Sign in to follow this  
ningu

The Captain: Devana

33 minutes ago, Silvs said:

On a totally unrelated topic; hey, anyone remembers Midas?

Why is that unrelated?

So "Death from above" is not OPT it is limited by the number of AOEs on  the pitch.

If the model is engaged by "Frelsi", (that is engaged & in an AOE) I see no reason why she should not get the +1 TAC & +1 Damage at 6" range. What do you guys think?

11 minutes ago, The Old Buzzard said:

So "Death from above" is not OPT it is limited by the number of AOEs on  the pitch.

If the model is engaged by "Frelsi", (that is engaged & in an AOE) I see no reason why she should not get the +1 TAC & +1 Damage at 6" range. What do you guys think?

It's not limited, but you do need to spend INF on it.

You would get +2 TAC, +1 DAM (Crowd Out and assist)

24 minutes ago, ningu said:

It's not limited, but you do need to spend INF on it.

You would get +2 TAC, +1 DAM (Crowd Out and assist)

+2 TAC, +2 DMG (Harrier AOE isnt removed until afterwards). She is legit a DMG machine.

A few thoughts.

It seems likely, that Rundaas will also have access to Harrier (since Harrier is OPT while the blog post states Falconers can place a max of three Harrier effects, and Rundaas has a bird on his shoulder like the two known Harrier providers).

Frelsi will have a massive threat range . I think we can safely assume he´ll have "Flying", and I´d be very surprised if he had a base move below 6". "Hack Back" is also not towards Devana. Since he is a huge freaking eagle I also assume he is on the Fahad/Scum/Princess/Buckwheat/etc. side of mascots, i.e. aggressive and damage oriented. Definitely a 1/4" KICK. Really looking forward to next week, since Big Bird seems to be quite important to the team.

As for Devana herself...
- She is not as squishy as I expected her to be based on Mataagi/Minerva. You still don´t want her stuck in a scrum.
- She is fine with both just a couple of inf and fully loaded, depending whether or not you want her in the thick of it or a bit back. Best case activation (Frelsi and Harrier already in position) is awesome and allows her to kill pretty much anything, and even if she has to move either or both she will bring pain. Even if she gets pushed away or dodged away from she can finish with a massive "Death from above" strike if the enemy is within a Harrier AoE.
- She really wants/needs both those Harrier AoEs and Frelsi. But neither is that difficult to get in position thanks to her character plays (and the fact we can place up to 3 Harrier AoEs). She definitely wants to activate late/last and pick her targets carefully though.
- She can move the ball around quite well. The ball carrier needs to be in a Harrier AoE, but Tac 9 means her 4 success tackle is reachable, meaning she can move the ball over 20" in a round. Frelsi goal runs will certainly happen, even if he has 1/4" KICK.

32 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

+2 TAC, +2 DMG (Harrier AOE isnt removed until afterwards). She is legit a DMG machine.

its actually +6 Tac, +2 DMG, death from above adds an extra +4 tac. its a really mean attack, but limited by the templates

Is there any Falconer lore yet?

Really interested to see how they relate to the Sun Father/Moon Goddess worship in the Hunter's Guild. Wouldn't be surprised to find they all hate each other for some reason.

Devana can quite easily kill any model in the game from 6" away and on Legendary turn. She can move 2 templates, make 3 attacks with TAC 11, +2 DMG and even against a 4/1 model, you're looking at 5-8 DMG a hit, plus the 3 DMG from Legendary. She can literally remove an enemy captain if she wants to and they can't stop it.

And of course you can add in ranged Singled Out for MAXIMUM OVERKILL if you want to. Devana might have the highest DMG potential in the game at the moment.

5 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

Devana might have the highest DMG potential in the game at the moment.

Fillet is still the uncontested queen of Damage "Potential." Her ability to AOE Bleed, even if she's just hitting 2 Targets, is 12 Damage that can't be reduced just by hitting bleed and dropping her legendary. That's before any other bloody shenanigans like attacks.

I mean vs 1 target. And Fillet can't really take out captain's that easily. Devana can take out ANY MODEL if she wants to. It just require her WHOLE TEAM to setup. It's a weird ALL or Nothing trade.

That's why I homed in on "potential."

Granted, Devana looks pretty easy to set up, considering she can reposition Frelsi, Harriers, and attack from 6" away, it really looks like she can have free reign over the battlefield, taking down models who would otherwise be protected inside Counter-Charge bubbles, unpredictable and by counter-attacks. I think the hardest part would be figuring out when to pull the trigger. Assist is on its own a HUGE damage amp, and it might not be necessary to eat the Harrier AOE's to get a kill considering you have momentous 3DMG on 1 Hit, 4 times makes 12 damage. You can also apply snared, for an extra 3 damage and snared, making it more likely for you to land that 4.

