Sign in to follow this  
DanB

Considering dabbling with the Union

I realised the other day that I now have 4 union minis in my collection. I thought it would be fun to pick up a captain and mascot and play them as Union (particularly given they will eventually only be playable as part of a Union team).

I have: Mist, Decimate, Harry, Gutter

So my question is: Which Captain/Mascot combos would work well with this team? I want to avoid Brisket since she will be leaving the Union.

26 minutes ago, DanB said:

I have: Mist, Decimate, Harry, Gutter

If you purchase the vRage box you will end up with a fieldable tournament 10, although I would also probably suggest getting the LE A&G in the sale to replace Snakeskin with in that lineup.. 

After that it would be worth getting Benediction but you could probably wait till the official "Order" boxed set releases as you already have the two cross players from the union side.. 

You could go in any number of directions. Track down a Blackheart model and your choice of mascot, and with those 4 models you’ve got a footballing team which doesn’t mind taking out a few of the opposition on the way.

Pick up Brisket, and either Pride or Coin and you’ll have a good, fast footballing team which can still pick up plenty of momentous damage with Decimate and Gutter.

Grab the Veteran Rage box and you’ll have a team which is suddenly geared very well to fighting the opposition, with Strongbox and Rage boosting the fighting power of your team. Snakeskin is good in a V Rage team - she’s amazing for holding onto the ball with Nimble, Clone and Shadowlike and is certainly fast enough to score some goals herself.

If you pick up the Solthecius boxed set you’ll two of Mist and 2 of Harry (though in Harry’s case they’re different sculpts), but you’ll get S Brisket, Pride, Grace and Benediction as well. Seasoned spigot and Veteran Fangtooth aren’t too far away either.

Thanks @Redmaw

I am not looking to make any major purchases right now (I have spent a lot on GB in recent months and have a lot of painting to do!). My question really is whether I can have a decent game with Mist/Harry/Decimate/Gutter, and if so who are the best choices out of Blackheart/vRage/Coin/Strongbox.

From reading, Blackheart doesn't seem to get much love (why is this, he looks fun to me?). Then Strongbox seems to be the standard option for vRage, but with coin offering a less spectacular but potentially more reliable/consistent option.

One thing I'm thinking of is, as you say @Starlight picking up Coin/Blackheart now/soon, leaving the vRage box as a long term option.

Decimate and Gutter are solid choices against pretty much anyone. They’re fast, with high Tac. Both are quite capable of laying down the hurt or retrieving a ball, and don’t make terrible strikers if the situation arises. Speaking of strikers, Mist is a striker beyond compare, particularly if you’ve got a Solthecian to trigger his Motivated (Solthecian) trait for the Shadow Like dodge. He doesn’t mind attacking someone hiding in cover (he gains +2 Tac, for a +1 Tac net result), and starting his advance in cover just makes him faster again.

Harry isn’t bad but I think Benediction is better. Harry’s Inspiring Hat is a handy trait to have, and his 2” melee and early playbook pushes are great, but he is quite easy to hit and only has 1 armour. Compare this to Benediction, who has an extra armour point, the same early pushes and triggers Mist’s Shadow Like, whilst also providing excellent support with the CPs Braced and Stand Firm and the traits Impart Wisdom and Poised. Regenerate is a bonus.

Personally, I love Blackheart. He’s great fun to use. He isn’t as fighty as Rage or as footbally as Brisket, but combines elements of both. He has a cracking Legendary Play and a fantastic playbook, along with some handy CPs and Shadow Like. His 2” melee is great and although he has a fairly low Def 3, he has 2 armour to offset that.

Yeah, I'm going to give him a shot. I have a friend selling a spare Coin, and am in the process of tracking down a Blackheart. I like this option because it leaves the vRage box as a sensible purchase later.

I know Benny is a very good piece, and once more minor Guilds come out I will start thinking about fleshing out my Union properly - for now I just wanted to put a fun team together for casual games.