Sign in to follow this  
Sudobyte

SF Email: Announcing the End of Metals

Copy/pasted from an email SteamForged just sent out, for those of you that didn't get it/haven't seen it:

Announcing the end of metals!

eacc762e-cd9f-4870-b173-5e0f92d6ca53.jpg
Steamforged Games has a great history of innovation with our products and we’re excited to announce the next step. As we touched on during our recent Indiegogo campaign our metal molds are reaching the end of their lifecycle. We wanted to offer the opportunity to transition these classic guilds into the plastic medium but, the community response was overwhelming in their desire for new guilds instead, as opposed to our classic guilds renewed. With the release of the Ratchater's Guild and the soon to be release of the Falconer's we’ve heard you loud and clear and will continue to release these new and exciting guilds. However, we still needed a solution for our classic guilds.

We’re happy to announce that over the course of the next 24 months, as our metal production molds reach the end of their life cycle, we will be transitioning the classic guilds to “The Legacy Collection”. The retirement of the metal major guilds will coincide with the release of their associated minor guild, ensuring that new and veteran players alike will continue to have meaningful in-store purchase options.

This announcement should give all players the opportunity to pick up any metal miniatures they may wish before the changeover as these products will still be available from your LGS. 

The transition will also help us to ensure that retailers are only expected to have the newest most exciting stock on their shelves without burying them under a backstock of slower moving products.

We hope you are excited about this new development as we are.

Thank you!

FAQ:
What is the Legacy Collection?
The Legacy Collection is our way of re-visiting the iconic characters of Guild Ball – giving them a fresh lease of life for old and new players to the game.  They will be produced in high quality, alternate sculpt coloured resin matching their PVC counterparts and available directly from SFG webstore or any LGS that decides to support this direct range.

When are they available?
Each Legacy Collection team will be released to coincide with their relevant Minor Guild release – so as of 12pm on Friday 4th May you can pre-order The Mortician's: Master of Puppets and The Mortician's: Strings of the Spirit Weaver in resin from our webstore!
Please note – these are Pre-Order items and we expect high demand. Due to the nature of their production there may be an increased turnaround time that we anticipate may increase delivery times by up to 30 days.

Following on from this, the Legacy Collection Hunter's teams will be available to order alongside next months' the Falconer's Guild: Daughter of Falcons releases. This will continue until all existing metal teams are cycled out.

Retailers will still be able to order the Legacy Collection direct from SFG if they wish to continue stocking the new range

Will the classic guilds still be playable? 
The classic guilds will continue to be a valid playable option as well as valid purchase option.

Will we see a transition away from the pre-assembled plastic teams? 
No. Our pre-assembled plastic is still the best in the industry and the massive growth we’ve seen from our player base since its introduction means we’re on the right path. However, resin offers greater flexibility in terms of production run and mold longevity when compared to metal for slower turn items such as the classic guilds.

Will “The Legacy Collection” come with all the accessories we’re seeing in the new plastic guilds? 
“The Legacy Collection” kits will come with an exclusive goal, terrain, ball, as well as player cards. However, they will not come with the card punchboards that currently come with our plastic ranges. These accessories are available through our licensed partners.

14 minutes ago, Polipotent said:

Question:  "LGS that decides to support this direct range", does that mean my LGS has to order it directly from Steamforged? 

Probably, but I'd be surprised if  your LGS was made to pay full price for the minis.  I'm wondering what the price point on these new teams is going to be. 

Wow these sculpts look great! Hopefully the price point is right, and hopefully they offer the much-requested two-player minor guild pack. 

If this is what we get instead of PVC guilds, color me excited!

Need to know price point soon as possible so I can weigh up whether it is better to buy the metals or wait for resins.

Don't like the name Legacy Collection. Instantly makes me ask "Are major guilds being phased out/no longer the core teams of the game?". They are called the MAJOR guilds, as opposed to the MINOR guilds but are now considered 'Legacy' models, which in generally used to refer to old, OOP products.

Yeah... my local store said that they're going to be sending back the metal guilds to steamforged soon and if you don't order now you're out of luck, considering all the minor guilds will take years to release does this mean I just won't be able to buy any of the older guilds in store? That seems not very newbie friendly.

2 hours ago, Sudobyte said:
We’re happy to announce that over the course of the next 24 months, as our metal production molds reach the end of their life cycle, we will be transitioning the classic guilds to “The Legacy Collection”. The retirement of the metal major guilds will coincide with the release of their associated minor guild, ensuring that new and veteran players alike will continue to have meaningful in-store purchase options.

This announcement should give all players the opportunity to pick up any metal miniatures they may wish before the changeover as these products will still be available from your LGS.

So does this mean that metal morticians will disappear from the Steamforged webstore from tomorrow? And metal hunters will be taken off the webstore on 15 June?

Would metal Union teams disappear from the webstore on 20 July when the Faithful box (completing Union minor guild) is launched?

ps. Now that resin is coming back, would anyone else like to see a re-release in resin of the Kickstarter alt captains and 2014 Ltd. Boiler? There must be a lot of new players who've come into the game in the last couple of years and a limited second-hand stock of those sculpts now.

Sell terrain packs, SFG. Please. I want you to have my money.