15 damage in a turn with only a Harrier AOE for setup and no Death from Above.

It might even be worth keeping 2-3 influence on her and just having the last attack be Death from Above to cap off the turn, while the rest of her team uses the rest of the influence.

She's really exciting.

She represents a fascinating tempo conversation with your opponent. If they hold off (e.g. Fillet going last/Smoke going last etc) Devana can severely punish them. If they go early, Devana and co are unprepared and likely to suffer, but not as much as your opponent would like. The fact that she warps the meta game of the turn is intriguing. She is a ticking clock/bomb - how long do you wait before the bomb goes off in your face.

Of course if we learn Fresli is MOV 2/4 it falls apart! :)

1 hour ago, EpicChris said:

It says after this attack its removed so she only gets 1 attack with all the benifits right? 

5 minutes ago, Perry89 said:

It says after this attack its removed so she only gets 1 attack with all the benifits right? 

So you get the benefit of Harrier during the attack and then it is removed. If you want to maintain it - stack 3 AOEs on the target and remove them one by one.

6 minutes ago, Perry89 said:

She can get up to 3 attacks with the benefits (one per AoE). 

# hits dmg results modified possible damage dmg per hit
1 1 3 3 3
2 1 3 3 1.5
3 2 4 4 1.333333
4 2 4 4 1
5 3 5 5 1
6 3,1 5,3 8 1.333333
7 3,1 5,3 8 1.142857
8 3,2 5,4 9 1.125
9 3,2 5,4 9 1
10 3,3 5,5 10 1
11 3,3,1 5,5,3 13 1.181818
12 3,3,1 5,5,3 13 1.083333
13 3,3,2 5,5,4 14 1.076923
14 3,3,2 5,5,4 14 1
15 3,3,3 5,5,5 15 1
16 3,3,3,1 5,5,5,3 18 1.125
17 3,3,3,1 5,5,5,3 18 1.058824
18 3,3,3,2 5,5,5,4 19 1.055556
19 3,3,3,2 5,5,5,4 19 1
20 3,3,3,3 5,5,5,5 20 1

The hits chart tops out at 20 max possible dice to roll on one of her attacks.
Tac 5 +4 DFA, +2 Frensi, +4 other teammates crowding out, +2 eye spy, +2 singled out(grudge match) +1 bonus time.  The tac boosting plan does not affect captains, but if 3 more dice could be found (attacking a def 2 model that is KD, Snare, and Dirty Knives) max possible damage in one hit goes to 24.

Magical christmas graph.  The big damage spike breakpoints where a new wrap starts will be a useful key to unlocking her power.  There are cases where, because of the holes in her playbook, a crowd out or a singled out might not be needed to change her damage output.

Similarly, attacking armored model when you have 11 dice your damage max drops 3 points.  

3 hours ago, EpicChris said:

Devana can quite easily kill any model in the game from 6" away and on Legendary turn. She can move 2 templates, make 3 attacks with TAC 11, +2 DMG and even against a 4/1 model, you're looking at 5-8 DMG a hit, plus the 3 DMG from Legendary. She can literally remove an enemy captain if she wants to and they can't stop it.

And of course you can add in ranged Singled Out for MAXIMUM OVERKILL if you want to. Devana might have the highest DMG potential in the game at the moment.

Tooled Up Ox on his Legendary turn might disagree with that highest damage ceiling - especially if the target is Hooked or under Dirty Knives

Devana looks great but feels in line with other beater Captains.

Ultimately games on the pitch will let us know

7 hours ago, EpicChris said:

She represents a fascinating tempo conversation with your opponent. If they hold off (e.g. Fillet going last/Smoke going last etc) Devana can severely punish them. If they go early, Devana and co are unprepared and likely to suffer, but not as much as your opponent would like. The fact that she warps the meta game of the turn is intriguing. She is a ticking clock/bomb - how long do you wait before the bomb goes off in your face.

Of course if we learn Fresli is MOV 2/4 it falls apart! :)

This works the other way around as well. If you can place your Harrier template where your opponent is likely to want to end up, say over your ball carrier or severely injured model then it can become a game of brinksmanship. How late dare I make my move and risk ending my activation within the Harrier AoE? If I go for the kill on that injured model as my last activation and whiff then can I win the momentum race, or do I go earlier in the turn and risk death from above?