, vminx, zarola, jaecar, seenha, ulfr, minerva, chaska, egret

Core: vminx, zarola, jaecar

Zarolas mo enables goals and kills. Ball holder. Opportunistic snared and linked.

Jaecar controls enemy beat stick with G&S + trap. Damage dealer. Opportunist goal threat.

Vminx enables skatha/zarola character plays. Cold snap is particularly important. Enables beater movement and damage output. Durable goal threat. 2" melee.

Flex 

Seenha for kill focus into softer teams

Ulfr for goal focus into killy teams and counter charge/UM (recent games have started to change my mind on him. Still think he is terribly designed, but skatha needs his ball retrieval tech so bad)

Situational

Minerva enables damage dealers. Opportunistic healing. Needs testing but could flex for both killy or goal focus (2" melee and eyespy good for ball retreival). Could replace core member e.g. jaecar in bear team. 

Chaska into low def high armour (blacksmiths), and strategically important rough ground. Teams likely to control seenha. Low def wingers.

Egret into clusterscrumkilly teams probably instead of ulfr.

Replace chaska and egret with theron and ohearne if I get round to painting them and feel like bluffing

Considering blind selection of captains, I feel like you always need both captains. Even if there is an "obvious" choice, certain terrain features etc can change the game, and it disadvantages you during the drafting process. 

I like Minerva over Mitaagi. 

My base 10 is probably:  Theron, Skatha, Fahad, vMinx, Jaecar, Zarola, Hearne1, Seenah, Minerva + 1 flex (Egret or Chaska)

I'm thinking Skatha, Theron, Fahad, Zarola, Jaecar, vMinx, Minerva, Mataagi, oHearne, Seenah

vMinx already changes the guild so much. I've been running Skatha as a support focused captain who repositions friendly players, throws out Snare, and positions to get a snap back goal or steal the ball if need be. Jaecar and vMinx do most of the work since both have very dynamic threat ranges and tons of flexibility.

Is anyone thinking about running both mataagi & Minerva in a 10 or 6?

maybe it's just too many setup pieces. Really starts to cut into your number of blessings and other hunters specialties too.

was thinking of a line up like theron/fahad/Hearne1/minx2/mataagi/Minerva.

some decent ranged pressure, lots of set up and hopefully enough almelee prowess to capitalize on said setup? not a huge amount of ball pressure or jank but you can't have everything :P

I can see both in my 10, but I am not sure that playing both in a starting 6 is an optimal line up.  IMO, Jaecar & vMinx make up the core that you build around in a Theron list.  I think you lose too much in dropping 1 of them.  The more I play Zarola, the more I think she adds a lot to a line.  If you follow this logic, then it only leads 1 more spot to fill.  Depending on the opponent, we have some good choices.