Camp3ra

Teach Me To Paint

So I am really bad at painting but cannot keep paying people to paint for me. I have no ability with the brush and Guild Ball models are far to nice for me to be practicing on; what and how would you guys recommend i use to learn? Are there any tips/ blogs/ videos i can use to help?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about painting tutorials, but as far as practice goes, I'd advise picking up some cheap fantasy model (WH Fantasy or Mantic) and practicing with those. That way, you'll still get the practice in, but you won't need up your GB models.

Do you have any photos of your current painting attempts? It'll give us a starting point for giving you some pointers

Can't recommend Warhammer TV (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwdh3MTrFq3sXlB4ct8B-Fg) enough - their painting guides are very good and you can often find something similar to what you want to paint. These might not be expert painter guides - they are pitched at beginners or those that want to improve their painting. Obviously they use GW paints but the principles are still sound.

Oh and buy Windsor & Newton 0 Sable brush - changed my painting life.

I agree with folks saying get something cheap to practice on, though I’d actually recommend avoiding Mantic and Reaper. You don’t want to be fighting the casting  while you’re learning! Some GW plastic is a good place to go.

Not sure what kit you already have at home, but:

Brushes - get reasonable ones, but bear in mind the top end kolinsky sable ones are expensive. A good brush is the most important thing to have, but you’re guaranteed to trash a few at the start. I use a size 2, 1 and 0.

Paints - personal choice which brand, but go for one that’s easy to get hold of. Vallejo game colour or GW paints are pretty beginner friendly. Scalecolour are not. Get yourself a small selection of colours, leather brown/flesh/silver/black/white are really handy, and then grab some others that take your fancy. 

Other than that, you only need a water pot and a palette (any old flat surface will do, even the back of blister packs, though if it’s white that’s useful).

As for painting itself, my advice is to prime in black, ideally with a spray but you can do it by hand as long as you’re careful not to put too much paint on. Thin your paints, don’t paint straight from the pot. Use the biggest brush you can get away with for painting areas, that way you need less strokes and it gives a smoother result. Don’t overload your brush or the model with paint, a couple of thin coats is better than a thick one.

Focus on getting the colours where you want them in neat, even layers. Block colours first, then you can start looking at drybrushing and washing once you’ve got your eye in.

And post photos, ask for advice, all that kind of stuff. There’s always someone about in the display cabinet section on here who can offer some pointers and ideas :)

Edit: oh, and clean up all the mould lines etc with files or scraping with a knife before you start. Nothing spoils a paintjob like a big seam running down a model :D

Thanks for the advice. Currently not painted anything yet but i will be hoping to get going soon. I have some old Lord of the Rings Elves ill practice on. Will post some photos soon and hopefully you guys can give me some more advice.

Thanks again guys.

14 minutes ago, Camp3ra said:

I have some old Lord of the Rings Elves ill practice on.

They sound perfect to practice with. Good luck!

This might not be possible based on location but it's worth noting that if you have a Warhammer store near you they will often be happy to help teach you to paint right there in the store if you have some of their models. Sometimes just being able to paint while someone watches on is really helpful. They'll get you to a pretty decent army standard fairly easily. Of course if you live in BFE like I do, not such a good option. 

11 hours ago, Camp3ra said:

Thanks for the advice. Currently not painted anything yet but i will be hoping to get going soon. I have some old Lord of the Rings Elves ill practice on. Will post some photos soon and hopefully you guys can give me some more advice.

there are many more detailed painting guides out there by people far better at painting than me, but as a quick 101 :

1) Spray your mini, Black makes shading slightly easier, White makes colours slightly brighter.

2) Paint big blocks of colour, practice staying in the lines of the miniature (a lot of the GB range are very forgiving for this) and being as neat as possible but don't worry to much about mess at this stage.

3) Use a wash, I prefer "Agrax Earthshade" as I feel it's less harsh than "Nuln Oil" but everyone tends to have their own preference.

4) Go over the coloured areas with partially thinned base colour trying to avoid deep recesses and overlapping colours.

5) Paint smaller details and any extra highlights as required.

6) Base, gloss varnish, flock (if required), matt varnish spray..

I guess the most important step is to not get to disheartened if something doesn't go to to plan on your first few attempts, and keep practising on staying within the lines..

I would recommend finding a cheap lot sale / bits box on eBay. You don't need to plaint whole figures to practice techniques, thought there is satisfaction in seeing something "done".

If you don't have supplies yet, I would recommend either getting a starter kit for a small variety of colors and initial brushes. Avoid the expensive brushes til you're at least a few models in. Every brand has their own starter kits. I personally am loving Army Builder paints after working with Citadel for decades. It is so much more consistent!!

A can of primer / base layer in a neutral color. I prefer bone/tan.

YouTube is my best friend when it comes to painting. I have been binging on Miniac. He has some really good intro vids.

*****Wet Pallette. YouTube how to make one for a demo. They are dirt cheap and save you LOADS in paint. And make mixing a breeze. 

Simplified wet palette: Buy a sealable, shallow container. I use a 5x7 photo case by Iris (here) for like a buck and a half. Get a fresh, clean sponge cloth. Cut it to fit the bottom of the case. Buy Parchment paper. I had some high quality stuff lying around but once I ran out I bought Reynold's and found the cheaper stuff works better. Cut a rectangle of parchment paper to rest on the sponge, leaving about 1/4" on sponge expose on all sides. Set the paper aside. Soak the sponge and put water in the container til it is just below the top of the sponge. Put the paper on top, holding the corners flat (it'll try to curl). Flip it and repeat. Repeat again. I usually like to let the paper soak a couple minutes before adding paint, but once the paper will rest flat you're ready to paint.

On 2018-05-14 at 10:51 AM, ningu said:

They sound perfect to practice with. Good luck!

Those are in a scale that is quite hard to work with. So be kind to yourself when evalueating your work. :)