Banjulhu

Season 4: Expectations, Hopes and Wishlisting

Looking at the latest mascots released (from farmers and onwards) there’s been a marked increase in power compared to earlier mascots, so I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the S1 and S2 mascots are buffed in S4.

I think that is more down to them pushing what the design space of a mascot is rather than an overall buff in power for them. Squeak and Peck feel very much like run of the road mascots.

Then again they could just be behimd the curve. The Exiles and the Faithful do feel a step above most of the rest of their teams.

So season 4 brings a roster size boost for competitive games. Going up to 12 models from 10.

[Sarcasm Mode]

So drop Kraken, vSiren and Horizon and jobs a good 'un?

[/Sarcasm Mode]

11 hours ago, Banjulhu said:

So season 4 brings a roster size boost for competitive games. Going up to 12 models from 10.

[Sarcasm Mode]

So drop Kraken, vSiren and Horizon and jobs a good 'un?

[/Sarcasm Mode]

I was thinking Angel, vSiren and Horizon. 😅

6 minutes ago, Falkman said:

I was thinking Angel, vSiren and Horizon. 😅

It depends that they look like in S4, but these are currently my drops as well.

So knowing what Fathom's and Horizon's rules are going to be what is in Corsair's future?

If he stays as is I can see him having a very rocky future given that his big thing his is ability to changed his focus from a decent 2-2 to a decent 3-0 and even a tricky 0-6 as the game progresses.

Without a 2nd reliable damage dealer though his 2-2 game becomes very tricky meaning he will have to focus down onto a 3-0 plan almost exclusively into a lot of teams at which point counter play becomes a hell of a lot more straight forward for an opponent.

I'm holding out hope that Jac, Kraken, and vetSiren are re-explored. Pretty much all of the players in fish who fit with Corsair's portion of the guild's identity are outdated, underpowered, or both. 

I'm hoping that with navigators focusing on a narrow skew of the fish identity, that means that fish will end up in a slightly broader place. And we have the characters for it, those characters just don't have the rules. Hopefully they rework some of those players and give Corsair some useful tools. Even if it isn't a reskin of gutter. 

I imagine Fish and Navs are going to live in a similar place of 3/0 teams who can flex down to 2/2. It's actually a pretty unique spot in guild ball and while it narrows our win conditions, I'm not opposed to it. I think Corsair is going to maintain a somewhat similar playbook but with only one momentous 2 damage result in the middle of his playbook. He'll also lose one of his traits on the back of his card (I'm hoping it's Close Control). In exchange for all of that, I'm hoping he becomes just about the best ball recovery model in the game and then a scary tar pit to boot. Give him a double push on 3 and swap Stand Firm for something that gives out Close Control. Maybe make him a bit faster, something like 5/7. I'd even like to see Rough Seas have the ability to be triggered from the playbook. So now you have a model that specializes at recovering the ball, passing it to a friendly model who has Close Control, and then standing on the opposing team's most dangerous player and making it almost impossible for them to get after the ball. Last thing I might add is a trait that lets players that receive a pass from him dodge for free, like an inverse Showboating. And at the end of the day, with that playbook, he'll still have the ability switch over to get some take outs without it being his primary approach.

So Shark is your hyper fast, super solo striker who chases down the ball or speeds up his team while Corsair is the center of your team, maneuvering and coordinating the other players while presenting a huge barrier for your opponent to overcome before they can chase down the ball. Both have mechanics in place for take outs thanks to how much reach we have, but the guild is returned to it's original design as THE scoring guild. Meanwhile, Jac gets his playbook smoothed out (thinking a double push on 4 at least, but preferably 3) and Kraken ideally gets 2/3 influence and maybe an aura that debuffs the enemy or forces them to make hard decisions. Something like making it impossible to charge a friendly model that's within 4" of Kraken. The focus being to have a few models that suck other models towards them and away from their lighter but faster strikers.

Just my thoughts, but I like the idea of Fish having a uniquely narrow approach to the game but also being uniquely good at that approach.

A too narrow of a focus would lead to problems with making viable rules for each model in guild. If the team only does one thing well and all models are geared to that end you quickly get a situation where there are clearly superior choices.