Also, I know I’m not the only person disappointed this isn’t a means to get singles, but it is what it is. Pride in particular is screwy.

Is the Exiles and the Faithful still going to be metal and will they get the resin alt-sculpt treatment?

2 hours ago, Akai said:

Is the Exiles and the Faithful still going to be metal and will they get the resin alt-sculpt treatment?

They will be Metal, they was In Production before the switch over.

12 hours ago, S_A_T_S said:

Need to know price point soon as possible so I can weigh up whether it is better to buy the metals or wait for resins.

Don't like the name Legacy Collection. Instantly makes me ask "Are major guilds being phased out/no longer the core teams of the game?". They are called the MAJOR guilds, as opposed to the MINOR guilds but are now considered 'Legacy' models, which in generally used to refer to old, OOP products.

The naming is a bit strange, I agree, but no Guilds/models are being phased out. SFG said early on that there is a finite number of models for each Guild, but everything would be playable for as long as people are playing. 

The timing on the pre-order sucks balls for me - I'm setting off on a 2hr drive to Wales at about midday!

I see the morticians up on the US store now at $80 USD, Knowing what other companies charge for their resin lines of minis I was honestly a little worried they would be more.   Gonna get my pre order game on when pay day hits.  I'm  glad I was holding off on buying the metal teams, I know some folks think it's blasphemy but I prefer plastic/ resin over metal. Mostly because I'm clumsy

12 minutes ago, ItsBurgertime said:

I'm  glad I was holding off on buying the metal teams, I know some folks think it's blasphemy but I prefer plastic/ resin over metal. Mostly because I'm clumsy

Not worried about the resin being fragile and prone to breaking?

2 minutes ago, Jotnebane said:

I’ve not had that issue with the original SFG resins, or in fact with most other companies’ resins (a few have, it’s true). Brittle resin isn’t very common any more, and the lower weight usually means there’s not enough force to break or bend them if they are knocked over. I’ve had way more metals break in transit or on the table than resins  :)

19 minutes ago, Jotnebane said:

Not really,  like @Mako said,  Resin's not as brittle as some people would have you believe,  I'm mostly concerned about while painting. was recently painting some hunters for a friend and knocked one over on my table, not only did  V.Hernes arm fall off, but a bunch of the paint on the staff also chipped off. 

3 hours ago, ItsBurgertime said:

Not really,  like @Mako said,  Resin's not as brittle as some people would have you believe,  I'm mostly concerned about while painting. was recently painting some hunters for a friend and knocked one over on my table, not only did  V.Hernes arm fall off, but a bunch of the paint on the staff also chipped off. 

Did you wash them before priming? I've been going through my backlog and I got most of the engineers in resin before it was discontinued originally (except Colossus dammnit) and my Salvo and Ballista are just covered in release agent. If you don't wash this stuff off the paint won't adhere properly. I haven't had issues with any of my other resins chipping. And while I haven't had any issues with brittleness some of them are fragile due to how overly dynamic some of the earlier sculpts are. I changed the pose (so it looks like she's skidding) of my Velocity because I was worried about having a single point of attachment, that tiny ankle joint looked like it would break if subjected to a light breeze. I was right as well, I messed up gluing her other leg to the base (it looked attached but it wasn't) and it just snapped while I was painting. Was an easy enough fix and it's sturdy enough now I've glued both legs down but damn if I hadn't changed the pose it would not stay intact for long.

Worried that Salvo is going to be just as bad but at least his leg is a little thicker. Fortunately it looks like these resculpts are sturdier designs.

1 hour ago, Rejusu said:

Did you wash them before priming? I've been going through my backlog and I got most of the engineers in resin before it was discontinued originally (except Colossus dammnit) and my Salvo and Ballista are just covered in release agent. If you don't wash this stuff off the paint won't adhere properly. I haven't had issues with any of my other resins chipping. And while I haven't had any issues with brittleness some of them are fragile due to how overly dynamic some of the earlier sculpts are. I changed the pose (so it looks like she's skidding) of my Velocity because I was worried about having a single point of attachment, that tiny ankle joint looked like it would break if subjected to a light breeze. I was right as well, I messed up gluing her other leg to the base (it looked attached but it wasn't) and it just snapped while I was painting. Was an easy enough fix and it's sturdy enough now I've glued both legs down but damn if I hadn't changed the pose it would not stay intact for long.

Worried that Salvo is going to be just as bad but at least his leg is a little thicker. Fortunately it looks like these resculpts are sturdier designs.

I did, but I wasn't referring to Resin minis, I was referring to the metal hunters. 

15 minutes ago, ItsBurgertime said:

I did, but I wasn't referring to Resin minis, I was referring to the metal hunters. 

Oh yeah metal is lousy for chipping with any sort of impact whether you wash it or not. 

19 minutes ago, AspiringPacifist said:

Will the resin models be preassembled, does any know?

Jamie said they weren't, over on facebook

Oh no, this is quite a bit of sad news. So now it's down to pvc and resin and both at a pretty high price. :(

I wonder if any retailers will stock this ... and if they can offer discounts?

Typically retailers are offering 10% plus discounts on products like metal teams, so that could bring the price down a bit. (You effectively get 5% off direct orders if you sign up for the Steamforged loyalty scheme).