Snow

Rage into Smoke - Do you take Grace?

My usual six is
Rage, Strongbox, Benediction, Gutter, Decimate, Mist

I have swapped Mist out for Grace receiving into Smoke, but found it less effective than my usual six. This is in an admittedly small pool of games. At the moment I'm erring on taking my usual six into Smoke. I know about AOE clearing and healing, but I find it's less important than goal threat and ball killing with mist. Smoke can still do her legendary unimpeded and the other turns don't seem impactful enough to switch up from my normal team

Am I missing something? What six do you take with Rage into Smoke?

I would swap Mist for Grace in that situation.. Even if all she does each turn is removes an aoe and heals a little that will disrupt the general Smoke gameplan enough to be of value.. 

Whether or not you need Mist depends heavily on whether you are kicking or not.  I'd never kick without him.  I'd switch out Decimate or Benediction for Grace against Alchemists.

4 hours ago, Redmaw said:

I would swap Mist for Grace in that situation.. Even if all she does each turn is removes an aoe and heals a little that will disrupt the general Smoke gameplan enough to be of value.. 

Who do you use for ball killing in that set up? 1" melee, tackle on 2 rather than 1, no skilled within shadow, Def 4 and slightly less mobility all make Grace weaker than Mist. 

The one time I tried this I ended up conceding 3 goals to smoke. 

34 minutes ago, MechMage said:

Whether or not you need Mist depends heavily on whether you are kicking or not.  I'd never kick without him.  I'd switch out Decimate or Benediction for Grace against Alchemists.

Do you think it's worth losing decimate's damage output or Benny's solidity in midfield?

If I lose decimate I'm looking for four takeouts relying almost entirely on gutter and rage for damage, I'm sure it's doable but I'll definitely miss decimate!

And Benediction just feels like a super reliable linchpin, as well as another 2" melee into smoke

I'm grateful for the advice, just trying to get an idea of how it works in practise for you

24 minutes ago, Snow said:

Who do you use for ball killing in that set up? 

Anyone, put it on the turtle if you need to... Playing against Smoke the priority is preventing her from doing her thing while racking up some points your own way... She has limited options to throw down aoe templates and if you remove on one of them it's a massive detriment to her battle plan... 

I wouldn’t be trying to kill the ball. I’d be trying to score as fast as possible and take out a few people on the way. I’d definitely be keeping Decimate.

I think you could afford to swap Gutter for Grace. I wouldn’t want to lose Benediction’s Impart Wisdom when using Rage. Grace really turns Mist’s speed up and brings Purity and her Inf efficiency as well.

It depends what Smoke takes.  I think if she drops either Katalyst it's frankly rude not to take oGutter.  I've come to have a love/hate relationship with Decimate.  She isn't the best at anything but she's the second best at about three things so she's a solid addition to any team.  She isn't the core of any game plan however so more often than not I drop her.  Benediction is a great player to have at the heart of a scrum.  That doesn't do much good if a scrum doesn't end up forming and at that point he's a slow body that isn't earning you VP.  For that reason I think he's droppable in the Smoke match up, especially if you have Grace motivating Mist.

Good points. One thing I have found is that Decimate is amazing with the “Kick ‘Em When They’re Down” game plan. I’ve had it done to me a number of times (my regular Alchemist player generally uses something along the lines of Smoke, Flask, Vitriol, Compound, vKat/oKat and Decimate).

14 hours ago, Starlight said:

One thing I have found is that Decimate is amazing with the “Kick ‘Em When They’re Down” game plan. 

Under heroic/legendary, not that difficult to set up tac 8, anatomical, mom 4 on 2!

Some good ideas, thanks. Will have to try them before my next tourney. Ended up missing the one I was supposed to do today :(