el009

Season 4: rebalance of Spooks

Scalpel loses the ability to move someone more than 4”, but she gains a lot of shenanigans in terms of control - disengaging cosset, generating her own crowd outs, dragging people through AoEs, all sorts of fun!

But no more kicking to the wing and hauling someone off the side of the pitch. New plan time!

I'll be hopefully getting in a couple games this weekend with her. She definitely will take some table time to get used to. I think her Strings add a lot of choices that may be a strain on clock play with all the choices. Really dig the new play style and cant wait to get her on the field. The evil plans are emerging already.

On 9/7/2018 at 2:03 PM, Mako said:

Scalpel loses the ability to move someone more than 4”, but she gains a lot of shenanigans in terms of control - disengaging cosset, generating her own crowd outs, dragging people through AoEs, all sorts of fun!

But no more kicking to the wing and hauling someone off the side of the pitch. New plan time!

Yeah, she has a maximum push distance of 4" in a turn. I was about to argue but re-read the card. 'Strings' is OPT.

I can see all the options she creates eating up clock time. "So much to learn, so little time!"  

(Extra brownie points if you know where that quote is from!)

Morts didn’t need to be able to drag players off the pitch. They needed a captain to compliment obulus. That’s what they have now. 

My opponents have already stopped counter attacking her cause it never works.

shes a little less mobile than before but brings way more control to the pitch.  In a game heavily focussed on precise positioning, being able to relocate 4-6 models a turn (or more) seems strong.

see a model is setting up for a goal run? Wouldn’t it be a shame if they were further back. 

That captain that’s about to unload on one of your players? Trap him in a triangle of his own players so he wastes his stack.

so much janky stuff we can do

She seems much stronger now, with tooled up she's able to delete most of the squaddies in a singla activation generating a lot of MP and also repositioning quite a few players at the same time. Sounds nice. She's not a super-solo captain but close AND she has some nasty tricks up her sleeve. I like that ;)

Let's hope that Morticians keep Tooled Up then. :)

From a Season 3 perspective, I'd say we keep it because of the generally low TAC in perspective to the playbook results you want models to achieve, but who knows how Season 4 Mortician squaddies will shape up. A Tooled Up Season 4 Scalpel won't be able to take out any squaddy in a single activation, but a lot of them. I think that's fair considering how much Influence you invest and playing Scalpel means that you can't go for just goals, so you need those TOs. Control is good, but it has to translate into VPs somehow eventually.

You can hit :mom2: 6 times somewhat reliably and add heroic AoE on top of that. That's up to 14 dmg with no setup... I'm starting to like her :D

1 hour ago, el009 said:

You can hit :mom2: 6 times somewhat reliably and add heroic AoE on top of that. That's up to 14 dmg with no setup... I'm starting to like her :D

If she can go last with tooled up, kill someone, then murder someone first activation and get the hell Out. Yeah, just a little pumped for her

Ratcatchers post gives us a few clues about what's coming our way. 

Skulk gets reachable KD (4th column, doable with charge or parting blow) and loses Goal Rats, nice change, I like that.

Bonesaw gets free jog at the start of his activation.

VGraves lost gravedigger, KD+:GB: on 2 hits.

11 hours ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

and gains Close Control.

9 hours ago, S_A_T_S said:

and gains new ability Exhaustion:

exhaust.JPG?format=500w

And, as long as Graves1 has Tooled Up and veteran doesn't, it will be hard to justify taking him. I'd like to see his final card...

Aye, I don’t take oGraves much myself (don’t like him if I’m not out fighting people, and since I usually face brewers that’s always!). Exhaustion and close control seem more useful for me. Not always, but I can see some useful stuff going on with a ball team. 

I take oGraves more for his tackle on 1 than anything else on his card. Running him plus VHemlocke has made it hard for my opponent to kill the ball on anyone. I only ever use his Tool up on Turn 1. So if he loses that for something else more fun I wouldn't be upset.

With the S4 Scalpel being able to reposition them to provide crowd outs for her has been pretty nice as well. 

I have so much playtesting to do now! Good changes overall, what are your thoughts? Who's out of 12 now? I guess B&M are benched for now but others? Hard to tell...

