Sign in to follow this  
Jotnebane

Taken out by Grim Caress damage

If a model with 3 or less HP ends it activation engaging Pelage the model takes 3 damage.

This damage then leads to the model being taken out.

Rats/morts would then get 2 VP for the takeout, but no momentum as the take-out is not the result an action by the an active Pelage.
Is this correct?

Momentum generated for causing a take out it generated by the damaging model, whether or not they're active.  Consider the following example:

edit: ignore this post it's wrong

Vileswarm is hit by Silence's Fire Blast, reducing them to 0 hit points.  Vileswarm's Noxious Death is triggered and Harmony is within 3" so she suffers 3 damage.  This damage is enough to reduce Harmony to 0 hit points and she is also take out.  The Morticians gain 1 momentum because damage caused by Vileswarm took out Harmony.  No one gains momentum for Vileswarm being taken out because both the taken out model, Vileswarm, and the damaging model, Silence, are friendly to the Morticians.  During the next maintenance phase, Brick who was also hit by Fire Blast and Noxious Death, suffers 3 condition damage, enough to take him out.  Because condition damage is not caused by any model, not even the model that inflicted the damage, no model generates momentum for taking out Brick so no momentum is generated.

In the example you describe, Pelage would generate 1 momentum for her team for the take out.

@Jotnebanehas it correct in their original post. You would not gain MP for taking a model out without the cause being from the action of an active model.

This ruling remains extant:

I think I understand where I was mistaken.

In the example I gave where Silence hits Vileswarm to 0 hit points Noxious Death brings Harmony to 0 hit points, Silence is the active model when Harmony is taken out.

Is it correct that Vileswarm does not inflict the taken out condition on Harmony because it's never active during this sequence?

Is it correct that Silence does not inflict the taken out condition on Harmony because the damage was dealt by Vileswarm?

You are correct Mechmage.

Noxious Death is a passive trait and so not an action. Because of this Vileswarm doesn't become active so has not inflicted taken out and doesn't gain the MP.

Silence is not the model causing Harmony to be taken out, therefore hasn't inflicted taken out and doesn't gain the MP.