Sign in to follow this  
Nitz

Newbie at Tourney

Guys, playing my first games of Morts at Muse On Con this week.  Don't care about winning, but if there are some basic tips/strategies to keep in mind, I'd love to hear them.  Plan to Run Obi, Dirge or Vileswarm, Casket or Ghast, Cosset, Graves, and Brainpan and Memory.  Insane week, so probably can't get Scalpel or vGraves (for if I run VS) done.  Lucky to get those players done.  Very excited as I don't get a lot of games around my hometown, thus the total lack of Morts play prior to the game.  I know there a million tips, but just looking for some core "try to do this, it's usually decent" type stuff.   For example

tip one - kick off with Obs

Thoughts and ideas welcomed.

4 hours ago, Nitz said:

Guys, playing my first games of Morts at Muse On Con this week.  Don't care about winning, but if there are some basic tips/strategies to keep in mind, I'd love to hear them.  Plan to Run Obi, Dirge or Vileswarm, Casket or Ghast, Cosset, Graves, and Brainpan and Memory.  Insane week, so probably can't get Scalpel or vGraves (for if I run VS) done.  Lucky to get those players done.  Very excited as I don't get a lot of games around my hometown, thus the total lack of Morts play prior to the game.  I know there a million tips, but just looking for some core "try to do this, it's usually decent" type stuff.   For example

1. Consider using Pelage and Skulk - those are ready to play right out of the box, according to OPD they don't even require painting (which is nonsense to be honest but that's the way it works)

2. Avoid picking both big guys at the same time as that limits Your influence heavily

3. Tooled up Obulus with 7 influence can deal serious damage

4. Picking Casket is justified only when You can set up his legendary, the easiest way to do it is (while You're kicking) to wait til they score and then stomp the striker with Obs (point 3) leaving him on 1-3 HP, win the initiative and Casket Time in first activation turn 2

5. Obulus, Dirge and B&M can deliver some janky goals, always keep in mind puppet master, i'm open, free dodges and teamwork actions, quite a few people are surprised with those

You probably want to go 2-2 or 2+CT with this setup, You can't realy brawl with Spooks.

If you plan to take out a model you will really need to focus them down. Morts don't have a good burst damage unless your opponent allows you to get Cosset with the Dirge assist.

OGraves is a great well rounded piece. Tooled up. Tackle on 1. Decent kick stat. Can poke some models and put bleed up.

I forget the Memory dodge a lot. I started putting a 2in widget next to him to make it harder to miss.

Brainpan and Memory are a very nice flex piece. The puppet can score or put out decent damage plus easy crowd outs

Don't get bogged down to much with Obulus. His main draw back for me is he uses up a lot of time on the clock for me.

7 hours ago, el009 said:

1. Consider using Pelage and Skulk - those are ready to play right out of the box, according to OPD they don't even require painting (which is nonsense to be honest but that's the way it works)

2. Avoid picking both big guys at the same time as that limits Your influence heavily

3. Tooled up Obulus with 7 influence can deal serious damage

4. Picking Casket is justified only when You can set up his legendary, the easiest way to do it is (while You're kicking) to wait til they score and then stomp the striker with Obs (point 3) leaving him on 1-3 HP, win the initiative and Casket Time in first activation turn 2

5. Obulus, Dirge and B&M can deliver some janky goals, always keep in mind puppet master, i'm open, free dodges and teamwork actions, quite a few people are surprised with those

You probably want to go 2-2 or 2+CT with this setup, You can't realy brawl with Spooks.

How do see point 3 happening?
With TAC 5 and a mon 2 on 3 hits? Or do you take in account a knock-down model with only 1 armour?

Cheers,

Jeroen

34 minutes ago, Jynxed85 said:

Don't get bogged down to much with Obulus. His main draw back for me is he uses up a lot of time on the clock for me.

Agree strongly with this.  Have a plan for him, and a backup, spend a few moments at most looking for other opportunities that might have presented themselves, and then make a choice.  You don't want to end up burning through your clock just to end up doing what you probably would have initially done anyway.

The other thing to remember with any control team is that the sexy play is sometimes not the right play.  Puppet Master-ing someone to get into threat to attack a high value target if things go well is exciting, but it's not as good a choice as jogging an already-activated enemy model into range of your whole squad.

5 minutes ago, The_Question_NL said:

With TAC 5 and a mon 2 on 3 hits? Or do you take in account a knock-down model with only 1 armour?

Cheers,

Jeroen

tooled up means non-momentous 2 on a single hit meaning 14 damage on average 

12 hours ago, Nitz said:

-  As you said yourself kick with Obulus vs 1"melee zone guilds (or mostly 1")
-  Always try to have 4 inf on Obulus (you don't have to PM but the danger is there)
-  Be smart with your legendary on Obulus ( use it to either negate a counter/defensive stance when going first or to ensure you have the first turn next round)
-  Morts are inf heavy try to score early to get that extra inf
- As a gameplan go for a 2-2 or a 2-1(casket time)
- Also don't be picky on who you use casket time the sooner the better (to have an influence advantage)

8 minutes ago, THE_DOJO_MIKE said:

tooled up means non-momentous 2 on a single hit meaning 14 damage on average 

True just checking what he meant but thnx for the verification :) 
For me personally 14 non-momentous damage is not something that I really feel like adds something (unless it's the winning take-out ofcourse :P )

43 minutes ago, The_Question_NL said:

Cheers,

Jeroen

I don't realy hope to hit that :mom2:, but there is still :1: on 1 success and You will hit 3rd column sometimes (around 19% vs 4+/1 and 21% vs 5+/0) so You're looking at 14 dmg reasonably. Enough to make Casket Time doable as most of the strikers doesn't have a lot of HP. And after 1st turn You can prepare some gang ups, singled out, kd etc.

did a tourney recap and some thoughts from a newb under "things I think I learned" thread if interested.