Sign in to follow this  
Jotnebane

Killing the ball with masons

I had a game, when Mallett take the ball in the left side/corner, after when he came back from TO, and Brick protected him for three turns :) But it is quite a possible situation.

With Honour - Harmony1 becomes a 5/1 near Brick. Protection from Counter Charge and easy snap back goal potential due to Family and Superior Strategy.

With Hammer - Vet Harmony? 5/0 defensive stat line. She doesn't like front line combat anyway so can sit at the back.

Lucky has a decent defensive stat line at 4/1 but his counter attacks are arguably worse than Harmony's.

Someone suggested on the FB Wrecker as a decent ball killer if you aren't looking for a snap back goal immediately. Makes sense as its a tough nut for Strikers to crack and can be fast when wants to be.

2 hours ago, Scapegoat_Stephen said:

With Honour - Harmony1 becomes a 5/1 near Brick. Protection from Counter Charge and easy snap back goal potential due to Family and Superior Strategy.

Watch out for oSiren though. She can charge Brick, take the pass from Seduced and dodge 4" out, and then pass the ball back into her lines / shoot on goal when in range. Sure, Harmony has a kick of 2/6", but if she'd activated beforehand and this was within 8" of Honour, she's a 4/6". Hitting 5's (oSiren is engaged by Brick) with 4 dice is not unthinkable.

Same counts for the newly arrived Harriet, where she can Sucker Punch Harmony from charging Brick, and then the ball will scatter due to her trait. Far less effective, but you still lose the ball, and that's scary with the likes of Salvo (Tether Ball) and Locus (Remote Control), and therefore also Hoist, in the Engineers list. Sure, you have the ability to retrieve the ball yourself and place it back on Harmony, but now there's no more Counter Charge, as Brick is engaged. In addition to the above two strategies, Puppet Master is still a thing, and most strikers and captains can still take the ball off of her with some ease.

With Hammer - Vet Harmony? 5/0 defensive stat line. She doesn't like front line combat anyway so can sit at the back.

What do you mean 'she doesn't like frontline combat'? She defends your frontline from Character Plays ánd can literally save their life by taking their damage. This means she should always be within 4" of your frontline, which means right in the thick of it. She can be an ideal first or last activation, and with :2: on 2 (or :mom2: on 3) she can really put out some damage.

Someone suggested on the FB Wrecker as a decent ball killer if you aren't looking for a snap back goal immediately. Makes sense as its a tough nut for Strikers to crack and can be fast when wants to be.

ROLANDOOOO!!! Speeding around the map, making the opponent waste resources on trying to catch him (10" per turn is nothing to scoff at!) can be quite valuable, and it only takes 1 INF per turn to do it. Sadly, there are enough models in the football guilds with either 2" or high TAC (or both) that are also faster than him. Alchemists, Engineers and Fishermen should have no problem dealing with this technique. And I think there are no other Guilds you'd really want to kill the ball against (unless they're coming with a 100% 3-0 list).

Actually, Masons have quite some problems with killing the ball (in my opinion, that is). The above mentioned techniques are the best ones I know of, and still I find it better to just score a.s.a.p. and always put pressure on snap back goals with counter charge bubbles and trying to keep their strikers engaged as much as possible.

Mallet holding a momentum for Smashed Shins can be alright. You're not likely to actually keep the ball, but it'll do work in terms of stopping a goal run. Flint isn't a bad option either with Close Control, though I wouldn't rely too heavily on him except against 1" models. Harmony1's defensive stats are pretty reliable as well. I do agree that masons are not super well equipped to completely kill the ball, but the right model holding it within your counter charge bubbles is a reasonable enough deterrent that you should have the opportunity to gain the upper hand through some quick kills or potentially with a tricky Linked activation.

9 hours ago, Nykolae said:

What do you mean 'she doesn't like frontline combat'? She defends your frontline from Character Plays ánd can literally save their life by taking their damage. This means she should always be within 4" of your frontline, which means right in the thick of it. She can be an ideal first or last activation, and with :2: on 2 (or :mom2: on 3) she can really put out some 

I mean she sits behind the frontline she isn't a frontline model herself. Have to be careful if she is that close and baby sitting the ball :)