tunapoots

Being accused of cheating

I played a guy the other day at a game store, my vRage into Shark. My dice were ok, didn’t feel like super hot dice, but he kept making comments about how many 6’s I was rolling, and saying my dice were super good. Rage rolls a lot of dice, so you can miss a lot and still get a lot done. I won 12-5, and at the end of the game he asked to see my dice, and started rolling them, saying they were rolling too good. My friend was there, he’s a wargaming vet, and said he saw mostly average rolls (he knows dice odds better than I do). I was upset, but didn’t say much, just told him they were chessex dice and that I don’t buy loaded dice. My wargaming friend made a comment when we got in the car to leave, saying he had never seen anything like that in his years of wargaming. I told him it feels like a badge of honor, you beat somebody so bad they think you’re cheating! Just curious if anyone else has had an experience like this, and how you handled it; I just got into wargaming about a year ago, and have only had a few occasions where I go out to play new people.

I've never had an experience like that, usually there's just reactions when peoples own dice are perceived to roll poorly. People start getting irrational when they are perceiving dice one way or the other, which can be seen with the 6s comment. In reality the 6 doesn't even make it a better roll if you need 4s. Anyway if he complains about yours being too good, I'd just offer to let him roll with them. When he still complains then it will be obvious it's all in his head. 

Dice games aren't for everyone

I did roll about 5 or so 6’s into shark once, when he was knocked down, hitting on 3’s. I feel I’d rather see an opponent hit a bunch of 6’s then, rather than seeing that when they swing into a 5 def model. 

That’s one thing I’ve noticed in wargaming; some people love to call out your hot dice, but don’t like to acknowledge their own. 

I wouldn't worry about It, he was a bit of a sore loser, some games you Just roll hot dice.

A few years ago In the UK, their was a known players at the time who lied about his results on his dice e.g saying he got all successes but then picked his dice up so you couldn't check but he got caught out a few times and doesn't play anymore.

I would say its a case of he is seeing what he wants to see when it comes to dice. It happens all the time people only ever see dice they roll when they are bad and only ever see the dice the opponent rolls when they are hot. 99% of the time dice even out over the course of a game/ event. Its not something to get to upset about just seems like your opponent was being salty. 

Example of poor dice: Tournament on Friday guy missed 2 2 die tap-ins with Zarola but still ended up winning and coming 3rd overall. Or from a Hammer off i played needed 3 4+'s from flint to get the momentum to score the goal. Had 4 inf on him... first 3 attacks a grand total of 2 4's each 3rd attach 3 4+'s and its all a little to late.

Or my favourite example of the day Mallet into a singled out (game plan card) Herne needing 3/1. 4 inf 7 dice each attack... grand total of 2 dice higher than a three on 28 dice.

The point is dice will be dice and yours helped you win the game, enjoy it :) 

I am sad to hear of you experience. Decline the offer of the next game from him. 

I am please to say I have not experienced anything like that since starting to play Guildball.

In general the scene is not that wound up about winning. WCWW was a podcast.

Allowing the opponent to use your dice or asking to use theirs is a great way to take away any dice cheating accusations.

I do feel sorry for your experience.

Ah man, yeah, I roll badly - famed for it! But I have three mates who always roll incredibly well. Like, it's embarrassing and causes great envy (verging on hatred) at the same time.  One lads Union dice are laughably good, and seem to ONLY roll 6s. 

Sod that guy - he got some points, you got a few more, and he didn't like that. 

My skills at rolling badly are pretty incredible. And my usual opponent’s dice usually roll fairly badly on a charge, but amazingly after that. 

There are times I’ve gotten annoyed, like when I've rolled 13 dice needing three hits (against DEF3) and gotten seven or eight twos and only two dice above that. But I only get mad at my own terrible luck, I’d never accuse my opponent of having loaded dice. After all, they’ve missed a five dice tap in before, or spent an entire stack on Friday without getting a single hit...

Blaming bad luck on someone else cheating is lousy sportsmanship. 

(And if I really need them to fail, all I have to do is touch one of their dice and they usually roll like crap for a few rolls. I’m banned from doing that now :D )

Humans are actually notoriously, and provably, bad at judging randomness. 

This coupled with any competitive feelings often end up with people blaming dice not being "random enough" (with their definition of random oftentimes being more average and less extreme). 

Behaving like your opponent did was pretty inexcusable in any case. 

This sounds like a super rare occurrence. Sorry to hear you played someone with a attitude like this, I’ve not come across anything like it since I’ve been playing.

Dice are all swings and roundabouts and they crap out on you at one point during every game. If one players dice crap out at a key point and the others spike at a key point it can seem way worse then it is. 

On 5/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, Warpstoned said:

This coupled with any competitive feelings often end up with people blaming dice not being "random enough" (with their definition of random oftentimes being more average and less extreme). 

I used to think it was just me feeling sorry for myself, but when almost everyone I've played against, in any system, says "Man, you're dice were awful!" it made me start to wonder! And when it was the first comment on a GCT Bushido video I was in, well...

If I were to have an A.K.A.... it would be B.A. Rollings  (Below Average) :P The search for magic dice continues so that I will rise above scrub level!!! 

Well.... there are good rolling dice and bad rolling dice. Unless you get an expensive set of high precision dice. Mass produced dice are made by pouring plastic into a mold. Sometimes the plastic will settle a little more on one side or the other, causing them to roll some numbers more often. No way you can figure out what a die is like though without doing some practice rolls before you buy. 

On 5/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, Warpstoned said:

I have over 400 dies because of that, my latest addidtion costed me approx 27GBP

I don’t think the dice make much difference even though they mould differently (which they do, of course. No arguments there. And sometimes one or two will be way off centre but for the most part...).

I sat and rolled forty dice (twenty Kickstarter ones and twenty mortician ones) thirty five times each, carefully recording each roll. The biggest variance I got was still well within an average probability spread, so while a few did roll lower and some higher, the difference came out at about +/- 0.1... not enough to cause any significant changes in actual results. It looked like there was something at 25 rolls, but the more I rolled the closer they all got. 

And those are my mortician dice that can roll almost entirely 2s when I only need a few threes, so if anything was going to suck they would :D 

In the end my Morticians dice (which I didn’t trust) averaged 3.552 and the Kickstarter ones (which I felt were better) 3.601... not enough to actually matter.

A lot of it is, as has been said, humans being hardwired to look for patterns in everything. One slight difference and the brain latches on like an arcturan mega leech.