I don't know about that. It seems like they've already done an overall good job of balancing a lot of football-oriented models who have different roles. I play every model on the team except for vSiren, Kraken, and Angel with Shark and honestly, each of those models don't need much to get there. If Angel had Ball's Gone rather than Greyscales, she'd suddenly be a great counter to Close Control. If vSiren could toss Dread Gaze onto a friendly model with a smaller TAC debuff, she's suddenly an amazing model to let Shark launch himself more safely. And if Kraken was 5/7 with 2 influence, he'd be a good set up and tide pool model that would pull attention away from Shark. All of these players would have their own mechanics and niches while playing around the same final objective. After all, it's not like Sakana, oSiren, Greyscales, and Jac play even remotely alike but they all support a football game already.

So after listening to the spoiler podcasts I'm starting to suspect oSiren has a nerf of some sort on the way because two big sticking points in the discussions have been SFG wanting to reduce the ranged stand off/non-interactive style gameplay and wanting to balance out pick rates and pushing people away from thinking a model is an auto-include.

I'm not sure if her drop to 2/3 Inf last season will be considered enough of a downgrade when you consider who she competes against for her usual spot, although I'm at a loss as to where else she could be tweeked down

I could see Lure being reduced to range 6” and maybe they take away the ability to trigger her plays from the playbook, but nothing more than that.

Then again Engineers got to keep all of their ranged standoff stuff so who knows.

Just now, Falkman said:

I could see Lure being reduced to range 6” and maybe they take away the ability to trigger her plays from the playbook, but nothing more than that.

But taking away the playbook trigger from Seduced would just force her further into a stand off style of play and undoes the reason of her previous nerft to 2/3 Inf which was designed, in part, to force us into putting her into combat to get work done with Seduced

1 hour ago, Falkman said:

Then again Engineers got to keep all of their ranged standoff stuff so who knows.

They kept it but the range has decreased a bit. Blast earth lost 2.5" of range 

3 hours ago, GutAndString said:

What a let down.

It is, however a new play book could make it work if the GB is combined with a dodge for example at which point it is effectively a bonus whilst you reposition.

Stagger only sucks in Fish in S3 because firstly it is too high up Shark's book and secondly neither he nor his go to team need to drop enemy Def to get work done.

5 hours ago, Falkman said:

Looking forward to seeing how everyone will react to the changes tonight!

If history is anything to go by I will be extremely sarcastic.

58 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

If history is anything to go by I will be extremely sarcastic.

Haha what?! 😜

I hope you are excited about Corsair’s new legendary!

4 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

Sod Corsair, I have had no excuse to moan about Salt for two years now. A man has needs.

Well the new tap-in rules should have you covered then! I wonder if they will give him anything to offset that incidental nerf. Loved creature getting better is a nice touch but I doubt it will mean that much for him.

Banjulhu's hot takes

A massive buff for Kraken, side-grades and nerfs for everyone else.

9 minutes ago, Falkman said:

So how about that legendary huh? Pretty excited to be able to drag someone in AND kill them in one activation!

Yes if the person he is hitting is on the lowest end of the hp scales (ie most mascots a few Spooks and oSiren) otherwise I don't think Corsair alone can do it in most situations as he will only average damage of 2 per attack in an environment where most models have about 13+ hp on average. Beyond that I'm struggling to see what he brings to better enables a 3-0 game.

oSiren has been reduced to having a 4" range Seduced, I assume because SFG want her to die every game.

At least Jac's book is no longer dumb as fuck but I think he will need some table time to see where he fits in

Angel is still a one trick pony and still going to be benched for Sakana 99% of the time.

Greyscales of all models got a little bit better.

Kraken and some reworked damage on sakana1 are the highlights I think. I think Kraken is going to be a real staple.  Even if we werent prepping for 12 man rosters, he makes every 10. Corsair seems exciting but I'll want to play around with him a bit more. 

Angel is definitely better. And I see her having alot more relevance then before. But with sakana1 picking up better damage, I don't see her making many fish lineups. 

Initial reaction to Jac is...huh? He seems worse. Actively worse. And he was already not seeing play.  Maybe the speed boost is relevant? Or without close control on Corsair his counter attack makes him the place to put the ball? Hes a big disappointment for me. Hopefully I just need to play a bit and see what he does. 

Also, now that Skatha is changed, Shark has the worst play on a captains card. He's still good. And he'll win plenty. I'll keep playing him like 70% of the time. But why God why does he have stagger on 3? When is it ever the result you're trying for? Its not a rhetorical question I honestly need someone to tell me what it's for.