Sign in to follow this  
Chriscdoa

Who to Drop?

Unlike other guilds Rats only have 1 captain, mascot and 8 players total. So there's no discussion on captain into other guilds.

But since we only ever drop 2 players - there can be a discussion on who to drop into other guilds...

Generally here are some drops/combinations, but i'm not going into who're they're good into yet...

Most 2" melee - Drop Pellage and Bonesaw

Best kick - Drop Skulk and Scourge

Max damage - Drop Bonesaw and Skulk

Survivability - Drop bonesaw and Pellage

So what do people think the best 4s are into the different guilds? Or is it always Bonesaw if receiving and never if kicking...

and of course for some its captain dependant

I'll try one...

Fish (either) - need 2" melee and goal threat counter, so Miasma, Scourge, V Graves, Skulk. 

For me it is always matchup dependent like you said. Smoke is the absolute worst for us because of the auto damage and hard to clear so I usually don't bring disease that matchup. Esters is the same type of situation but I still bring Scourge because I feel like I need some type of damage output. Skulk normally stays in for my goal oriented teams because of a low momentous double dodge, allowing him to bounce between models and build up enough for a bonus time. I am still trying to build a solid 6 but every time i play a new team it causes me to switch up.

Played graves2, bonesaw, scourge, and skulk into esters, dog, spig1, vet deci, stoker, and pint pot last night and got 2 goals plus a snack-digger take-out on decimate. Opponent hide the ball very well and made life difficult so had to get drastic. 

Rats are a very fun group but also very difficult to choose and will punish you for wrong choices. 

I disagree about not playing scourge/miasma into smoke. Miasma clears conditions and scourge can kill anyone on alchs (including vkat)

1 hour ago, Mattyg2787 said:

I disagree about not playing scourge/miasma into smoke. Miasma clears conditions and scourge can kill anyone on alchs (including vkat)

If Smoke has last activation, Miasma clearing conditions doesn't really matter. Additionally, she will probably loose 4 life every maintenance phase (disease + burning + poison). She can do a lot of nice stuff, but she's risky into Alchs in my opinion.

Scourge is a better pick (hard to kill even with conditions on him), as long as he's able to reach any Alchs models. Then the killing starts. The question is, how many he'll reach. Should be difficult for him with burning and Alch trying to avoid close combat.

I strongly disagree. Have played 6ish games into good smoke players. Only loss I’ve had was him going 3-0 with a low odds charge into skulk to seal the win (singled out of. Mercury for the counter attack to tackle back or pest control)

1 hour ago, Mattyg2787 said:

I strongly disagree. Have played 6ish games into good smoke players. Only loss I’ve had was him going 3-0 with a low odds charge into skulk to seal the win (singled out of. Mercury for the counter attack to tackle back or pest control)

So what is you 6? Having 2 games into them and having to work my ass off for any points is really an uphill battle. 

3 hours ago, Mattyg2787 said:

Can you provide more insight into your games against Smoke?  What was your line up and what worked against Smoke.  On paper, it looks like they can beat down Rats by playing the long game with their conditions.

Sorry.

my 6 in my last game was miasma, scourge, skulk and bonesaw.

I’ve  also tried with vgraves as well. Pelage is terrible because Losing health without any of her positives is rough. She dies to a stiff breeze.

the biggest thing is you need to win fast. Kick with piper and start the pressure immediately. Reverie on bonesaw from the kick off let’s him threaten a large amount of board space. Piper is a legit goal threat as well.

skulk is on goalie duty. He can’t stop smoke but he can slow her down with horrific odour. And vitriol hates him.

Rats in general don’t like being on the defensive. You can’t play that Chicago style of slowly grinding out. You need to play drunken master style of our first world champ and get points quick.

Because they can’t play football at all. And we can straight up kill faster than alchs can. 

And even with diseased, we can still stay ahead on the momentum race and keep our guys healed. 

I agree I think Bonesaw is a terrible option - Smoke and Naja both have Unpredictable Movement which Bonesaw can't deal with (HINT HINT SFG...) so I would probably take the 2" melee team into this. I played one game with Pelage and kept her on a wing with not much on her she lived and caused annoyance late game (and is an excellent Reverie target). I agree her 10 boxes is probably a dream to Alchemists. But she is also a serious threat if not taken out as she can put out a lot of hurt and conditions if she can get to vKat or Mercury.

Definitely have to go Full Throttle though - get into them asap and start the pain or else Smoke plays football and wrecks through conditions. The +1 to kick/receive will help - if you get the ball (and stop Vitriol scoring with it) then Smoke has to come forward and that's to the Rat's advantage. 

29 minutes ago, Michał said:

Seems you have almost no problems against one of Ratcatcher's toughest matchups. Sounds good.

It happens. I've battered The Corsair List four out of four times, with 'smiths, Morts (x2), and Hunters. but I cannot beat, literally, anyone else. It's challenging being so niche :( :lol: 

edit - I will probably be picking up the rat today so keep the good stuff coming. 

Feel like the alchs convo kind of got us off topic but, I'd like to continue it anyways. 

Best case scenario is receive and score turn one, right? But with who, Bonesaw is a really bad drop into alchs for the reasons mentioned above. Once we solve that puzzle then smoke has the ball after rats score. Now she and her team blast whoever is in range for a turn putting out decent damage and conditions. Turn 2 is legendary and condition turn, followed by a Vet Kat charge somewhere. If Kat gets the witness me that puts the score 6-4 Rats. At this point, Rats need a goal bad, If smoke has already gone then great, go get the ball using Pipers heroic and haunting melody. 2 goals and a takeout (with Kat offing himself) should be doable. But again that is best case scenario.

If you kick, I don't see how piper and co. make it into their lines without dying. I hear the fast and aggressive approach, I just want a little more detail to go with it. Having tried this 3 times now it doesn't add up.   

I see the opening play out as follows, based on the games I have played:

Receive:  Score turn 1, potentially lose the model that scored, snap back goal is a possibility, but Rats can take out the opposing scorer if the scorer gets in to close.  If the scoring model can score from a distance and stay outside of 9", the Rats might not be able to get the take out. 

- A bad opening plays out like this:  Rats score turn one, lose their scoring model.  Opponent kicks out and kills a model going in for the score.  Score is 8-4.

Kicking:  Set up on the edge and kick the ball along the edge and work towards an early take out via push off or push back to your side to take out the retrieving model.

I think the Rats have a good opening, but then in mid game, their 9" base threat starts to play against them if they cannot get the ball.  

Why would they score back immediately? Alchs will hide the ball, wittle you down with Conditions/Katalyst2 and only when they have reached 8 VP will Smoke try to score.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:19 PM, Chriscdoa said:

Drop ... Bonesaw

Drop Bonesaw 

Drop bonesaw 

giphy.gif