50 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

Does anyone remember why Bonesaw was given a 50mm base for a 'little guy' striker? Was there ever a design statement on why this was done - or was it 'hey - this'll be hilarious' moment from the design team? The only 'synergy' I see is greater exposure to Unexpected Arrival. Other than that it seems a massive hindrance. I think I'd like to see better synergy with his base size - maybe the Long Legs trait at least. I mean Swift Wind is actively hindered by the base size!

My guess is that a player on a smaller base who can move over other players could become essentially impossible to defend against effectively.  One of Bonesaw's big weaknesses in his goal run (and the way I usually try to counter it) is that if you can predict where he's going to want to be to shoot, you can crowd the "landing zone" with models.  Even if you can't stop the goal in that case, you can usually make sure he dies right afterwards, DEF 5+ notwithstanding.

I'm guessing it has something to do with that stance they gave the model. Both him and Ghast have much bigger bases to accommodate their crazy wide stances? 

4 minutes ago, Ik-tornado said:

Besides just pose 50mm helps him intercept missed dervish passes. 

This. And it comes up a LOT :D

1 hour ago, Fish-in-a-Beer said:

My guess is that a player on a smaller base who can move over other players could become essentially impossible to defend against effectively.

Well, I guess it's the other way around. He can move through other players just to compensate for the ridiculous base size he has. And with limited sculpt where he's standng striaght it looks even more silly.

For me he's biggest weakness is being unable to threaten the ball (short range, no dodges outside teamwork actions, 1" melee) and being prone to kick-off pressure. As soon as you give him the ball Sakana / Velocity / whatever just go in, steal it and score. Because 4+ def, 1" melee and no defensive tech are obvious weakness. You can obviously keep him out of their range but that will probably mean You are not scoring this turn unless You reverie or have ton of luck for Footbal Dervish. I wish SFG made him a goalkeeper in S4, his 50mm base would be an advantage then and Skulk can take the role of striker, 40mm base and 2" melee are far better for this job.

Bonesaw scored me a turn one goal the other day and almost a turn 3 goal to win it but my opponent played the right game plan card to deny me a shot due to momentum needed and he pushed bonesaw away with his counter attack. He is much better than people give him credit for. 

On 13/05/2018 at 7:42 PM, EpicChris said:

His inability to deal with unpredictable movement is a nightmare. Most strikers can deal with it through buyable dodges or 2”. Friday and Angel are in same boat but at least they have better defence and other options for use. Bonesaw without the ball is never getting it beyond some lucky dice and your opponent not killing it properly. And without it he’s bobbins. 

I hope s4 fixes him. But I fear SFG are happy with him. I mean he was already retooled in S3. 

Well no, I don't think I've ever successfully retrieved the ball with Bonesaw. For me, he hangs around a wing and waits to be fed the ball, which was easy with Obulus and/or Mist on the pitch. With Mist gone, I am seriously going to have to reconsider my Morts game plan. 

I had a tournament game a few weeks ago playing him with my Morts. He scored a goal Turn 1,2 and 3. I just kept aggressively attacking the ball and kicking it to open for Bonesaw to scoop up and score. 

5 minutes ago, Jynxed85 said:

I had a tournament game a few weeks ago playing him with my Morts. He scored a goal Turn 1,2 and 3. I just kept aggressively attacking the ball and kicking it to open for Bonesaw to scoop up and score. 

How come he didn't die? Your opponent felt asleep or something?

I think @CurlyPaul has hit on something there - I don’t often send him into people to tackle, he waits for me to free up the ball with someone else and then tears upfield from the wing. 

Usually he’s far enough out of the main scrum, he doesn’t even get attacked properly - by the time someone comes over, I’ve run away :)

Course, if he does get killed, he can still score the turn he comes back on.

I kept pressure on the field with Scalpel, OGraves, and Pelage. With Scalpel all I did was move his influence away from anyone who reach Bonesaw. It forced him to try and scrum it out with less than optimal players.

Tormented Agony was a huge factor in that game.

1 minute ago, Jynxed85 said:

I kept pressure on the field with Scalpel, OGraves, and Pelage. With Scalpel all I did was move his influence away from anyone who reach Bonesaw. It forced him to try and scrum it out with less than optimal players.

Tormented Agony was a huge factor in that game.

I don't want to be salty but it seems like player You faced wasn't very good ;)

He was playing Rats on release day at a tournament. So I am not sure how much prior practice he got before the event. When I played him we were both 2-0 at the time.

Let’s not start dismissing people who disagree with “your opponent can’t have been very good”. That’s a short hop to “your opinion isn’t valid because...”, and I really don’t want this thread to go there.

It just irks me that he is such a cool looking model and a monk but has low TAC and a hard to reach tackle.  Neither one of these qualities seems very Monk-like to me.  He just needs a total rework and until then I will not use him unless I want to humiliate my opponent by winning with such inferior tools.  My suggestions would be TAC 6 with Tackle being on the two keeping him one-inch reach or TAC 5 with Tackle on the one having two-inch reach.  Having a 50mm base and one-inch reach I do not think that TAC 6 would be OP because it is more difficult for him to position without a crowd out.  His problem is that he can score a goal but he can not retrieve the ball. 

This is my second favourite thread on the forums, after the Stave thread. Remember Stave? Neither do I.

My brief input is that I have used Bonesaw maybe 10-15 times, and he is consistently one of the few models in Guild Ball that legitimately feels terrible to play. He is as bad to play as he is fun to paint. His most valuable contribution by far is the memes he generates so effortlessly.

Season 4 will save us all.

1 hour ago, JS said:

This is my second favourite thread on the forums, after the Stave thread. Remember Stave? Neither do I.

My brief input is that I have used Bonesaw maybe 10-15 times, and he is consistently one of the few models in Guild Ball that legitimately feels terrible to play. He is as bad to play as he is fun to paint. His most valuable contribution by far is the memes he generates so effortlessly.

Season 4 will save us all.

I think the same and un season 4 make him a decent striker

On 15/05/2018 at 6:19 AM, HammerTime said:

It just irks me that he is such a cool looking model and a monk but has low TAC and a hard to reach tackle.  Neither one of these qualities seems very Monk-like to me.

I know right? If there’s one thing Monks did a lot of, it was playing football.

When they weren’t praying, copying religious texts, teaching, helping the poor, tending the sick, washing, cooking, farming and presumably eating and sleeping, it was just football, football, football.

😀

12 hours ago, Starlight said:

When they weren’t praying, copying religious texts, teaching, helping the poor, tending the sick, washing, cooking, farming and presumably eating and sleeping, it was just football, football, football.

😀

Well yeah....

B)

On 5/16/2018 at 5:51 AM, Starlight said:

😀

I love how all that dedication and meditating equated to TAC 4.  Do you think he will release a work out video next? Geriatrics are a booming population at the moment.

On 14-5-2018 at 4:37 PM, EpicChris said:

Does anyone remember why Bonesaw was given a 50mm base for a 'little guy' striker? Was there ever a design statement on why this was done - or was it 'hey - this'll be hilarious' moment from the design team? The only 'synergy' I see is greater exposure to Unexpected Arrival. Other than that it seems a massive hindrance. I think I'd like to see better synergy with his base size - maybe the Long Legs trait at least. I mean Swift Wind is actively hindered by the base size!

You actually win something (20mm) in terms of range due to you being closer to the goal while still engaging someone.
This could give Bonesaw an advantage in terms of not needing to dodge out of melee range while engaging someone.
Also I think Swift Wind is a compensation for his 50mm base as he can "freely" move over other bases which gives you a possibility to move between a "closed gap" (5 models base to base for instance :P ).

Cheers,