I'm just feeling like chatting but am stuck at work so there's that....

I was thinking about GB and why I play Butchers as my primary team. I am not by any means pro, but I am an enthusiast. I have multiple teams available to me, but I feel that I will always identify as a Butcher. And I was sitting there thinking about why I started with them and why I identify primarily as a Butcher player.

The first is easy. My LFGS was hosting an event and I picked a guild that was as yet un-represented. Further, I am a huge fan of alliteration and my initials are BB. Seriously. That's all it took for me to try them. I never even played a single game / demo or anything. I didn't even see a game played. Just saw the event and knew the people playing and said, "Let's do it."

The second is more complicated. I love variety, which is why I really like GB. When you play a different team you play a different game. Character interactions and synergies and combos are wildly varied. But as much as I read into, paint up, try out or run with another team, I always go back to Butchers after a week or two. I think the reason is that Butchers represent a lot of what I value. On the face of things they are very simple - Bash skulls, repeat. And with the nature of the game there is plenty of complexity and strategy. And there are plenty of things to experiment with and try out. Like load up as much 2" melee as possible. Run an all-girl team. Full bleed. Anti-Armor. Et cetera, et cetera. Heck, I've even tried a series of games where I brought Tenderizer out just to see if he can be a ball chaser. (N-to-the-O. Just don't. Ever. Failed experiments have value when you learn what not to do. This was a waste of time. I have no clue why I bothered. It seemed like a bad idea and it was.) But this is stuff that comes out in almost every team. So: Why keep returning to butchers?

I think I've finally started to figure it out. I've played a LOT of games in my time. I've tried all sorts of weird games, from Clue to Bunnies & Burrows, Shadowrunner in all its forms, video games, board games, gambling, card games, word games... If it can be played I am more than happy to try. All this said, I've played a lot of Games Workshop stuff. I started with 40K in second edition. I've run various armies and I've tried a lot of their spinoffs / specialty games. Of all my gaming, there is one thing that I truly enjoy: Randomness. I know there are a lot of people who hate Random.  But I enjoy it because it is what keeps a game interesting. It's why we roll dice instead of just playing chess. Rather than go with a simple mechanic in game that is entirely reliable (input said effort/action/resource, get exact and known predictable result), I really appreciate what randomness does for us. It grants replayability. Otherwise this game would all but literally be: see opponent's team and know everything from who is being picked, where people at lining up and who is going to win. My favorite faction I've ever played in any game: old school Skaven (rat race in Warhammer Fantasy). Skaven show up with potentially the strongest weapons and creatures on the table. However, most games I've nuked about as many of my models as my opponent. (Total aside: My favorite game ever involved a game where on Turn 1 my Warp Lightning Cannon or my left flank misfired across my entire battle line and took out a huge swathe of my army. The WLC on my right then misfired and took out the first cannon!)

So where does this tie in? To me, the Butchers feel like the most random of the teams I've tried. Our Character Plays sometimes seem the most boring, and our traits are often short. We've only one Heroic. I drool over every new model and card that isn't ours and think: imagine if we could get Harrier, or I wish our team had someone who could move like that. But we don't get the bells and whistles because we have the highest average TAC in the game. Which is rolling the most dice, which is relying on Random to eventually bless us with the I-Didn't-Miss-With-Any-Of-My--Twelve-Dice! at the expense of the mighty He-Shoulda-Been-Dead-Two-Influence-Ago-And-Now-My-Entire-Activation-Is-Wasted-Because-I-Cannot-Roll-Above-A-Three!. It's why vGutter is in the running for the Worst of the Exiles, and yet... she works. Weird, right?

So long ramble, but that's about it for me. I got into Butchers by chance that they start with B, and I keep coming back because you never know for certain where it will end. Well, sorta. "Butchers" ends with an S, but I meant it as a metaphor. A bad metaphor, but you get the point.

Butchers were my first GB team, too (on season 2). I was mostly attracted by their aesthetics. The other teams didn't appeal to me (maybe Engineers, but my brother took them first, XD).

Then, I stopped playing them because they were exhaustingly boring. Surely it was my meta, but I only lost one single game with them. My next team was Hunters, and since then, I haven't stopped playing them.

Also, Butchers is one of the less random team of the game. One strange thing about probability is that the more dice you use, the more the result approaches to the average value (the result with greater odds). High TAC attributes implies high reliability. It's weird but the most random dice throws in the game are Character Play TN and Kick TN tests, so teams that rely on Character Plays and/or have poor Kick attributes are the most random.

I'm seriously thinking of adding Butchers to my collection. I always tend towards the killing game anyway, and always play the glass cannons in my other teams, so not sure what's took me so long tbh as Butchers seem like the perfect fit.

I've played a handful of games with them before, but played my mate last week and really enjoyed it. May take them to a tournament in a couple of weeks.

I’ve recentky jumped into Butchers. At this point the only guilds I haven’t tried are Brewers, Masons, Blacksmiths & Ratcatchers.

My view might be a little jaded as I’ve gone from playing Hunters solidly for the last 3-4 months who are mentally taxing and pretty demanding to play. I’ve really Butchers so far. Ox & Filet provide very different captains, Ox provides a very strong supporting captain who is excellent at brawling. Filet provides a much faster pace of game and can switch to scoring pretty successfully.

The team has some amazing players, Meathook is a fantastic utility player, Boiler can provide some mental damage which little set up & the Briskets are solid strikers. Your flex picks like Shank, Tenderiser, Boar etc allow you to add another solid player to the roster. 

I would 100% reccomend Butchers to anyone. Massively fun, lots of solid players, direct in there approach but have the ability to switch to scoring as well. 

@Priesmal I could have almost have written that post myself. I think you're right about randomness - I prefer to consider it risk vs reward. I too have tried other factions and keep coming back to butchers. I remember when I was playing farmers at the club after the Grange box was released and Jamie P asked me how I was finding them. "Good... but not butchers" I said, "they're just a bit too reliably good, but they lack that chance of a massive burst of damage and the chance of it all going flat on a bad counter attack."

Its that rush you get when Ox goes into Iron on his legendary turn, kills him and half kills hearth, and leaves Hearth and two others with butchery and they aint tough, or when you take a DEF 6 fillet into someone with a double push on 2 hits and you're waiting in hope they don't roll 2 sixes on the counter.

I've played a lot of warhammer, too, but not Skaven. I think I would add that I also tend to enjoy the "run at people and hit them" faction in whatever game I play (Beastmen in warhammer, for example).

I also love meat and do a bit of my own deli-work (sausage making, etc), so that draws me in, too.

Having said all that, falconers look somewhat similar - big potential damage output, flimsy characters - looking forward to trying them out.

Cheerio,

Ben