Overall, I'm very happy with the changes. They really seemed to give a lot of the models that needed attention, attention. This should enable a lot more diversity in terms of picks and team comps. In general, it seems Morticians have a few more options for enabling damage and take-outs (e.g., vGraves KD + Arm reduction, +1 Tac for easier singled-outs on Dirge, Dirge tag-along, Vileswarm + vGraves synergy), without being as reliant on fragile set-ups on the pitch to secure take-outs. Some of my favorite changes besides the obvious ones (i.e., models like vGraves, Bonesaw, Vileswarm getting buffed) are:

-Foul Odor/Noxious Blast not affecting friendly models
-Cosset getting the Back to the Shadows and losing Crazy so she she is not such a liability

It is really a lot to take in, so I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what the "12" would be like, since the number of underwhelming models made those choices fairly obvious. Now, there are so many more reasonable options.

I actually don’t really feel like Bonesaw got an outright buff, so much as a role change. He lost speed in favour of an easier tackle and better def. So he’s no longer going to provide me with the crazy goal runs he did in almost every game, and instead spend more time trying to retrieve the ball. 

Some nice changes, but also a few that will make scoring goals harder for me in some respects. Definitely positive for takeouts, but my usual goal based plan against brewers just got a nasty leg wound!

But of course it needs a lot of testing before I write bonesaw off for no longer doing what I want :D

(and I’m already working out what I can do with him instead, given the other changes to the morticians, so I’m not saying it’s a nerf. Sidegrade, to my eyes. And depending on how things gel, it could even work out better in the long run for me!)

13 minutes ago, Mako said:

I actually don’t really feel like Bonesaw got an outright buff, so much as a role change. He lost speed in favour of an easier tackle and better def. So he’s no longer going to provide me with the crazy goal runs he did in almost every game, and instead spend more time trying to retrieve the ball. 

Some nice changes, but also a few that will make scoring goals harder for me in some respects. Definitely positive for takeouts, but my usual goal based plan against brewers just got a nasty leg wound! 

But of course it needs a lot of testing before I write bonesaw off for no longer doing what I want :D

Yeah, his changes were hard for me to evaluate. He seems far more reliable than he used to be, but sort of linear in his play. From the looks of it, he didn't seem quite like a super-striker, such as Mist used to be for the team. Reaffirms my thoughts that Layne would be the strongest draft for us in the Free Cities event. Morticians have a lot of mid-range players, but I think would still benefit from a super-striker.

21 minutes ago, Mako said:

He lost speed in favour of an easier tackle and better def.

Lost speed? How is 10"/12" less than 6"/8"? Or did you miss Stamina?

22 minutes ago, Sid said:

Lost speed? How is 10"/12" less than 6"/8"? Or did you miss Stamina?

As @Falkman said, 8” sprint and 2x4” dodges goes down to 7” sprint and 5” jog.

It’s more reliable and less inf/mom hungry, but it’s quite definitely slower (and more vulnerable to burning, rough ground etc), to the tune of 4”. That would have been enough quite a few times to leave him out of range in my games, and in my experience even at def5 he doesn’t last long when he’s in tackling people  :)

Okay, I was ecstatic about most of the changes until I looked a little closer. Obviously games matter most, but Bonesaw’s Dervish just makes me sad. Even if it whiffed on me more often than it didn’t. (For me at least.) Swift Wind not requiring momentum swems like a fairly big deal, as is gaining an extra Tac.

It seems like he’s been made more reliable at the cost of a little of his ceiling plus some things that made him unique imo.

I didn’t realize Cosset lost Crazy, which makes me feel very conflicted. It might have been overkill most games, but it was exciting. Back to the Shadows is huge, no doubt about it. But... man I dunno, there really isn’t anything in this game like rolling 12+ dice on a length 5 playbook.

I think Silence looks good but, “Tenacity,” could’ve been named better imo. This is 10/10 nitpick I know.

Dirge seems to have gotten real good, but I’m not sure what to make of vGraves and Vileswarm.

Everyone else is as good as they’ve ever been with Scalpel primed to lead the perfect team of murder ladies! Wish I could get a hold of her.